Sebenza 21 Aftermarket Accessories

After searching for a while, I’ve found sources for short “end piece” and full length (or nearly full length) backspacers and cabochons for the small Sebenza 21, but I haven’t been able to find any for the large Sebenza 21. Are there any well-regarded sources for full length or nearly full length backspacers or cabochons for the large Sebenza 21? I’d prefer Timascus or CF pieces, but names of any sources would be appreciated at this point.

Interested in some timascus parts as well for my CRKS!

Timascus or Mokume thumb studs/back spacers. I PMd the gentleman you linked, is there anyone else known to make these?

Thank you.

Thanks for the leads. Before I’d given up my hunt and started this thread, I’d already been in touch with both Boomer52 and TTTis. At this time, both are doing their thing for the small Sebenza only. Both hope to expand into doing the large ones, but neither has any plans or schedule in place to do so in the foreseeable future. It broke my heart, because I would’ve been all over Boomer52’s backspacer and TTTis’s backspacer and cabochon in the blink of an eye.

I originally went to Boomer to have the first prototype made up, that was in G10. He can't actually cut metal with his current setup so I had another person cut them out for me. Then I did all the finishing from raw blanks.

The stuff I put out are really "extras" from pieces I produced that I wanted for my knives. Given I only have two small CRK's I really only make stuff for smalls. Outside of this I run a business so time isn't always on my side. The CRK stuff is kind of my fun hobbyist escape from real life when I can.

Frankly I'm hoping someone else steps up and does make some large accessories. The cabochon would be a much easier accessory for the large. To make a backspacer for the large it is harder than the small and not just because it's bigger. I understand why Southard didn't make a full one. There is so much more machining required for a full and he charged $150 for his out of titanium! On top of all that maintaining the strict tolerances a CRK demands.

I know a lot of people want them for the large, I get the PMs. If this was my full time gig, I would certainly make them happen because the market is there (hint hint other makers). But these things are a SOB to make, truly. If CRK didn't pack so much blade into the handle they would be easier. But of course that is one reason I dig the Seb.

I originally went to Boomer to have the first prototype made up, that was in G10. He can't actually cut metal with his current setup so I had another person cut them out for me. Then I did all the finishing from raw blanks.

The stuff I put out are really "extras" from pieces I produced that I wanted for my knives. Given I only have two small CRK's I really only make stuff for smalls. Outside of this I run a business so time isn't always on my side. The CRK stuff is kind of my fun hobbyist escape from real life when I can.

Frankly I'm hoping someone else steps up and does make some large accessories. The cabochon would be a much easier accessory for the large. To make a backspacer for the large it is harder than the small and not just because it's bigger. I understand why Southard didn't make a full one. There is so much more machining required for a full and he charged $150 for his out of titanium! On top of all that maintaining the strict tolerances a CRK demands.

I know a lot of people want them for the large, I get the PMs. If this was my full time gig, I would certainly make them happen because the market is there (hint hint other makers). But these things are a SOB to make, truly. If CRK didn't pack so much blade into the handle they would be easier. But of course that is one reason I dig the Seb.

Sooooooooo glad i got one of the Ti for my plane 21. Best pocket knife this world have made IMO.

It adds even another dimension to the perfection of a 21. :cool::thumbsup:

I originally went to Boomer to have the first prototype made up, that was in G10. He can't actually cut metal with his current setup so I had another person cut them out for me. Then I did all the finishing from raw blanks. The stuff I put out are really "extras" from pieces I produced that I wanted for my knives. Given I only have two small CRK's I really only make stuff for smalls. Outside of this I run a business so time isn't always on my side. The CRK stuff is kind of my fun hobbyist escape from real life when I can.
I didn’t mean to (if I did) misquote you. Please consider all due apologies as being extended. I’ll choose my words more carefully in the future. I’m just looking forward to finding a maker or provider of >LARGE< Sebenza 21 aftermarket accesories--which at this point appears to be a monumentally frustrating enterprise.

I can relate to your frustrations Stumpy72 Stumpy72 . I've been looking for Umnumzaan parts, and have had zero luck. I'm always looking though, and if I see anything that might work for you I'll drop a message.
Best,
D

I didn’t mean to (if I did) misquote you. Please consider all due apologies as being extended. I’ll choose my words more carefully in the future. I’m just looking forward to finding a maker or provider of >LARGE< Sebenza 21 aftermarket accesories--which at this point appears to be a monumentally frustrating enterprise.

Nope no misquote, you relayed exactly what I told you and I appreciate that! No apology please. I was just explaining in a little better detail for anyone who might ask for the large version. And a bit about how I put stuff out.

Boomer is probably the closest anyone has come to doing a large full spacer. You can follow the trials and tribulations in this thread below. I thought he started to sell some but might be wrong.

Of course now that CRK has a proper lanyard pin for the large it takes one annoyance out of the way. But the blade you can see from the thread below, it just takes up soooo much room. The small does too, but there is just more space to have a finished spacer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/large-sebenza-insingo-full-back-spacers.1492057/

You can see in the small it only really requires the blade relief slot once.

lVFOdvg.jpg

On the large I think the only way to make it happen (and retain the current form) is by extending that milling out into the red line below. I don't love the look that it would result in, but it isn't the "show side" so I think most could live with that.

2vvQ6FJ.jpg

I can relate to your frustrations Stumpy72 Stumpy72 . I've been looking for Umnumzaan parts, and have had zero luck. I'm always looking though, and if I see anything that might work for you I'll drop a message.
Best,
D

I think the Umnum is actually the best suited for the full geared ti blasted spacer, it would look awesome. That was one I was going to try to do one run on. Unfortunately a non starter after realizing it has no stop pin sleeve. You could put a pin through the scales to hold in place, but for most that is a deal breaker.

I also thought a set of timascus studs built exactly like the current ones out of timascus barstock would look very neat.

I do machine a large 21 back spacer that uses the MXG Gear stepped lanyard pin... however that pin is $12 plus shipping. When CRK came out with their $5 pin... I felt saving money is highly desirable so I ceased development on the large back spacer using the MXG Gear pin and decided to tailor for the CRK pin.

I have not moved forward with this as I do not currently have a large 21 on hand to proof my modified machine code for fitment. The center barrel of the MXG Gear and CRK lanyard pins differ and required a change in my Gcode for this barrel diameter difference.

As stated by TTTis... my CNC employs a high speed spindle... 12,000 to 21,000 rpms. Much too high a speed to achieve a proper chip load for milling metals. I also no longer machine Micarta so that limits me to a carbon fiber or G10 spacer which may find favor with a smaller segment of large 21 owners.

Back