Sebenza 25 Question

After long debating if I should spend the money, today I got a Sebenza 25. Love the knife so far, but one question/complaint. The knife is very hard to get started opening. Is there any way to adjust it, so it opens a little easier, but the blade is still tight? It's pretty much impossible to open with one hand, which sucks, cause lots of times I really need to open my knife one handed.

Sand down the top of the thumbstud. It will make it a little more comfortable to open. It's never going to open like an axis lock or Spyderco though.

I think you may just need to break it in. The detent should get a bit easier to break. My 21 was the same way.

DO NOT Sand down the thumb stud.....!!!!! Give it time to break in. The 25 has a stronger detent and it takes some time to wear in. The luxery of the zaan and 25 is that you can set the blade tension since the pivot is in a sense adjustable. Just a 1/8" turn will make a difference, the tolerances are that tight. Also, when new, the lube tends to be sludge-like if you will on some. This is not routine, but I have purchased new ones that were tighter than others.

Mine became easier to open with time. It now works fine. Open and close yours 100 times a day for a couple of weeks.

I sympathize with you M.Link. My 25 was a bear too but I stuck with it, suffered thumb bruise, etc. I also took the 25 down, cleaned and lubed it back up and left the pivot on the loose side. Now after the take down/clean & lub and break in period it's nearly as smooth as my easily deployable Umnumzaan.

After long debating if I should spend the money, today I got a Sebenza 25. Love the knife so far, but one question/complaint. The knife is very hard to get started opening. Is there any way to adjust it, so it opens a little easier, but the blade is still tight? It's pretty much impossible to open with one hand, which sucks, cause lots of times I really need to open my knife one handed.

Three things you may already know:

1- be sure you are not putting undue pressure on the lockbar with your fingers.

2 - draw an imaginary line between the Center of the pivot and the Center of the
thumbstud. Push against the stud perpendicular to this line to achieve maximum leverage to break the detent free. This direction is neither straight outwards, nor straight forward. This knowledge will be acquired unconsciously and naturally over time as you get used to the knife, but if you are conscious of it to start, it might make it easier.

3 - try digging your nail in behind the stud for the push, rather than jamming the stud into your thumb. I found this easier at first,

Thanks for the replies! Don't worry, I won't be sanding anything lol I have tried pushing different ways, it's hard every way, and I found that once it "pops" past the detent, my thumb slips, and comes very close to getting cut on the edge. I'm going to give it time to break in, as that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure that breaking it in will eventually free it up.

As nyefmaker said, losses the pivot screw a tad. Very little is needed. Also a good cleaning and a very thin layer of grease will help.

Not to sound contrary but lots of folks sand the very pointy top of the thumbstud a tad. But again it will never open like a Spyderco or axis lock. Still an excellent platform for a knife!

The opening should feel smooth and hydraulic but don't expect a flipper. With use and a bit of pivot adjustment it'll work in just fine!
I also wouldn't suggest sanding or modifying any parts.

? More info?

Spring loaded gloves. Obviously.

Seriously though, some good advice so far. If you are doing all of the things suggested by kidcongo and the action is smooth and the pivot properly tensioned, I'd say it just needs to break in a bit more. The detent ball on the 25 is a bit larger that a lot of other knives and may just need a bit more time to wear it's way in to the tang. Exercise that puppy for a while. I bet it gets better soon enough.

Mine was very hard to get past detent I kept at it delt with bruised thumb. Now it's much easier to open but it could be my thumb has a toughened up. Once you get used to the detent it does seem to flick out a little better then my 21's but there is definitely more effort required.

Posted earlier:

The grease CRK uses is very good stuff, but it also can make the blade a bit too hydraulic or difficult to open, especially when it has dried a bit.
I use Nano-Oil products, so when people send me their Sebenza's for sharpening and/or a bit of TLC, i always ask them how they would like the action to be on their knives when i re-assemble them again.
To keep that rather heavy hydraulic opening i use Nano Grease, for a noticeable easier but still hydraulic feel when opening i use 85 weight Nano-Oil, and for an even easier & especially faster opening i use 10 weight Nano-Oil or 5 weight Nano-Oil.

I can see loosening the pivot, or a little breakin time, but I don't understand having to send a $400+ knife back to the factory so it will open smoothly :confused:

Back