Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Yes, I'll bet that the 21 requires a lot more force to move as stated by numerous posters.
Same light force on all as far as i can tell w my thumb. Lock bar movement is the same on all of them also. I havent checked all my sebs yet, just picked a couple for a vid. It doesn't bother me but a 21 failed on me, not the 31.

Reactions: 353
Same light force on all as far as i can tell w my thumb. Lock bar movement is the same on all of them also. I havent checked all my sebs yet, just picked a couple for a vid. It doesn't bother me but a 21 failed on me, not the 31.

On my 21's I really have to put some weight behind it, also put them on a table, to make them move. And the movement is very small.

I'm getting tired of all the back and forth in this thread..

If the sebenzas was 1/3 the cost I would seriously consider buying a 31 just to check for myself.

But I'm very happy with the knives I have from CRK(21's) and atm there are far more interesting(and safer) knife purchases to be had. Especially considering that I'm situated in Norway and the virus situation we have right now.

On my 21's I really have to put some weight behind it, also put them on a table, to make them move. And the movement is very small.

I'm getting tired of all the back and forth in this thread..

If the sebenzas was 1/3 the cost I would seriously consider buying a 31 just to check for myself.

But I'm very happy with the knives I have from CRK(21's) and atm there are far more interesting(and safer) knife purchases to be had. Especially considering that I'm situated in Norway and the virus situation we have right now.
I agree. Im happy w mine also. Video was just to show any members the movement of mine and not to bullshit anyone. Nice to be able to show and not just say.

Reactions: 353
mag1 mag1 , your video showed what I have suspected. The 21 lock up might feel more solid, but it is actually more easily broken than the lock up on the 31. There was a video on the CRK Fan Page where Tim Reeve stated that the 21 was not extremely difficult to make fail, and the ceramic ball interface was a much stronger lock up. Of course, to make it fail he meant applying significant pressure to the spine, and, as many people have stated, that is not what the knife was designed for. That is why you never hear about a 21 failing from normal use.

I cannot feel any difference between my 31 and my 21's. Maybe I am not applying enough pressure, but I would not want to apply any more pressure than I have. mag1 mag1 ' s video shows how dangerous it can be to try to force movement in these knives. It also shows why I now prefer the 31 over the 21. I appreciate the more secure lock.

I do not believe anyone should write off the 31 based upon this thread. If you do, you will be missing out on a great knife. Just buy from a dealer who has a good return policy. If it does not completely match your expectations, send it right back for a refund. But I believe the vast majority will find it to be a great knife, as I have. If you think about how many thousands of the 31's have been sold, the number of complaints are a tiny percentage. I do not doubt what anyone has said about their own knives, and I do not believe that CRK has handled this well. I am only suggesting that you try a 31 yourself before forming an opinion. Do not rely upon someone else's opinion, especially someone who does not own a 31. As kidcongo kidcongo stated, a lot of incorrect information has been spread throughout this thread. If you think you might like the 31, you owe it to yourself to find out the truth through your own experience

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me but a 21 failed on me, not the 31.
I bought a used large 21 a few years back and the lock would fail at very mild pressure. It was easily defeated by thumb pressure on the back of the blade. Called the mother ship and was told to send it in for evaluation. I paid shipping to them and after about 4 weeks it was returned to me free with paperwork stating the lock was worn and out of spec. It was re-carbidized (not sure I spelled that correctly) and adjusted. I check it straight out of the box and it held fine. I don’t know how or what the previous owner had did to it but the lock was definitely not right and very easily defeated when I received it.

It was re-carbidized (not sure I spelled that correctly) and adjusted. I check it straight out of the box and it held fine. I don’t know how or what the previous owner had did to it but the lock was definitely not right and very easily defeated when I received it.

I have had that done to a knife also, though I never noticed a problem. I believe they consider it their(CRK's) problem, rather than an abuse problem. Thus the warranty coverage.

I have had that done to a knife also, though I never noticed a problem. I believe they consider it their(CRK's) problem, rather than an abuse problem. Thus the warranty coverage.
I think you’re correct. My understanding was if the lock was failing due to abuse I would have to pay for adjustment and return shipping but since it arrived back to me no charge and with shipping paid I assumed they had decided it was a warranty claim and covered everything.

Thanks for sharing this.
Welcome. There were no comparison videos, just hearsay. The 21s have less rock On the blade, but same tension push on the lock bar as the 31s and inkosi. Never would i think that 21 would fail. Then went back to the 31 w gloves and used my entire hand to force the blade shut but it was vault solid. So weird. To the other members, please be careful if you want to perform this. I got lucky and w a big adrenaline rush. Dont wanna have that feeling again, but still loving that 21 lol

Welcome. There were no comparison videos, just hearsay. The 21s have less rock On the blade, but same tension push on the lock bar as the 31s and inkosi. Never would i think that 21 would fail. Then went back to the 31 w gloves and used my entire hand to force the blade shut but it was vault solid. So weird. To the other members, please be careful if you want to perform this. I got lucky and w a big adrenaline rush. Dont wanna have that feeling again, but still loving that 21 lol
So the 21 is the building that stands firm against the wind, but crumbles in an earthquake, and the 31 sways in the breeze, but stays standing after “the big one”.

Which is better? I dunno. Maybe the 31 in the long run if you value your fingers.

Back