Sebenza 25 diminishing the value and collectibility of older knives

Its become apparent to me that CRK receives a vast amount of feedback from their customers. The feedback ranges from the "Idaho Made" stamp to the new micarta inlays on the Sebenza 25. I find it interesting that CRK seldom adjusts the product to fit customer desires; this brings me to the Sebenza 25. No pivot bushing, Idaho Made stamp, pocket clip hot spot, blade notch and questionable inlays soon coming down the pipe.

If the knife itself is slowly moving away from features people desire, its logical that people will purchase the knife in fewer numbers. This leads me to believe the current Sebenza will eventually hurt the resale values of past models, due to a lack of future interest in the brand.

We may not see the effects of this 6 months to a year out, but once the 25 is the sole Sebenza being produced, its a real possibility.

I have always wanted a Sebenza. That is probably going to stay the same until I get one.

I think the 25 will make the older 21's cost more.

As the 25 came out, I plan to buy as many 21's as possible before it is discontinued and only 25's are made.

The 25 generally sells out within hours of any dealer getting them in. They sell quickly on the exchange and Regs are as hot as they have ever been....

As the 25 came out, I plan to buy as many 21's as possible before it is discontinued and only 25's are made.

HwangJino, you make an excellent point. The older CRK's have features people desire, thereby driving the price up. This certainly applies to the classic, regular and 21 soon. What happens when the next generation of buyers don't find the current knife appealing? Its unlikely they'll develop an interest in the brand.

I don't think we'll get to a point where older Sebenza's will diminish in value simply because there is no knife out there like it, not even the new ones. I don't appreciate stubborn businesses and don't support them. All the things you mentioned are easily remedied and simply because one has been making something for a quarter, half, or an entire century doesn't mean they have taste. With that being said I think CRK will always have market appeal, if it's not a Sebenza for the seasoned it is one for the uninitiated. For as many that dislike thick blades, there are as many that do want them, same can be said for bigger pivots, aggressive spine grooves, ceramic lock interface, semi-flat grind, handle grooves, thin handle, pocket clip placement and design, etc.

I will note that my favorite is the Regular with a swedge.

Last edited:
I love CRK's and just about always have (at least) one on me. I gave the 25 a try mostly based upon other owners' praise. It wasn't for me, and frankly it has dimmed my view just a little bit of CRK, as I really don't see it as a true Sebenza. And while it may be true that they are moving off dealer shelves well, they also seem to take a bit more hit in resale as compared to other iterations of the Sebbie.

I agree. I think the OP has got it completely wrong. The original Sebs will climb in value.

I agree. I think the OP has got it completely wrong. The original Sebs will climb in value.

I respect your opinion, but think we're looking at different periods of time. In the near term will 21's and older increase in value? Probably.

Look past that. As Officer's Match stated, the 25 has dimmed his view of CRK a bit. CRK won't be able to live off their previous reputation forever.

Last edited:

Agreed. That's the way it always works. Especially if the older models are discontinued.

Internet Fact: if the 21s were made of congealed cat poop and were discontinued, they'd become gold-dust. It's simply rather nice that they happen to be excellent.

Keep in mind,

1. Bladeforums is not the whole CRK customer base.

2. Complaints may be common but sales are more important. Chris and Anne know what sells. They are strategic manufacturers. They just went through a huge job in opening an expanded factory.

Why can't CRK create a new reputation? Not everybody loves the older Sebenzas either.

And opinions, as we all know, vary wildly. I, for example, prefer the 25 over the 21 in every way. Interesting to read this thread.

I doubt the 21 will ever stop being made.
To many folks love that and dont care for the 25 like myself. I will only buy a 21.
Im sure the value of older models will climb, and good for them.

Its become apparent to me that CRK receives a vast amount of feedback from their customers. The feedback ranges from the "Idaho Made" stamp to the new micarta inlays on the Sebenza 25. I find it interesting that CRK seldom adjusts the product to fit customer desires; this brings me to the Sebenza 25. No pivot bushing, Idaho Made stamp, pocket clip hot spot, blade notch and questionable inlays soon coming down the pipe.

If the knife itself is slowly moving away from features people desire, its logical that people will purchase the knife in fewer numbers. This leads me to believe the current Sebenza will eventually hurt the resale values of past models, due to a lack of future interest in the brand.

We may not see the effects of this 6 months to a year out, but once the 25 is the sole Sebenza being produced, its a real possibility.

Well this is a great place for all of us to voice our opinions...so here is mine. I not sure any of us know that CRK receives VAST amouts of feedback about anything. I think only CRK's know what they get. I know a lot of people say what they like and dislike but that does not mean they actually send it to CRK'S. And if CRK's did everything everyone wanted to the Sebenza might look like pretzel, we maybe not but I think you get my drift. Lots of people say why not a flipper or changeable scales or no stamp or what ever. It is his knife and he seems to have done a damn good job. As far as the 25 I do not know, I have never held one but hope to soon. I here, as we all have, that it is the best to I don't like it at all, but then then I have heard that about the 21. I think it would take some real research to find out if people are slowly moving away from the 25 not just reading some post and making an guess. As far as the 21 losing value...well the 55, 56 and 57 chevys have not been hurt by any model that has come after them. Just my thoughts.

I think your analogy to automotive is a good one. I look at this scenario similar to Pontiac. Pontiac had some great models in it's day- the GTO, the Trans Am and Bonneville. Look at what decades of the Aztec, Solstice and Sunfire did to the brand. Do the old Pontiac's still have a following? Of course. But the brand does not have the following or command the premium of classic Fords and Chevrolets. These are brands who have kept up with customer desires over the years.

I remember the same thing said about the regular & classic when the 21 was introduced.
I personally like all the variation and I guess I can admit that I am a "fan".
I like the 25, the umnumzaan, the 21, the regular the classic.....................

Do let's not forget that we're talking about an item that will *always* be worth between $300 and $500 dollars. The end. A couple of beers and a good cigar and I've spent about as much as the market will ever vary. :)

I think the OP with only 18 posts is making assuuptions that are way off in the wrong direction. The 25 isn't going to effect 21 sales in a negative way.

The older models will still be are popular and expensive as they are now.

I have never seen or heard anything from CRK to suggest the 25 is intended to replace the 21. Although the numerical sequence might suggest it, I've always seen them as totally different offerings. The 25 is not an upgraded 21, its a new model, with its own features and market.

Has there ever been any official statement from CRK stating the 25 will replace the 21? Anyone got the facts?

My guess is an updated 21 (sebenza 28), with the bushing system and thinner blade stock, is more likely.

Back