Sebenza 25 Micarta

I also inquired with CRK regarding this one and she said it "may change" but did not have any further details available on it.

Like MRaymond I saw it on my phone first and thought it was hideous. So, I checked it out on my computer--still hideous.

The same thing was said about the "Idaho Made" engraving and all customer input was just ignored in favour of keeping it and keeping it as it originally was. I dare say it will be just the same for these inlays......CRK should really just say no rather than giving the impression they would make changes, even on heavy customer demand.

I have never much liked the two piece inlays and can't say I'm into these either. I'm not particularly surprised given that the two piece inlay is very much a CRK thing but more symmetrical inlays like we see on the 21 would be far superior, IMO. The few people touting the probable benefit to retention or ergonomics as the only positive here shows how much of a miss this is. Inlays really make little difference to either during use at the end of they day and are largly if not purely aesthetic in nature.

One word: Hideous!

will have to see one in real life, but I hope this is not the way they go or my Sebenza collecting days might be over.

I don't like the looks of the micarta, but there is no reason to think that the 25 costs less for them to make. I get the impression that it actually costs more.

This is a serious question: do you, or anyone else, know if they hand fit each blade while hand sanding (maybe multiple times) the washers during construction as with the 21? I don't know if the 25 is cheaper or more expensive to produce than the 21, but I'd be really surprised if the pivot tolerances are as tight now that they can simply tighten the pivot a tiny bit to remove lateral slop. If so, good job CRK!

I'm sure there is still some hand fitting of the blade to insure proper lock up but without the bushing, blade play is set with pivot screw adjustment not washer thickness.

the more I look at it the uglier it gets.
Someone must have been drunk on the design board

I'm sure BF members only represent a small fraction of CRK customers - but based off everyone's initial impression I can't see these flying off the shelves.

I'm just hoping the knife was shot at a weird angle that is making the inlay look wonky.

Hopefully someone will get one in hand so we can get a better idea of what this looks like.

It might not be set in stone, there was talk at the CRK booth today at SHOT on the issue and it sounded like there could be changes to the Micarta inserts from the sample they had there, though I only heard that the production models the micarta inserts might be wider in nature, nothing to do with being one-vs-two or curved/strait etc. The sample they had there actually felt very nice in the hand, the inserts do not stick out as far from the handle either and I think that's an improvement I never liked the additional thickness the micarta inserts created in the older designs.

It might not be set in stone, there was talk at the CRK booth today at SHOT on the issue and it sounded like there could be changes to the Micarta inserts from the sample they had there, though I only heard that the production models the micarta inserts might be wider in nature, nothing to do with being one-vs-two or curved/strait etc. The sample they had there actually felt very nice in the hand, the inserts do not stick out as far from the handle either and I think that's an improvement I never liked the additional thickness the micarta inserts created in the older designs.

Less space between the two inlays (by making the inlays a little "wider") may be the improvement it needs, now that I think about it.

Less space between the two inlays (by making the inlays a little "wider") may be the improvement it needs, now that I think about it.

That's what I thought too. If they stretched the inlays closer together, I think it would be more visually appealing.

Yeah it felt really good, but it's hard to say what the production models will actually look like, maybe the same or perhaps tweaked a bit. I'm sure they got a lot of feedback over the show, 3-4 guys wanted to look at that particular knife in the couple minutes I was there. I believe the rep there said that in the rush to get a version to the show the handle was not even inlet for the inserts, they were simply put on with adhesive for demo purposes.

Interestingly the flyer on the 25 with Micarta mentions "Although there are other "variations" of the Sebenza 25 planned, there is no timeline yet".

Great info. At least it doesn't seem its a "set in stone" type of decision yet.

I guess eventually we will all get used to it, but still agree that the 21 inlay looks a bit better.

I agree with a lot of the people here.. I definitely agree that a one-piece inlay design would have looked much more handsome IMO.
I have yet to hold a 25, because I am waiting for the wooden inlays to match my 21.
However, even though this current design is far from attractive to me, I might buy a wooden inlayed one just for my collection and to have a nice set.

I don't know, maybe I got too spoiled with the handsome looks of the 21.
When I first saw the 25, I hated it. No bushing system, choils, hot spot pocket clip..
But the more I see it, the more it grows on me.
Maybe it will be like that with the inlayed 25?
I can only hope.

This may be the ugliest "embellishment" I've seen on a knife in a long time. The only way to make it more hideous would be to file work the crap out of it.

Kill it with fire before it breeds.

Back