Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Can someone please post a video? Or is this issue something that can’t be captured on video.

Just received my large 31 micarta. With mine, it doesn't take much for me to make it flex. With that being said, it's not flexing a lot. You can't even see it, you can feel it though. I dont think CRK should have released the 31 with this "feature". I will be using it and hopefully CRK does something about it.

Does the 31 have the same deep cutouts on the lockbar as the 21 has?

RinHwqO.jpg

If they do I can imagine this is the actual spot where the lockbar might be forced to "give in" a little, just slightly twisting, bending or a bit of both. And also there is no help coming from the tiiiiny contactpoint of the ceramic ball/bladesteel interface.

I dont have a Inkosi, 25 or Umnum but it would be interesting to compare the different lockbars to the one on the 31.

Last edited:
Well, that's it! No 31 for me. I love my large Inkosi and Zaan. I was thinking about a 31 Insingo (if they come) but I think it will be an Inkosi Insingo then!
It sounds to me that CRK has a major problem with the 31. From a US $500,- knife I expect perfection. Especially from CRK. I hope so they will solve this!

Last edited:
Ugh, I've been following this thread and it's thrown my plans out the door... more waiting is what I'm leaning towards now.

For the people who have a 31 already, could they have added a ball track to the tang of the blade like they do on Inkosi's and this issue would be solved? A ball track gives more surface area for the ceramic ball to hit, creating less of a pivot point. Rather than the single, tiny point of contact that the 31 currently has. I understand from a machining perspective how it's easier not to add it, but it seems like they should have.

I can easily move the lock bar towards the stop pin. With a ball track, this wouldn't be possible.

This knife was just shy of $1000CDN after brokerage charges. It should be perfect.

#sebenzagate

For the people who have a 31 already, could they have added a ball track to the tang of the blade like they do on Inkosi's and this issue would be solved? A ball track gives more surface area for the ceramic ball to hit, creating less of a pivot point. Rather than the single, tiny point of contact that the 31 currently has. I understand from a machining perspective how it's easier not to add it, but it seems like they should have.

I can easily move the lock bar towards the stop pin. With a ball track, this wouldn't be possible.

This knife was just shy of $1000CDN after brokerage charges. It should be perfect.

#sebenzagate

I could be mistaken but I believe that the Inkosi no longer has the groove. That was a short lived feature that eventually was taken away.

NflE2D2.jpg
since some people here are skeptical about this whole thing I figured I’d chime in. this was their response to me. That was my email that was posted at the start of this thread. Here’s what I’ve come to find about the Sebenza 31:
1.I own three large Sebenza 31’s. Two plain that I got from dealers and one black micarta inlay that I ordered direct from Crk. I think three knives should be considered a fair sample of the product.
2. from what it looks like to me is that when any pressure (doesn’t have to be a lot of pressure)is applied to the spine, the lock bar actually moves slightly. It doesn’t move further into lockup towards the show scale . The best way I can describe it is the lock bar moves towards the stop pin. When this happens the blade moves slightly. It feels as if the ceramic ball remains in contact with the tang of the blade the entire time.
3. There does not appear to be any issue with lock slip. So far I have been unable to get the lock to fail. This has nothing to do with “spinewackers.” This isn’t an issue like in that stupid ass video where the cold steel triad lock guy spine whacks the Sebenza with a thousand pounds of force with his fancy contraption causing the lock to fail and everyone comments that they are never buying a Sebenza. Nobody uses their knife like that (cold steel fanboys relax). It’s not something a lot of people would notice in everyday use. If you are say cutting some thick cardboard and the blade gets stuck or gummed up and you need to wiggle the knife out, you might feel the lock bar moving under your fingers. In a simple slicing/cutting scenario, which is what these folding knives are designed for, you wont notice the issue. Most people don’t use their knives in a scenario where they put pressure on the spine. Not trying to pick on people here, but a lot of people, including a lot of the famed “YouTube reviewers” don’t actually use their “high end” knives and wouldn’t notice an issue like this while it is sitting in a safe or case.
4. Like I said, I have 3 large Sebenza 31’s. Two plain and one black micarta. This issue is much more noticeable on the two plain Jane 31’s I have. It’s noticeable on the micarta 31 I have but it is not as noticeable as it is on my plains. The lockup on the micarta feels slightly sturdier, but it’s still noticeable.
5. So in short, it does feel more like “flex” than “lock rock” but it does not appear to affect functionality at this point.I’m still a fan of CRK, hopefully this issue is addressed in some way. I’m not being critical of CRK because I’m a “hater.” I sent that email to metal complex and he sent it to someone else who posted the screenshot without my knowledge. I just came across it on Instagram where it was also posted without my knowledge. I only reached out to metal complex because he had just posted his Sebenza 31 video and I wanted him to check if his had the issue which he told me neither of his had the issue (which apparently one of them now does)

6. I still love CRK and I’ve had a 31 in my pocket since I first got one in January

Thanks for your explanation of how this new “feature” works.

My ol’ 10 watt upstairs is flickering now. ;)

It’s not nearly as bad as this thread is making it seem.

I am extremely particular, unrealistic even, when it comes to things like this. It’s not driving me crazy. Not even close. It’s actually “tightening up” (not sure if science can back this claim or not) as I use it more.

To even get it to move the slightest, most insignificant (almost not even noticeable at this point) amount, I have to put pressure on the spine I do not feel comfortable putting on it because I have to fist the entire frame which puts my fingers in the path of the blade (knife 101 no-no).

I honestly don’t consider it a flaw, even on a six hundred dollar knife. It’s right and tight, and at no point during use have I even given thought to this “issue” as it were.

Again, just trying to help those on the fence or leaning toward cancelling orders. Everyone has their own opinion, and own thoughts on what a CRK should be. It’s a great knife all around. And the action is amazing on mine.

I don’t necessarily like how CRK put things, especially to people like us who pick apart every single word (and every single knife). But, I just do not feel the Sebenza 31 has a “quality issue” due to this particular design.

That said, the fact that there is a potential variance in each one IS a problem. Whatever is being built should have the same consistency as every other knife coming out of that factory. If indeed the variance is the knives (and not our opinions, which has been known to happen) then it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. A subpar quality knife shouldn’t ever make it out of there, especially for the price. Short of an entirely different knife design, I’d still keep mine though just as it is. If that says anything. :thumbsup:

Are you developing a ball groove?

I'll also be keeping mine.

It looks to have smoothed out the machining lines along the path it travels when it engages, but no actual groove that I can detect. It may be too early yet to tell.

I have to say that since I don’t own a 31 I don’t quite understand what all the fuss was about until someone (Rectus9?) mentioned the lockbar flexing towards the stop pin. Then someone else mentioned the ball groove that was soon discontinued and how that mighty help with the lockbar flex. Well all I can share with you all as I have a 25 and all Inkosi blades with the dp being an early release with the ball groove that all of them have lockbars that flex up and down towards the stop pin with the knife open and with forefinger pressure towards the stop pin, except for the dp with the ball groove.

Last edited:
That said, the fact that there is a potential variance in each one IS a problem. Whatever is being built should have the same consistency as every other knife coming out of that factory. If indeed the variance is the knives (and not our opinions, which has been known to happen) then it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. A subpar quality knife shouldn’t ever make it out of there, especially for the price. Short of an entirely different knife design, I’d still keep mine though just as it is. If that says anything. :thumbsup:

This! Mine has maybe 2 or 3 mm of movement in the blade. You can see the movement at the base and feel it.

Dang that’s quite a bit. I had mentioned less than 1mm of play at the lockbar that you could also see and feel but edited it out as it was just a guess. Would make sense though compared to the 2-3 mm you saw at the blade end with the pivot the fulcrum point

Back