1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Scratching the Etching Itch

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by Redmeadow Knives, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Some things in forum life are inevitable, the first of which is that after I tell you that I have a "Personalizer Plus" Etcher on the way, there will be a post about making a homemade one at a tenth of the price. I'm aware of this, and simply chose to buy one and use my swear words on knifemaking, not etcher machine making:D

Those posts are more than welcome as with any other information about etching you want to talk about.

I also have a stencil maker coming from Martronics. One of the biggest things I always heard about etching was the cost of stencils, which are mainly custom made. That always steered me away from the process. With the ability to make my own stencils though, I can have a few different sizes on hand, change fonts, etch designs, dates, names, c......s and things like that, at least that's the goal.

Here we have a video showcasing the technical portion of my brain on standby for etching knowledge.....

2. Dopic1

Dopic1 Irredeemable wood purveyor Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    You aint right my friend, I guess that's what we like about you. :eek::rolleyes::D

Mack, mitch4ging and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  3. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Not sure how much detail I can get something like these fonts would be cool.
    SmartSelect_20191025-191944_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20191025-191929_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20191025-192027_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20191025-192004_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20191025-192038_Chrome.jpg

These are from Dafont.com

mitch4ging likes this.
  4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Well better than my experiments with homemade and stencils made by Kinko's... :rolleyes:
    20191025_201642-1161x1807.jpg

Mack and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  5. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That's awesome Dennis, I'll be picking your brain!

Mack and mitch4ging like this.
  6. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm going to try to fill the etch with some Birchwood Casey bluing see if that gives better contrast.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  7. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That's a good idea, I always wondered if engravers ink would work.

mitch4ging likes this.
  8. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    May have to do an A-B comparison!:thumbsup:

Redmeadow Knives likes this.
  9. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That sounds like a plan. I really like the looks of a blackened deep etch:thumbsup:

mitch4ging likes this.
  10. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Agreed!
    I'm just struggling to make it crisp, get rid of the blurry stuff.

11. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Well I'm a complete etchnoob but we'll see what we can do. I've always heard the stencil has more to do with it than the machine.

This video from Simple Little Life is pretty good.

mitch4ging likes this.
  12. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    That is much more flexible, and I like how he can get such small print, i.e. date.

13. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Yeah, he gets a really nice mark with that date.

mitch4ging likes this.
  14. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I know this is going to sound weird but, I do have a favorite font and it’s Carnival.

The second from the top is the cats pajamas.

T.Knotts and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  15. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That's my favorite by far :thumbsup:

Mack likes this.
  16. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    I keep thinking about etching my mark sometimes also, but I think I still like the way the stamped makers marks looks better.

Redmeadow Knives and T.Knotts like this.
  17. T.Knotts

T.Knotts Moderator Moderator

May 14, 2010
    Agree. That's a nice font.

Mack and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  18. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    That was the one that caught my eye as well. You guys have good taste.

T.Knotts likes this.
  19. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Absolutely no clue what I'm lookin at here, but the Mark 440 Stencil Maker is here.

20191029_210810-01.jpeg

Everything was packed extremely well and very nicely organized. I like to see that attention to detail.

mitch4ging, T.Knotts and Mack like this.
  20. Backyard

Backyard

Jul 19, 2019
    Maybe you're getting the stencils too hot. If you have it turned up too high or hold it on too long it will heat up and soften the adhesive on the stencils. This can cause the edges to lift creating fuzzy edges

On my homemade machine, if I take it slow, and allow time too cool it comes out crisp and clean. I do it a few seconds at a time with a pause to cool. I also dip the pad in the etchent often too