Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Changing the name of the firm from Chris Reeve Knives to Chris Reeve junior Knives would go a long way to dissolve the cognitive dissonance a lot of us have.
What would you suggest they call McDonalds?

I feel like the obsession with Chris is a bit weird but I also see all the current anti-CRK comments as a slap in the face to the people who actually made all those precious knives of the past, I’m sure plenty of whom are still there, making the new ones.

I feel like the obsession with Chris is a bit weird but I also see all the current anti-CRK comments as a slap in the face to the people who actually made all those precious knives of the past, I’m sure plenty of whom are still there, making the new ones.
True. There is also this assumption that Chris lost control of his company due to a judge awarding the company to Anne after their divorce.

That’s all speculation. Lots of entrepreneurs eventually burn out and sell out to start a new chapter in their lives. I have no interest in knowing why. I assume his life, like anyone’s, goes through phases.

Personally, I’m not one of those who wants Chris Reeve to “die at his workbench” like Leo Fender.

I hope he’s enjoying his new chapter, exploring other interests and passions, and carrying a Cold Steel in his pocket. He’s given us all enough.

Last edited:
I want to point out some people (in this thread and others) are saying he's retired or burnt out. Or, that he may be off starting new chapters far away from his old company. Some of these people are also saying he is still in on designing and consulting or involved somehow. I agree it's one of those two options. I don't care what Chris is doing, but it's not both. As page 69 nears... I just am left wondering. Even if someone from CRK said "the knife is golden, now piss off" at least the company posted something on their manufactures page. Why is all this here then? So we can all show off our pictures and temp each other into buying more CRK knives?

It looks like most of the issues are improved as of recently. Some changes like the lock bar cutout have likely lessened the flex issue. Unless we are all inspecting and comparing with micrometers and sharing notes, many small but significant changes could go unnoticed. I really like the idea that the ceramic ball was inset too close to the pivot side and should be farther out for a better triangle lockup. That could have ever so slightly changed. It seems this long thread is losing steam and not many new posters are sharing issues. This all seems like a poorly done or rushed rollout going on during the pandemic making everything all the worse. Tim admitted they knew about the flex before release. I assume he didn't expect this level of blowback. That alone makes me think Chris is not around offering advise on design.

Tim admitted they knew about the flex before release. I assume he didn't expect this level of blowback.

I wonder why he thought his customer base would be fine with flex and why they won't fix it under warranty? The whole company is based on precision machining and top notch customer service.

It is called "Retirement"

When he “retired” they said he would continue to be involved with the company...instead he disappeared. That’s really strange for the founder of family business, especially when the family business depended upon the technical and design expertice of the founder. It is not at all strange if he left for negative reasons.

When he “retired” they said he would continue to be involved with the company...instead he disappeared. That’s really strange for the founder of family business, especially when the family business depended upon the technical and design expertice of the founder. It is not at all strange if he left for negative reasons.

All I am trying to say is that unless you are involved with the company or around the fine folks at CRK on a regular basis, you have no clue how often Chris is around or not around. Maybe he stops by every day. Maybe he doesn't. Why even bother with these assumptions?

My 31 Sebenza is perfect , lucky without a hesitation of a doubt. I discovered this thread after I bought it , I never would have bought it . I bought my 31 Sebenza and then saw this thread. Mine has the "improved" lock bar.

Mine has the "improved" lock bar.
What exactly is different between the original 31 lock bar and this “improved” lock bar you speak of? I’d love to see pics of the two and the differences if possible.

Last edited:
Back in the day, if there was long thread about an issue with the product or the materials Chris would step in with a comment or two and put an end to it. I wish CRK had someone to take on that responsibility on these days.

It's a concious corporate decision to blow off this forum.

Should they actively participate on every site or medium where their knives are being discussed?
They used to have a pretty strong presence here (and, as mentioned, Chris himself would at times take part in the discussion.)

Last edited:
If it were me and my name, I would go to great lengths to clear things up. But that is just me. :)

What a disheartening thread....
I just wanted to chime in. Saved up for a long while to buy a Sebenza. Thankfully I have a dealer nearby, but totally forgot about this thread when I was there in person. Didn’t give it a totally thorough inspection, just the usual blade play, straight, feel, etc. saw this thread and my stomach dropped. Reluctantly went and put it through the “ringer”. My example is perfect!! I’d have been devastated if it weren’t. Mine is stamped C-20. August ‘20. Sure hope they figured this out!!!!

Back