Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

And I’m back...haha.
Picked up my problem 31 back from CRK yesterday...
624587A9-1864-4FBE-A272-01006B9AB229.jpeg
After using and assessing my 31 when I first bought it, it had side/side play, a lot of “lockflex” (abnormal for any knife), and almost 100% lockup.
As most of you know, I do like to assess issues and see how they could be fixed. However, due to “rubbing” some people the wrong way, I took a break from this thread while my 31 was in with the CRK gang.

Well folks, CRK did me right, again.

My 31 has come back rock solid. Literally rock solid. Zero side/side play, 55% lockup and not budging, dead center and no noticable flex.
When I say “no noticable flex,” I mean, for me to flex this would take a lot of pressure. Like a lot and I’m not willing to do that.

This is a knife I can stand behind.

CRK replace the stop pin and the entire lockside of my knife.
According to them, the first runs had bugs. Apparently my geometry on the lockbar was off, the tension was all wrong, and the stop pin was incorrectly lathed.
I don’t want to be that guy, but I’m gonna be right now. Anyone that had issues with what I was saying about my 31 before it was sent in, go back and read my posts about assessments. “Incorrect geometry, incorrect stop pin, and almost 100% lockup.”

For all who told me to send it in...:D
For all who took the journey with me, Thanks! :)

Also, I had the 31 apart already to put my lanyard back in, and it reassembled perfectly. No fuss, no muss, snug up the screws and good to go. This is the CRK I know.

I would like to thank CRK for treating me well yet again, and fixing my 31 perfectly.

I would also like to ask CRK how a knife with a bad pivot stop pin, 99% lockup and wrong lockbar geometry made it past QC.

Glad to have my 31 back. Didn’t think I would miss it, but I did.

Thanks CRK!

Last edited:
I bought a small inkosi that has a little bit of up and down play and flex. If I wiggle blade up and down I can hear a tiny tick as I do it.

Is it worth it to send it to CrK to try and address or should I just live with it? I’d prefer the lockup be better but I also don’t mind if this is normal with the ceramic ball.

thanks

I bought a small inkosi that has a little bit of up and down play and flex. If I wiggle blade up and down I can hear a tiny tick as I do it.

Is it worth it to send it to CrK to try and address or should I just live with it? I’d prefer the lockup be better but I also don’t mind if this is normal with the ceramic ball.

thanks

Send to CRK. Mine doesnt move at all now.

So, first run had bugs. I have two micarta 31's from April, 2020. I wonder when the "bugs" were worked out. I feel like sending both in to have the lock flex addressed.

My advice is this...if you think your new 31 has abnormal lockflex...send it in. Much better to get it fixed than sell it and have someone else unhappy.
Mine was all fixed under warranty. No cost at all.

My advice is this...if you think your new 31 has abnormal lockflex...send it in. Much better to get it fixed than sell it and have someone else unhappy.
Mine was all fixed under warranty. No cost at all.

Did they pay for the shipping both ways?

When I say “no noticable flex,” I mean, for me to flex this would take a lot of pressure. Like a lot and I’m not willing to do that.
What would you compare your pressure limit to for flex? My 31 is from the end of May and doesn't seem as bad as some of the people with the earlier runs described. If I grip the blade close to the tang, like near the thumbstud, and wiggle the handle around the flex seems nonexistent. The further I get towards the point though the more noticeable it is. Doesn't do it a lot, but it's there.

My 31 has a birthday of July 20, 2020 . No cries of issue in doubt at all ! Solid in all respects. Also after one cleaning and lube etraordinary smooth opening & closing. Typical Chris Reeve Sebenza it will handle anything you can throw at it and look damn good doing it !

What would you compare your pressure limit to for flex? My 31 is from the end of May and doesn't seem as bad as some of the people with the earlier runs described. If I grip the blade close to the tang, like near the thumbstud, and wiggle the handle around the flex seems nonexistent. The further I get towards the point though the more noticeable it is. Doesn't do it a lot, but it's there.

With the 31 now fresh back from CRK...zero wiggle. Zero flex with hand pressure. I have strong hands. (So I’ve been told). My 31 I cannot get to flex with my hands. Any harder and Im afraid Ill cut myself. I couldn’t be more thrilled with the way this 31 is now.

With the 31 now fresh back from CRK...zero wiggle. Zero flex with hand pressure. I have strong hands. (So I’ve been told). My 31 I cannot get to flex with my hands. Any harder and Im afraid Ill cut myself. I couldn’t be more thrilled with the way this 31 is now.
I wonder of that's the standard for the new ones coming out now. I wonder why they would've said the flex was normal previously it they can make it lock up like that.

I wonder of that's the standard for the new ones coming out now. I wonder why they would've said the flex was normal previously it they can make it lock up like that.

I hope its the standard. I did notice that the ceramic lockball is moved slightly and also seated a lot deeper (toward the lanyard hole)
than my original lockside scale.

Anyone have any idea if the "early" models were all plain jane versions or inlay versions also?

Mine was a Large Micarta 31 drop point.

Back