Seax

I need to clean mine up and give it a real work out. I don't think I've used it for anything heavy duty since a camping trip....geeze, 8 years ago:eek:

I need to clean mine up and give it a real work out. I don't think I've used it for anything heavy duty since a camping trip....geeze, 8 years ago:eek:

Jake, the Utah mountains are calling you. ;) We have the perfect place to test out blades here. You, your family and Blades are welcome here. ;)

The Seax has interested me for a long time. The Unique shape and my Scottish and Irish history and all. . . .

The Seax blade shape reminds me of some Germanic knife which I had seen a long time ago.
Is there any connection or am I just remembering wrong?

The Seax blade shape reminds me of some Germanic knife which I had seen a long time ago.
Is there any connection or am I just remembering wrong?

Your memory is not wrong.

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Seax (also sax, sæx, sex, latinized sachsum) is an Old English word for "knife".[1] In modern archaeology, the term seax is used specifically for a type of sword or dagger typical of the Germanic peoples of the Migration period and the Early Middle Ages, especially the Saxons, whose tribal name derives from the weapon.[2] ...

"In the continental Germanic area, the following types are defined for seaxes between roughly 450 and 800 AD, in chronological order:[5] ...

"Another typical form of the seax is the so-called broken-back style seax. These seaxes have a sharp angled transition between the back section of the blade and the point, the latter generally forming 1/3 to 3/5 of the blade length. These seaxes exist both in long seax variety (edge and back parallel) and in smaller blades of various lengths (blade expanding first, then narrowing towards the tip after the kink). They occurred mostly in the UK and Ireland, with some examples in Germany around 8th-11th century...."

Your memory is not wrong.

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Seax (also sax, sæx, sex, latinized sachsum) is an Old English word for "knife".[1] In modern archaeology, the term seax is used specifically for a type of sword or dagger typical of the Germanic peoples of the Migration period and the Early Middle Ages, especially the Saxons, whose tribal name derives from the weapon.[2] ...

"In the continental Germanic area, the following types are defined for seaxes between roughly 450 and 800 AD, in chronological order:[5] ...

"Another typical form of the seax is the so-called broken-back style seax. These seaxes have a sharp angled transition between the back section of the blade and the point, the latter generally forming 1/3 to 3/5 of the blade length. These seaxes exist both in long seax variety (edge and back parallel) and in smaller blades of various lengths (blade expanding first, then narrowing towards the tip after the kink). They occurred mostly in the UK and Ireland, with some examples in Germany around 8th-11th century...."

Thank you!
Thats super interesting. The details which you posted here but also that I remember seeing a Seax like 20 years ago in a museum :D
It seems that the broken back Seax, the one which HI makes too, is the most modern version of a Seax. It's also the most appealing seax blade shape to me. Most of the other Seax just look like normal old knives and I couldn't tell the difference. The broken back however jumps out with its uniqueness. Kind of an early Reverse American Tanto.

z3su.jpg

Sweet! Sweet? This is gonna be tough. Lets start over. Awesome Sweet! Looks like it's set up for horizontal carry. I need to avoid this thread, these things are starting to sing to me and the next thing you know I'll be wanting one. Vicious circle don't cha know?

I dig the little car in your avatar, I have no clue what it is but I like the looks of it. Don't think I've ever seen one.

I think that would be the Hasiya. Gonna be a frenzy then! I want one of those 24" giant Seax to Keep my GCB company!

I am lurking hard for a hasiya or kerambit. And a hanshe. There will be no mercy when they drop. I'll overdraft if I have to.

Me too especially Hanshe and kerambit but I'm already beyond overdraft so I got no worries.

Thanks Dino. Cool seax's! I have never forged a blade from scratch before but am considering this style as my first! Gotta finish the forge first.

Me too especially Hanshe and kerambit but I'm already beyond overdraft so I got no worries.

Bad news for me since you are frequently my biggest competition. Youre always early, prefer horn, and you buy up blades like you're the warren buffett of khukris.

But the seax has never really appealed to me. I have no faith in the tip, looks like it would be relatively easy to break.

I see your point crystal (sorry accidental pun). I dont think ive ever seen a pic of the spine at the tip. They may be thick enough there that it may not be a problem. Also they are likely not hardened enough at the tip to break. You would more likely bend it than break it, I maybe wrong but I tend to think they would be hardened much like the Khuks. Anyone gotta spine pic? or distil taper info.
Bad news for me since you are frequently my biggest competition. Youre always early, prefer horn, and you buy up blades like you're the warren buffett of khukris.

But the seax has never really appealed to me. I have no faith in the tip, looks like it would be relatively easy to break.

You got no worries on me for awhile. I usually am very lucky and get here early but my piggy bank is full of dust.
I actually prefer wood, just to clarify that part but I admit some of the horn is very nice too.
Never dreamed I would be compared to warren buffett, don't really know the guy, heard he's richer than Davy Crockett and I do think I'm better looking but not much to compare.
I do want a Hanshe and a Kerambit but it's gonna be a long spell before I step up the EMS plate.

Are you sure your not thinking of Snow wolf or Gehazi by mistake. Now them dudes are warren buffet types. Maybe we could meet at one of the warren buffet all you can eat joints and compare notes.

Warren Buffet? Doesn't he own the Golden Corral restaurants or something?

You got no worries on me for awhile. I usually am very lucky and get here early but my piggy bank is full of dust.
I actually prefer wood, just to clarify that part but I admit some of the horn is very nice too.
Never dreamed I would be compared to warren buffett, don't really know the guy, heard he's richer than Davy Crockett and I do think I'm better looking but not much to compare.
I do want a Hanshe and a Kerambit but it's gonna be a long spell before I step up the EMS plate.

Are you sure your not thinking of Snow wolf or Gehazi by mistake. Now them dudes are warren buffet types. Maybe we could meet at one of the warren buffet all you can eat joints and compare notes.

Oops I totally meant to quote gehazi with this. My b.

Gehazi you are the warren Buffett of khuks.

Oops I totally meant to quote gehazi with this. My b.

Gehazi you are the warren Buffett of khuks.

Gehazi has a lot of Kukris. A looooooot.
Snowshark however is faster. If he keeps at it like this he'll overtake Gehazi in just a few years.

buffet owns american express who owns me-- but I do prefer horn, and am out of cash because of mandaus , so if a hasiya: it is yours. :D
and snow shark is well named, him and bawanna are always here before me, and quietly phill usually is too

my avatar is my collection of khukuris, though I have picked up a few more since

Back