Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

This should be a great selling point:) nothing the knife world likes more than lock rock :). I am astounded that CRK would even use the term in describing the movement. Presuming all is true, they will either need a fix , better explanation or both.

My friend Metal Complex, who has absolutely no reason whatsoever to lie. He has a photo of a written reply about it from CRK. I will ask him for it and shoot a link to it here once I have it from him. Guessing you all haven't had this issue yourselves?

I didn't mean he was lying, but YouTubers generally make their mark on the world by making videos based on opinions.

I own a large 31 that was built in January. I do notice that with some force, I can get a minute amount of vertical movement in the blade. I hesitate to call it "lock rock". That makes it sound worse than I believe it is. The ceramic ball never moves from it's position against the blade tang. It feels more like the lockarm flexing ever so slightly with the ceramic ball as the "teeter point" for lack of a better term.

I've seen a few people share their opinion on this. I thought it was strange when I first noticed it but honestly, I haven't even really thought about it since. I'm not personally concerned as I don't believe that the lock is in any danger of failing. I've seen some people share that sentiment but I can also understand why some people are concerned or upset.

I own the large Inkosi it has no lock play for NOW! but I think 21's are better built overall knife, just saying.

Here is a quick illustration of what I believe is going on as far as the perceived vertical movement. Pressing down on the blade spine results is the lockarm being flexed upwards as it pivots over the ceramic ball. I'm guessing it's only present on the 31 because the overall geometry of the locking arm (same geometry as the 21) was originally designed to have 2 flat faces mating while the umnumzaan and Inkosi were designed with the ceramic ball in mind. Again, it's a tiny amount of movement and it is not the lock slipping. I understand that still may be an issue for many people. I'm just trying to share the most accurate information I can.
9pVnGV2EWCfm7NRq9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9pVnGV2EWCfm7NRq9

So question...if you are using the 31, putting force against the cutting edge...do you get flex? Or is this just a “spinewackers” problem?

So question...if you are using the 31, putting force against the cutting edge...do you get flex? Or is this just a “spinewackers” problem?

I can only speak on my experience. There is no flex when using the 31 to cut with pressure being applied to the edge. Its only when applying pressure to the spine of the knife to try to force it closed.

kylemiller kylemiller , have you seen/experienced any lock rock on your 31 ?. Nothing was mentioned in your review. It would be nice to hear from an actual user/owner.

I gave it a wiggle when I got it and didn't detect any. After reading this thread and re-wiggling, maybe? I can't tell if it's actually there or I'm psyching myself out. I don't have a large 21 at the moment to compare to. But now I'm sure it's going to haunt me. :|

With enough pressure, lockbars either flex, or the lock slips. I would much rather have the flex, which is what it sounds like. Im very curious how much pressure it takes though. If its a small amount of pressure to get the flex, then I think CRK needs to go back to the drawing board.

Mine is on its way.

I just wacked it on the same roll of masking tape that sent my ZT's to the secondary market and can't get the lock to fail. Will not wack on anything harder, sorry.

It's not a spine wacker s problem . It's a problem in general to have a little blade play on a knife that expensive. Atleast for me. I always noticed it a little on the Inkosi. Not on the 21 or Umnum.

I've spoke to a few guys and they said the same thing. It has a bit of wiggle vertically.

Back