Seax

Anybody got pictures they would share? I had never seen one till I found the HI forum.....they are soo primitive looking I bet ol' Noah had one tucked in his belt! :)

there is loads of love for the seax, im sure members who have them will share ! -- I know someone was wanting a huge one dont know if he was ready to pay for custom though, seax is one of my "wish list" HI knives.

They did make a giant one at 24" IIRC. but no pics anywhere. Only pics I have seen are of the short one. Lets hope for a run! Maybe a run of villagers from the new Kamis when they catch up?

I'm thinking about making one as first attempt at making my own, and would also appreciate if people could post pictures of their work (my drawings are still coming out misproportioned).
Scaramaseax is one of the names for the longer, more sword proportioned, type.

Well as luck would have it, I decided that I needed to wear my Seax today:) I wanted a robust belt knife, but I didn't want it to be overly heavy like my Spear Vala. I remembered that I hadn't fondled my old Kumar-made Seax in a long, long time.

It's still sporting one of my very first sheath attempts, but I think I'm going to clean it up and crank out a little more form fitting one today as I have time. I'll post up some pics soon. Keep in mind, Kumar no longer works for HI so there may be some variation due to this being a 10+ year old knife:p

OK, here's a quick pic of the seax next to a 12" AK
seaxandak (640x480).jpg

Some specs:
It's right at 14" long over all
8 3/4" of that is blade
it's a hair over 3/16 thick at the spine
I'm going to guess it weighs in at 1.25-1.5lbs
Balance point is right at the junction of the bolster and the blade.
It's got a nice palm swell to the grip which should keep it pretty locked in unless the most forceful of stabs were given with the slickest of hands.

To be as gruesome as possible, if you were to fight with this knife, I would use the mass to chop and give the tip a good whip to slash like a rapier. With the weight behind it, it will easily snap cut the tip creating a 4-5" long gash that will be 1.5+" deep. If a stab would be needed, I would feel most comfortable gripping it so that the swell was in my palm and my thumb sort of resting/pushing down of the shoulder of the bolster. This sort of locks the blade into your hand. It positions it in such a way that a forceful upward thrust would be the most effective strike. In short, it wouldn't be a clumsy Berserker charge, it would be a cu de gras.

There is a very good reason this blade shape has been around about as long as we've been smashing metal flat and putting an edge on it.

I like that old sheath Steely! Has aged nicely and complements that Seax perfectly! Nice job!

Haha, that thing is so WICKED look'n! O' man that would be too much fun wearing it around...walk'n to check in your deer harvest they would look at ya and.... "what the hell is THAT??" :)

Definitely wicked looking, primitive and old looking and of course I want one but it doesn't sing to me. Finally one shark battle I won't feel badly about if I miss out. Make no mistake it looks like a pretty darn useful tool and a great knife, just no music to bawanna's poorly working ears and it's all about the music you know?

Thats what you said at one time about them AK bowies down there in you signature isnt it? I did too until I put one in my hand!:D
I think one of them Seax would look pretty dang good right there under Kal Bahraiv!
Definitely wicked looking, primitive and old looking and of course I want one but it doesn't sing to me. Finally one shark battle I won't feel badly about if I miss out. Make no mistake it looks like a pretty darn useful tool and a great knife, just no music to bawanna's poorly working ears and it's all about the music you know?

The Seax isn't for everyone:) For me, it sings to my german and celtic heritage. Not the most practical knife I own, but it sure is effective at getting its point across;)

Thats what you said at one time about them AK bowies down there in you signature isnt it? I did too until I put one in my hand!:D
I think one of them Seax would look pretty dang good right there under Kal Bahraiv!

This is precisely true, you got me big time. Add another shark to the pool.

They come up from time to time. Like a lot of non-stock items, the seax was a customer driven run starting about 10 years ago. They crop up from time to time, but I haven't seen as many come down the line since Sher and Kumar no longer work for HI. That said, there isn't much of a reason as to why they COULDN'T start showing up again if there are enough pre-paid orders for them.

Auntie said quite some time back that when they got caught up with the move and new kami's and special orders she would have some made up along with some kerambits, and a couple others we don't see to often. That one that Gehazi wants real bad, can't remember what it's called. Little mini sythe.

I suspect given time we'll see some one of these days.

I think that would be the Hasiya. Gonna be a frenzy then! I want one of those 24" giant Seax to Keep my GCB company!
That one that Gehazi wants real bad, can't remember what it's called. Little mini sythe.

I suspect given time we'll see some one of these days.

This thread needs some more photos:

HI_Seaxes02.jpg

saex-slade-sher.jpg

seax-sweet-362.jpg

From the Himalayan Imports site
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/one-time-knives.html

You had me really impressed with your collection till I saw they were from the web site. :) thank you for putting them on here, maybe that will help spark interest and open production again!

Back