Sebenza 31 Hype Thread

I noticed we don’t yet have a thread for the Sebenza 31, so I figured I’d make one. I’m also partly interested in what everyone thinks of the upgrade to CRK’s flagship model, as I’ve heard some vastly different reactions since hearing about the change.
I am thinking about getting one because I love my inkosi. The ceramic ball interface gets some hate, but I personally really like it. The 31 also has a canted clip, which I love over the clip placement on the 21. On the other hand... I feel like the Sebenza 31 is just a worse inkosi. The inkosi has a thicker blade stock, thicker pivot, and thicker stop pin. All for the same price.
What’s everyone think about it? Love it? Hate it? Voice it here! I, and maybe a few others reading this thread, have got a $375 decision to make.

I will get one for sure
What I am not sure about is which one :)
I think I will go for the basic large DP plain Jane but the black micarta is kind of growing on me.... may end getting both at one point :)

Im usually a flipper kind of guy but I really want a 31 w, bog oak inlay....

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to the 31. It somewhat combines the Inkosi and 21 to me. The ceramic ball is a big plus for me. I’ve never experienced serious per say lock stick with my 21’s but there is a bit of stick on some. Nothing major but it’s there. No real problem but it’s something in my head. With my Inkosi’s and Umnumzaan I don’t have any issues with stick. And lot of times on my 21s if I clean them it’ll go away. I’ve got a chain mail lefty 31 and a plain handle Damascus on order. The angled clip I prefer but the 21 clip isn’t that far behind in preference. I feel as if it’s improvements. The locating hole being gone is debatable. But just like after time I don’t even notice the hole is there I’m sure I’ll forget that it’s gone. As far as the inlays go I haven’t gave it much thought. They don’t stand out and grab my attention that I want one. But I’m not a huge fan of the 21 inlays as far as looks. Prefer the Inkosi inlay style. I’m sure down the road I’ll own one tho

^ My brand new large 21 has a little lock stick. I've only had it for a few days so it might go away. My last brand new sebenza was in 2013, so I don't remember if it's something that I've had before. Like your experience. Very minimal but still there.

I think I'd like to see some new milled patterns for the 31 to make it look a little less plain. At the moment I don't care for the shape of the inlay. For example, I think they could have moved the CR logo on the scale and made the inlay go up into that area. I don't like how the inlays are cut to leave that bare patch for the logo.

Last edited:
I’ll miss the gem inserts. CRK did such a good job with the unique graphics incorporating the gem with the graphic that truly made one unique.
On the other hand, the CCG’s will look better without the hole. I’m not a big wood inlay fan, the 31 reminds me of the annuals. I’m sure the micarta and carbon fiber will grow favorably for me. I’ll pick one up with micarta first. Other than that, it’s always exciting to see what’s in store or th 31’s

I’ll miss the gem inserts. CRK did such a good job with the unique graphics incorporating the gem with the graphic that truly made one unique.
On the other hand, the CCG’s will look better without the hole. I’m not a big wood inlay fan, the 31 reminds me of the annuals. I’m sure the micarta and carbon fiber will grow favorably for me. I’ll pick one up with micarta first. Other than that, it’s always exciting to see what’s in store or th 31’s
I thought they they were still going to do the cabochons. The lunar landing as an example.
I’m thinking now there are just more options for placement.

I thought they they were still going to do the cabochons. The lunar landing as an example.
I’m thinking now there are just more options for placement.

You are absolutely correct, I didn’t read that far into the 31 thread. It will be interesting how the placement will fall out.

Has anyone had a 31 order filled through the shop yet. I ordered a lunar landing large back in June.

Only cool thing about the 31 is the one piece inlays. Hate the ceramic ball detent. Had issues with the umnumzaan failing and closing and cutting my hand, so ummm...no thanks. That’s why I never bought an Inkosi. I do have a 25 that has been flawless. Did I just get 3 bad umnumzaans...? Either way, I am still at 1-3. Luckily there are 1,000’s of 21’s out there to be had if so desired.

Only cool thing about the 31 is the one piece inlays. Hate the ceramic ball detent. Had issues with the umnumzaan failing and closing and cutting my hand, so ummm...no thanks. That’s why I never bought an Inkosi. I do have a 25 that has been flawless. Did I just get 3 bad umnumzaans...? Either way, I am still at 1-3. Luckily there are 1,000’s of 21’s out there to be had if so desired.

You bum me out man. Do you have the same issue or fear of failure on the Inkosi?

I feel the same way you do about the 31 and I see plenty of 21 in the wild as well.

If the Zaan doesn't open with enough force the O-rings seem to prevent it from locking in place. I searched for a thread about it and found you posting in it in 2010. lol

Mine does the same thing. When you open it "very" softly, the lock only engages like 15% if that because the "O" rings are not compressed. I did slightly hit the spine on my hand and it will close sometimes. If you open it normally, it engages a full 60% like its supposed too. Its all about understanding the knife and how it works. I only did this when I first got it and while initially examining it. Its not a sebenza, even though the lock is similar. I do not condone "spine wacks", because doing this solves Nothing and gives people improper information and thoughts about the knife. As you guys know, from my many posts, I have used the zaan Heavily with Never An Issue. I trust the knife completely and have Nothing bad to say about the umnumzaan overall, the lock, swedge, etc. Chris designed a great knife and has tested it thoroughly. Open it with a normal flick and you will Never have an issue. I have talked to Charmaine and she is great. There is no need to send the knife in as there is nothing wrong with it.

You bum me out man. Do you have the same issue or fear of failure on the Inkosi?

I feel the same way you do about the 31 and I see plenty of 21 in the wild as well.[/QUOTE

I feel the same way you do about the 31 and I see plenty of 21 in the wild as well.

Do I trust the ceramic ball lockup 100%...? Nope. My 25 has never given me any issues though. I quit carrying it several years ago though.

If the Zaan doesn't open with enough force the O-rings seem to prevent it from locking in place. I searched for a thread about it and found you posting in it in 2010. lol

I remember. I will state that the issues with my umnumzaans were all the old style pivot versions before the lockbar stop was added. I never bought a newer version to try based on my experience with them. I had a lengthy conversation with Chris on the phone about it afterwards. I did use the one quite heavily after Chris fixed it, but in the end, just did not trust it. That’s just me and my opinion. Chris Always did good by me though.

I remember. I will state that the issues with my umnumzaans were all the old style pivot versions before the lockbar stop was added. I never bought a newer version to try based on my experience with them. I had a lengthy conversation with Chris on the phone about it afterwards. I did use the one quite heavily after Chris fixed it, but in the end, just did not trust it. That’s just me and my opinion. Chris Always did good by me though.

I will admit that I don't really care for the O-rings on the stops. I've had no issues with Inkosi lockups. I do get why people who like the 21's don't like the changes to the 31.

Back