Recommendation? Sebenza 25 Std. or Sebenza 21 Tanto

Hello CRK aficionados,
I'm looking for recommendation from you experienced folks on what I should grab next. Really enjoying the Sebenza 31 I just picked up!! And as I'm sure you all understand I'm starting to look at other CRK models/blade shapes. :D

I really like the look of the CRK tanto blade, so I've been looking at a 21 tanto, and I also like the look of the 25 with the standard blade. Looks kinda like a mashup of a 21 and a 'Zaan. Is the Inkosi the re-incarnation of the 25? It really looks a lot like the 25 with a few subtle differences...

There are only a few of either floating around at dealers, and I'm trying to decide between the 25 with micarta and the 21 tanto with micarta next. I'll most likely "buy both! :thumbsup:", but need to space out my other purchases. I'm new to CRK and I don't have a good feel for which model is likely to disappear completely before I can buy one relatively easily.

What say you ?

Oh, and thanks for getting me started on another super addictive brand, ya enabling MONSTERS! ;):p

The inkosi is an evolved version of the 25. The 25 has a stop pin that needs to be adjusted just right. Not a big deal but I rather have the Inkosi.

Just to mess you up even further (do we ever really help?)...the tanto blade on the Umnumzaan is the nicest tanto of them all, IMHO

Man, that’s a hard one to choose from. The 25’s pop up here from time to time at very reasonable prices. But so do the 21 tanto’ s
Most people don’t care for the tanto, so it might hang around longer. But then again, the 25 was retired and was replaced by the Inkosi. They didn’t just fly off the shelves when the Inkosi came out.
There is a thread about the difference between the 25 and Inkosi. If you read it, it’ll give the insight on the difference between the two.
I’d say get the 25 only because I’m bias, I own 5 25’s and 3 Inkosi’s
I do have a couple 21 tanto’ s , but I use the Umnumzaan tanto the most.
Top is a 21, bottom is a Umnumzaan

64C447C0-11A4-49F5-B861-C98B9185E547.jpeg

21 Tanto.
Reeve tantos are awesome.
The 25 never excited me, largely because of the stop pin issue and the seated washers always seemed wonky to me. The Inkosi cured those issues. Obviously there are folks who love the 25, so it’s just my opinion.

I have a small 21 micarta tanto and love it. It’s been hard for me to not pick up a large to keep it company.

My vote fwiw is for the 21 tanto, then inkosi later. 25 would be something as a collector but as a user it’s the worst of the three imho. I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever you decide

Thank you all for your comments and opinions!!!!!

The inkosi is an evolved version of the 25. The 25 has a stop pin that needs to be adjusted just right. Not a big deal but I rather have the Inkosi.
Ow. Thanks for the heads up!!! I REALLY don't like disassembling my blades, so this puts the 25 in a holding pattern for me until I can read more about this.

Just to mess you up even further (do we ever really help?)...the tanto blade on the Umnumzaan is the nicest tanto of them all, IMHO
I had a 'Zaan with a standard blade, but I just didn't love it, so I moved it on. I do like the tanto on the one in your pix, but I'm gonna have to think about that for awhile.

My vote is for the inkosi
I think the Inkosi will now move to #2 on the "need to buy me one of them" list...

Man, that’s a hard one to choose from. The 25’s pop up here from time to time at very reasonable prices. But so do the 21 tanto’ s
Most people don’t care for the tanto, so it might hang around longer. But then again, the 25 was retired and was replaced by the Inkosi. They didn’t just fly off the shelves when the Inkosi came out.
There is a thread about the difference between the 25 and Inkosi. If you read it, it’ll give the insight on the difference between the two.
I’d say get the 25 only because I’m bias, I own 5 25’s and 3 Inkosi’s
I do have a couple 21 tanto’ s , but I use the Umnumzaan tanto the most.
Top is a 21, bottom is a Umnumzaan

View attachment 1504556
I'll hunt down the article on the 21 vs. the 25 and read it. Ajack60 Ajack60 have you had issues with the stop pin on your 25's?

21 Tanto.
Reeve tantos are awesome.
The 25 never excited me, largely because of the stop pin issue and the seated washers always seemed wonky to me. The Inkosi cured those issues. Obviously there are folks who love the 25, so it’s just my opinion.

I have a small 21 micarta tanto and love it. It’s been hard for me to not pick up a large to keep it company.
I'm now leaning heavily toward the LG 21 Tanto, moving the LG Inkosi to purchase after that with an Insingo blade. I have a feeling that's going to lead to a LG 21 Insignio and LG Inkosi Tanto too.
Bad kitty. Bad. :p:D

My vote fwiw is for the 21 tanto, then inkosi later. 25 would be something as a collector but as a user it’s the worst of the three imho. I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever you decide
Yeah, I'm a "If I bought it, it goes in my carry/use rotation" kinda KnifeKnut... Doesn't matter if its an inexpensive blade or a $$$$ Shiro. I do have nice Pelican storage but nothing I own is strictly a safe queen.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to give me feedback, I really appreciate it!!!!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

evltcat evltcat , my first 25 had the pinned stop pin. It didn’t move at all. Then I got the newer ones that has screws on both sides. The first time I took it down and cleaned it, sure enough the stop pin sleeve rotated and the blade would not close. I didn’t realize there is a flat spot on the sleeve that has to be in the correct position in order for the knife to work. It took a couple of try’s to get it right. Now, I pay attention to where the flat part needs to be. Once everything is tightened down the stop sleeve doesn’t move.
The washer on the lock side has a tab on it that fits in a divot on the slab. Folks have bent them.

evltcat evltcat , my first 25 had the pinned stop pin. It didn’t move at all. Then I got the newer ones that has screws on both sides. The first time I took it down and cleaned it, sure enough the stop pin sleeve rotated and the blade would not close. I didn’t realize there is a flat spot on the sleeve that has to be in the correct position in order for the knife to work. It took a couple of try’s to get it right. Now, I pay attention to where the flat part needs to be. Once everything is tightened down the stop sleeve doesn’t move.
The washer on the lock side has a tab on it that fits in a divot on the slab. Folks have bent them.
Ah, yep I've missed "keyed" parts in blades as well, and it didn't end well... Had to send it in to be reassembled correctly.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate your experience!!!!

Just pulled the trigger on this:
50930317003_a4484308bd_o.jpg

Thank you all for your help!! :D

I've been on the prowl for plain tantos recently to avail. I can't believe how plentiful the inlaid ones still are though.

She's here!! And, Me likey!!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
50981145342_074d26c902_k.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Japanese Tanto, but man, this CRK Tanto really does it for me!!!! :eek::D

50980341618_00229e2f16_k.jpg

I did a little pocket clip upgrade. I really like the Millit clip, doesn't push down on the lockbar like the stock clip.

50981049996_3e3a65355d_k.jpg

I agree with you guys, I REALLY like the red linen micarta too.

Thanks again all!!!

Back