Scratches on Case Blade

I am new to this forum and not very internet savvy, so I hope I am posting correctly. I recently acquired this Case knife. There are scratches on the blade that are unsightly. Is it possible to remove these scratches without damaging the blade? Is the blade stainless steel or is it plated? Thank you for your assistance. This is a link to a photo. I can't get it to show up like I expected in this thread.

Given the wear, which implies age, and the notable lack of rust, I have to assume it is stainless steel. I am not aware of carbon steel knives plated with stainless but I am also pretty young. The scratches can be cleaned up for sure, but you're going to need to find a knife maker with the right capabilities to do it. I would offer, but I won't be able to preserve the mirror finish. I can satin finish.

The CASE stamping looks like 1940-65 era. Blade is likely chrome-plated carbon steel - Case did this on their older knives. If there's a full-width tang visible between the stag scales, you might look for signs of patina or corrosion (maybe pitting) along the exposed edge of the tang. That'll tell you if it's carbon steel. If the knife is really that old*, it'd probably show there. OR, take a look at the edge bevels, assuming the knife has been sharpened before. The sharpened edge won't have any plating - so a close look at the bevels might also show signs of patina or rust, if the knife hadn't been used or sharpened in awhile.

If the blade is plated, sanding to remove the scratches would also likely strip the plating. Aggressive polishing might do the same. Might do well to let it be.

* - For what it's worth, looking at a closeup of the stag handles makes the knife look that old. They really show some age and character, in an impressive way.

Last edited:
Some Micromesh pads would improve the finish but a lot of work or a professional would be needed to get it to a as new finish.

The CASE stamping looks like 1940-65 era. Blade is likely chrome-plated carbon steel - Case did this on their older knives.

I learned something new, thank you!

If the blade is plated, sanding to remove the scratches would also likely strip the plating. Aggressive polishing might do the same. Might do well to let it be.

Unless of course one is okay with carbon steel, presumably.

ALL of the plating would have to be removed to make the knife look even close to right. This would involve complete dis/re assembly of the knife.
Leave it alone.

Thank you one and all for using your valuable time to assist and educate me. I value the historic value of artifacts like this knife so even though it's finish has been marred by what I assume is improper handling, I will let it be what it is rather than alter its basic characteristics. After reading your thoughts and assessing the knife it appears that the blade was chrome plated. It's a nifty little blade and I think it will be a useful tool when used properly.

Back