Scratching the Etching Itch

The big one is 0.65 without the tail and 0.75" with the tail. It should look nice on larger blades

The smaller one is about 0.6", it may be a little big for smaller knives, my stamp is 0.45"

Hopefully I can get things to work, no clue what I'm doing here.

Looks like I may need to find a thinner font and space the letters out a little bit more. The M looks a little stout, and the D & O run together. Etcher should be here Thursday.

20191030_025037-01.jpeg

That yellow plastic spreader is the same type used to spread body filler (bondo) on cars. If you need more, look up "body filler spreader" on Amazon. E-Z MIX is one of the better brands.

That yellow plastic spreader is the same type used to spread body filler (bondo) on cars. If you need more, look up "body filler spreader" on Amazon. E-Z MIX is one of the better brands.
That's funny, I thought the same thing and my next thought was, "Rupe will know". Not sure what I use it for though, maybe it's for glass etching?
I love the devil tail Redmedow that will look sweet!
I guess it is a devil's tail huh, I thought it was just a swoopy doo lol.

Looks like Devil's tail to me, now try it out and post some pics.

The etcher should be here Halloween, I'll be chomping at the bit to try it if the sugar crash doesn't hit me beforehand!

The progression of this should be fun to watch. Many of the wind tunnel model parts we have made are etched in a similar fashion. Next time I'm out at the model vendor in Huntington Beach, I'll have to pick their brains a little.

Funny how everyone seems to like the 2nd font. Me too! I don't know if this is good or bad... :eek:

Etcher made it in today, looking forward to testing some stencils. Looks like a well made little unit.
20191101_184613-01.jpeg
tenor.gif

First attempt, too much etch and waaay too much mark. I also need to thin my font, and increase the space between a couple of letters. I need to get a better program, "rich text editor" makes it a pain in the arse.

(Full tang bullnose template for a Guinea pig)
20191101_214045-01.jpeg

NTy4GV6ooFRkjTArCrebYc2WCCmX2KY4SfTbUDpHWg6ZYGREWeXDMaYhCGgLtfWYAUnHpExKeTfZHTh8JrJ8ztxeMad8vYMt6o1ANwsGyF5hPYmoUKp5JLXcC8k69uaQkwTcYRRqsz8t2fdnseHCiwZTC15gSb1k5zZ9nL5B

Try the inkscape. It has a little bit of a learning curve but it's free. Lots of tutorials on YT. You'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Inkscape is perfect so far, I can measure everything, space individual letters, curve things and do all kinds of stuff, good call Tim.

Inkscape is perfect so far, I can measure everything, space individual letters, curve things and do all kinds of stuff, good call Tim.

Save as an SVG and you can enlarge or shrink and not lose resolution

Quick update, I've got a large and a small design that's gonna do the trick.

Had to move to a simpler font. I'll revisit the swoopy swoop when I get some more etchig under my belt, I can't get it crisp enough yet.

The camera skewed these, they look like they're half italics. The top two are the most recent and really crisp to the eye. I gotta quit lookin at them through the Optivisor!

I think these are presentable, let me know what you think.

20191102_172147-01.jpeg

I know this isn't the most excited thread but it's all part of the process. I recorded a video making the stencil and etching, I might add it later.

Back