Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I don't understand why people return brand new knives to CRK. If I received a new Sebenza with problems, I'd send it back to the dealer for a refund. Who knows what else would go wrong with a knife defective out of the box? Plus the dealer has more clout with Tim&Ann than any one customer. I wouldn't send it back for a replacement, too many other high priced Ti handled knives out there. I'd probably get a W&H, better steel, contoured handle.

Gilbert G, my 2009 is not a Classic. Scales are marked A08 so it's one of the first 21s. It has some of the Classic elements: solid washers and single sided Allen screws, but no Classic engraving and also no "Idaho Made" inscription.
View attachment 1471017

Thats a cool sebbie to own. Very cool.

Thats a cool sebbie to own. Very cool.
It's the nicest CRK I've had the pleasure of owning/using other than an original ATS34 Seb that I foolishly sold. Other side is a unique grahpic! It would a good candidate for a safe queen, but I can't help using (the sh*t out) of them.

I don't understand why people return brand new knives to CRK. If I received a new Sebenza with problems, I'd send it back to the dealer for a refund. Who knows what else would go wrong with a knife defective out of the box? Plus the dealer has more clout with Tim&Ann than any one customer. I wouldn't send it back for a replacement, too many other high priced Ti handled knives out there. I'd probably get a W&H, better steel, contoured handle.

Maybe they bought a certain CRK for the wood grain pattern, micarta color, etc, so they want to keep that exact knife and get the issues resolved.

Maybe they bought a certain CRK for the wood grain pattern, micarta color, etc, so they want to keep that exact knife and get the issues resolved.

I guess "hope springs eternal." For me there's always another knife around the corner :)

Good point and perhaps sending back to the dealer with a note why a new knife in this condition at this price is unacceptable would be the better way to go. Then again I can understand when one receives a particular knife perfect for him or her like the inlays, micarta, wood grain, etc. and want to keep the knife otherwise. The other thing is many people who picked up new 31's are also those with older 21's and have good experience with CS and are used to spending that much on a CRK and receiving it in tip top shame so as they say hard to break old habits.

Gilbert G, my 2009 is not a Classic. Scales are marked A08 so it's one of the first 21s. It has some of the Classic elements: solid washers and single sided Allen screws, but no Classic engraving and also no "Idaho Made" inscription.
View attachment 1471017

That is a freakin' beaut. Reminds me of the OP Umnumzaan - perfection. This is slightly off topic but not really too in that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Is that not much different than "Think twice, cut once." ? Obviously CRK thought many times in putting together the original 21's to the point where can it really be perfected with the 31's upgrades? What you have there is a perfect specimen of 21 perfection IMO and why on earth would one stray from that? No need for IDAHO MADE, no need for double sided allen screws. I know because I have owned and loved the single sided and they work just fine, better actually as not only do other companies like Hinderer use them for years but they make disassembly and re-assembly quicker and look even nicer. We get you are proud of Idaho but put a tribute card in with the box for heaven's sake! Can you imagine if every knife company marked something of the same on their knives? You'd have ARIZONA MADE, CALIFORNIA MADE, FLORIDA MADE, TENNISEE (spellcheckhelp) MADE, OREGON MADE, etc. There is just no need to clutter things up especially when you have an incredible design like the original 21. If only CRK could see your knife and be so inspired to let it be the model (right and left handed :D)

^^IIRC they received some sort of incentive to include the Idaho Made mark on their products + Chris is proud of his adoptive home.

You see similar everywhere down here in Texas so I can understand the sentiment.

So I think I may have figured out what is different on the newer 31s. I haven’t seen this mentioned before so I figured I’d share. I was looking at my 31 and noticed the position of the lock bar cut outs. It got me thinking so I looked at my 21 and noticed they were in a slightly different position. I searched around on the net to find a picture of an early 31 and sure enough it was just like the 21, the cut outs invade the locating hole but on my newer 31 they do not.
Here’s a picture of what I found and the one of mine.
7B52EC79-410C-4F2D-A723-F0F5D3FDFF44.jpeg 2E0B40F4-BD9B-466D-81A6-48EF94272C40.jpeg

Very interesting stuff with the cutouts! Strange one would think the B-20 31 version would be the norm. Wonder if their positioning affects lock flex or not.

Interesting. I have one A-20 large 31 and the lock bar cut out is like the 21 in Silverstonev8's pic. The rest are B-20 or newer with the cut out further away from the hole. Does this mean there are gen 1 and gen 2 Sebenza 31s?

I wonder if the newer placement of the cutouts stiffens the lock bar just enough to reduce the flex.

I have a small 31 with the cutouts placed like the B20 pic above. Pressing on the spine with my thumb while holding the knife in a normal grip I can make the blade flex off the stop pin just a bit.

Large 31 December 2020 birthday and bank vault lockup. No one should be smashing the back of a knife not it’s intended use. Some of you guys need a life.

Back