Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I kinda figured as much. That’s all I needed to read.

The more I play with it after reading this thread the more confident I am in saying that mine doesn't have any rock. I do not have a YouTube channel, so take my grug examination for what it's worth. It's entirely possible I'm just not detecting it. All it's done so far is build confidence because I put forces on it that tbh, I never put on a 21 in regular use. Never really had a reason to "test" one either. But science found me today so these are my finding.

Also would note how well it's breaking in. What's it been a week? Mine is breaking in well and I'm still not tempted to sell or trade, which is rare for me.

The more I play with it after reading this thread the more confident I am in saying that mine doesn't have any rock.

With their warranty work and available spa services, I'm sure you can send it back to CRK so they can add back the missing feature.......:cool:

Never even heard of the term Lock Rock before reading this thread....crazy.

The more I play with it after reading this thread the more confident I am in saying that mine doesn't have any rock. I do not have a YouTube channel, so take my grug examination for what it's worth. It's entirely possible I'm just not detecting it. All it's done so far is build confidence because I put forces on it that tbh, I never put on a 21 in regular use. Never really had a reason to "test" one either. But science found me today so these are my finding.

Also would note how well it's breaking in. What's it been a week? Mine is breaking in well and I'm still not tempted to sell or trade, which is rare for me.

Somehow, I don’t think the nomenclature is correct in saying lock rock. I try to use my knives the way the makers intended for them to be used. I have used the swedge on my Umnumzaan to scrape paint off pipe. Can’t say I’ve used any other knife for that purpose. Now, a fixed blade is a different story.
I’ve got several 25’s, when the Inkosi came out, I couldn’t believe how smoother it is out of the box over the 25. I’m hoping the 31 is the same.

It's not a spine wacker s problem . It's a problem in general to have a little blade play on a knife that expensive. Atleast for me. I always noticed it a little on the Inkosi. Not on the 21 or Umnum.

I've spoke to a few guys and they said the same thing. It has a bit of wiggle vertically.

The “spinewhackers” was a “funny” on my part. Lol. Shoulda put a wink.
I can make the bar flex on my Zaan, which i think is fine, because I use it and its never failed. Only way I can make the bar flex is downward pressure on the spine. I dont detect movement when using it appropriately.
IMO if someone is stabbing stuff and wiggling the blade out, you could possibly detect some movement. Of all the 31 at BS this past year, I didnt detect any movement, and Im usually very keen on that. :)
I feel like in order to detect this movement you would be using the 31 for a job that would require a fixed blade.
Framelocks in general are susceptible to flex...its the nature of the framelock. Unfortunate but true. All knives can be pushed to the point of failure.
Im curious to know that when the track is worn in from the ceramic ball if this “slight play” goes away. My Zaan is breaking in nicely and I havent checked for play since I got it brand new. Should check again soon.
Just my thoughts. :)

We will see how this pans out...my 31’s are still on the way.

Last edited:
There's some traffic on the interwebz Sm about this topic. I have a PJ 31 Birthday February, 10, 020. The movement described in this thread as Lock-Rock is present in mine. Not casting stones but if this is how the machine is designed, maybe it should be addresses in the marketing effort before releasing them?....No?

Anyway, I love everyone of my CRK, this one included. I would like to see more from the mothership on this than a paragraph about lock rock on the 31 isn't a design flaw. Am I alone?

There's some traffic on the interwebz Sm about this topic. I have a PJ 31 Birthday February, 10, 020. The movement described in this thread as Lock-Rock is present in mine. Not casting stones but if this is how the machine is designed, maybe it should be addresses in the marketing effort before releasing them?....No?

Anyway, I love everyone of my CRK, this one included. I would like to see more from the mothership on this than a paragraph about lock rock on the 31 isn't a design flaw. Am I alone?

I think everyone shares your sentiment.

I have been buying CRKs since 2010. If I’d have gotten one with any movement in the lock, it would have gone back.

Surprised that they’re saying this is normal. We have a pandemic....and now CRK says lock rock is a feature.

Truly the end times! :D

I think everyone shares your sentiment.

I have been buying CRKs since 2010. If I’d have gotten one with any movement in the lock, it would have gone back.

Surprised that they’re saying this is normal. We have a pandemic....and now CRK says lock rock is a feature.

Truly the end times! :D

It is indeed the end of the world as we know it....lol

wohoo now you all ruined my day.
Fell in love with my Umnumzaan and did not get any "lockrock". Reminds me on "a Feature" i got used to from old lockbacks...and recently sent back a SOCOM elite (DID NEVAEVA expect that from what YouTubers Show) for lockrock (just another Story)
now i´ll see what my 3 is like cause it should be in the making and they shall ding me soon.
will Keep you updated. the less it moves, the better it is, just my case. Flex is something for springs...i know i know get a fixedblade you ,may say...

as mentioned, update follows, won´t be the end of the world ;-)

I hesitate to call it "lock rock". That makes it sound worse than I believe it is. The ceramic ball never moves from it's position against the blade tang. It feels more like the lockarm flexing ever so slightly with the ceramic ball as the "teeter point" for lack of a better term.

I could make this happen on all 4 of the umnumzaans I’ve owned and a 25. My 2 21s didn’t do this. On the zaans and the 25 you have to wiggle up and down VERY firmly to feel it, but the lock is definitely not sliding around. I’m not sure what to call it, but it’s not lock rock. I’d say it’s normal for all their knives with the ceramic ball interface, but if the 31 exhibits the behavior with less force applied, I agree with those saying that they need to go back to the drawing board.

Just received my small 31 in the mail today with birth date of 3/12/20. With reasonable pressure, I do not feel any "Lock Rock". Lockup feels as strong as every Sebenza that I have had. Kinda feel like a received a dud.

Just received my small 31 in the mail today with birth date of 3/12/20. With reasonable pressure, I do not feel any "Lock Rock". Lockup feels as strong as every Sebenza that I have had. Kinda feel like a received a dud.

Now the question is, why is there inconsistencies. I know everyone wont be applying the same pressures to try and make it rock, but is there something else going on that makes some rock with less pressure? My 31 will be here tomorrow or next week. I am not worried. I know CRK will fix these types of issues. They fixed up or replaced Impinda V1's with V2's for customers who had issues.

So, here’s the deal on mine. Lg 31 Natural Canvas Micarta Double Lug.

The “rock” can only be achieved on mine by using the palm of my hand to press with excessive force. Harder than any folding knife should ever be stressed in that way. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a “rock” but more of a springy feeling “bounce back” if that makes any sense. I don’t know if that’s considered “lock rock” or not. It’s that feeling when you’re really pressing on something big/hydraulic with a lot of force, that doesn’t want to be pressed on like that. It eventually gives on its spring/pivot point, ever so slightly, like, “back up, you ain’t got enough ass to move all this steel anyway” I don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s the best way I can describe it.

I attempted several times to get it to budge using just my four finger tips and as much pressure as they could exert, but it wasn’t happening.

Overall, I don’t see it as an issue. If I wouldn’t have put the palm of my hand on the back of the blade and pressed like a maniac, I never even would have known it existed. It’ll definitely never be felt when carrying, cutting, or fondling. My concerns were put to rest I believe. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I returned a 31 last week. it had the lock bar flex as well as the "tombstone" area above the jimping was asymmetrical. I think it was only the 2nd knife I've ever had to return. I'm hoping the refund hits my acct before BHQ sells out of their carbon fiber inlay 21s

So, here’s the deal on mine. Lg 31 Natural Canvas Micarta Double Lug.

The “rock” can only be achieved on mine by using the palm of my hand to press with excessive force. Harder than any folding knife should ever be stressed in that way. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a “rock” but more of a springy feeling “bounce back” if that makes any sense. I don’t know if that’s considered “lock rock” or not. It’s that feeling when you’re really pressing on something big/hydraulic with a lot of force, that doesn’t want to be pressed on like that. It eventually gives on its spring/pivot point, ever so slightly, like, “back up, you ain’t got enough ass to move all this steel anyway” I don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s the best way I can describe it.

I attempted several times to get it to budge using just my four finger tips and as much pressure as they could exert, but it wasn’t happening.

Overall, I don’t see it as an issue. If I wouldn’t have put the palm of my hand on the back of the blade and pressed like a maniac, I never even would have known it existed. It’ll definitely never be felt when carrying, cutting, or fondling. My concerns were put to rest I believe. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is definitely not the lockrock we are used to. If it takes that amount of pressure, it's normal for the lovkbar to flex.

100% understand what you are saying when you explained it.

Thanks.

I just received a small 31 today straight from CRK.

Mine has what everyone has been talking about. If I apply pressure to the top of the blade, it just slightly shifts the blade maybe a millimeter or two. Very slight but is noticeable.

I didn’t have to use too much pressure either.

Back