Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I have been saving for a sebenza for a while. I drove two hours to pick one one out at my closest dealer. I settled on a small sebenza 31. I was inspecting it last night and has bad lock rock. I had to drive two hours today to return it. It never even occurred to me to check for this while in the store. I am very disappointed.

Last edited:
As long as the lock doesnt fail your good, unless you cant justify the price w rock, i get it. Most crks have the rock. Not just the 31s. Its a weird test to do, never did it to my crks until i saw this thread. If your not happy best to get your money back. My 6 Striders has no movement. Go figure.
I have been saving for a sebenza for a while. I drove two hours to pick one one out at my closest dealer. I settled on a small sebenza 31. I was inspecting it last night and has bad lock rock. I had to drive two hours today to return it. It never even occurred to check for this while in the store. I was certain I was buying a quality piece. I am very disappointed.

I didn’t see this thread or do testing on my knife. I was applying minimal pressure checking the lockup. I searched for the thread seeking information on what was going on with the knife. I just didn’t expect that from a $450.00 knife. I don’t mean to put down the brand. They have to be quality knives with the praise they receive from blade forum members. I plan on trying again some time down the road.

So just to understand this lock rock. It’s only with downward pressure, correct? Does it rock with upward pressure on the blade? Thank you!

As long as the lock doesnt fail your good, unless you cant justify the price w rock, i get it. Most crks have the rock. Not just the 31s. Its a weird test to do, never did it to my crks until i saw this thread. If your not happy best to get your money back. My 6 Striders has no movement. Go figure.

Mag1,

hope all is well. Only the 31’s have the “rock” flex with finger testing (not table test), i cant flex the lockbar with any of my 21’s with just my hands.
So I believe and have experienced that only the 31’s have this flex.

I don't think anyone can talk with absolute authority on this. There has been no testing by anyone across ALL 31s or ALL 21s etc. All we know is a tiny number of 31s have reportedly had issues with lock rock in hand (which is not acceptable). We also know that, to differing degrees, SOME 31s and SOME 21s have slight flex with the table test. For the latter, a couple failed vs just flexing.

Also the term "lock rock" seems to mean different things to different people. It would help if anyone reporting this could also specify the direction, degree, and manner it was experienced (eg hand, table test etc) so we can piece together a better understanding. The tiny tiny flexing upwards on a table test that I have on my 31 is not "bad lock rock" to me but could be to someone else.

As this could be damaging a stellar brand I'd be really interested to see CRK make a public statement on this kerfuffle.

I don't think anyone can talk with absolute authority on this. There has been no testing by anyone across ALL 31s or ALL 21s etc. All we know is a tiny number of 31s have reportedly had issues with lock rock in hand (which is not acceptable). We also know that, to differing degrees, SOME 31s and SOME 21s have slight flex with the table test. For the latter, a couple failed vs just flexing.

Also the term "lock rock" seems to mean different things to different people. It would help if anyone reporting this could also specify the direction, degree, and manner it was experienced (eg hand, table test etc) so we can piece together a better understanding. The tiny tiny flexing upwards on a table test that I have on my 31 is not "bad lock rock" to me but could be to someone else.

As this could be damaging a stellar brand I'd be really interested to see CRK make a public statement on this kerfuffle.
^^^ Exactly. At the end of the day........if your life depended on it......who would you put your trust in?

Option A: Trusting the Chris Reeve Knives company to make a safe and solid knife based on decades of engineering know-how, including over a decade of making Ceramic Ball lock interfaces?

Option B: Trusting some internetz experts who dislike this knife?

Im keeping an open mind until I purchase a 31, but if I had to wager money, I’d go option A. Whatever compromise may be part of the implementation of the ceramic lock on the Sebenza 31 is likely to the benefit of the overall lock strength and longevity of the knife. The lock flex phenomena may just be the price that is paid in losing the perception of “bank vault lock up”.

Time will tell. This thread has not discouraged me from buying one, I just want to wait for the Insingo version. If it sucks as bad as reported, I’ll buy my pal Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery a good strong Canadian beer and put this discussion, and CRK as a company I support, in the past.

^^^ Exactly. At the end of the day........if your life depended on it......who would you put your trust in?

Option A: Trusting the Chris Reeve Knives company to make a safe and solid knife based on decades of engineering know-how, including over a decade of making Ceramic Ball lock interfaces?

Im keeping an open mind until I purchase a 31, but if I had to wager money, I’d go option A. Whatever compromise may be part of the implementation of the ceramic lock on the Sebenza 31 is likely to the benefit of the overall lock strength and longevity of the knife. The lock flex phenomena may just be the price that is paid in losing the perception of “bank vault lock up”.

Time will tell. This thread has not discouraged me from buying one, I just want to wait for the Insingo version. If it sucks as bad as reported, I’ll buy my pal Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery a good strong Canadian beer and put this discussion, and CRK as a company I support, in the past.

Quite honestly, Id pick option C: CRK fixed blade if my life depended on it. ;) Also, there are a lot of makers here on the “interweb” that can make just as good a knife as CRK. Just sayin.

This whole thread was about the lockflex. I find it interesting how some CRK fans are willing to compromise a solid/play free lock for something that may be stronger, but never having the older style lock failing.

I believe the lock on the 31 is strong, I believe that it has the same chances of a lock failure as a 21. A lot of my experience with lock failure on a 21 was from over extending the lockbar while closing and changing the lockup tension. The same will happen with the 31.

What is interesting to me is that the Zaan is solid, the Inkosi is solid, but the 31 has this flex. Who knows?
This thread was started to figure out why...not an argument on whether or not the lock will fail.

I agree with your statement that CRK compromised and is allowing this flex to happen. Not sure why. But time will tell.

I never claimed to be an “expert,” just a curious, calculative minded person. :)

Hope you’re staying well out west, Kidcongo! :)

Ps. I dont drink beer. ;)

I'd pick option X, Sebenza as designed and built by Chris, not Tim&Ann.

You didn’t inspect it before walking out of the store!!?

Edgeworks in MD does it right. You choose a knife. They go to the back to retrieve the boxed knife, and upon check out take it out of the box and hand it to you for inspection. If you notice something off, they’ll get another from the back. Class.

I have been saving for a sebenza for a while. I drove two hours to pick one one out at my closest dealer. I settled on a small sebenza 31. I was inspecting it last night and has bad lock rock. I had to drive two hours today to return it. It never even occurred to me to check for this while in the store. I am very disappointed.

Last edited:
I should have inspected it before I left the store. It guess lock rock seemed like an unnecessary thing to check given the Sebenzas stellar reputation. Especially given the stellar feel and smoothness of the knife. The dealer was very helpful and understanding. I asked to look at another, but that was the last one in the pattern I picked out. They were kind enough to open the case and let me look at the other Sebenza knives. I picked up two more small 31’s that both had lock rock, but not as bad as the one I purchased. I picked up 3 Sebenza 21 knives that locked up like a bank vault. I Probably should have gotten one. I decided to educate myself further before purchasing.

FWIW my Lg 31 is still working fine, no issues, and Rex Love the Diamond Plate.. I tried to get them to do one with both sides Diamond plate , but they declined, that snow looks really nice with our 100* daily temps here!

Back