Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Well, I had always wanted a Sebenza because CRK was famous for its contols and tolerances. I was tooling looking for info about differences between the 21 and 31 to see which I should try to buy when I found this thread.

The line from CRK about this being a feature are, quite obviously, BS. There are dozens of posts from people talking about the fact that their Sebenza don't have any lock rock at all (and these were posted before the "changes" were supposedly made.) So if it is a feature, it would be in every single knife. So it's not a feature. It is a problem with tolerances.

And CRKs response that it was a feature was not honest. It's one thing for a company to make an honest mistake (though it's kind of hard to understand how knives could have been going out with such variances unless the company just adopted a "Good enough" approach. But when that happens, the honorable response is to say, "We have a QC issue and we'll fix it." Not to say, "Oh that's a feature."

I will not be buying any CRK products. Very sad what has happened to this once admirable company.

Tim said early on that there were issues with the 31 and it would be tweaked. There's info in this thread about it... Probably within the first 20 pages or so. As this thread gets longer it's easy to miss. I just wanted to bring it up because the last few times I've been in this thread the posts I've seen in passing have been related to CRK response.

No disrespect to you, but CRK said it was a feature at first.

Tim said early on that there were issues with the 31 and it would be tweaked. There's info in this thread about it... Probably within the first 20 pages or so. As this thread gets longer it's easy to miss. I just wanted to bring it up because the last few times I've been in this thread the posts I've seen in passing have been related to CRK response.

No disrespect to you, but CRK said it was a feature at first.

I get it, and agree with you. I don't know the exact time line. Off the top of my head it seemed there was issues, pretty much everybody said there wasn't any issues (except the people that were reporting problems), Tim agreed there was some tweaking needed in the future, that IG post was deleted, more people complained, CRK said it was a feature. Like I said, overall I agree with you and my post wasn't specifically directed at you. I guess what I'm getting at is that there is a bunch of posts about CRK not acknowledging the problem. Tim said early on there was.

I’m still curious about my old inkosi’s. I ran them through the ringer and never had an issue. However...I never thought to apply pressure to see if there was lock flex..... I just hammered on them mercilessly and they just kept asking for more. And they have the ceramic ball lock. So I keep wondering......was this flex there all along with the ceramic ball lock up Crks....... either way...neither of my experiences had any issues or hint of failure. Still wish I had my large inkosi

So is lock rock still an issue on the 31s or has it been fixed on the current models ?

I get it, and agree with you. I don't know the exact time line. Off the top of my head it seemed there was issues, pretty much everybody said there wasn't any issues (except the people that were reporting problems), Tim agreed there was some tweaking needed in the future, that IG post was deleted, more people complained, CRK said it was a feature. Like I said, overall I agree with you and my post wasn't specifically directed at you. I guess what I'm getting at is that there is a bunch of posts about CRK not acknowledging the problem. Tim said early on there was.

I think the part in bold is what people are really having issues with besides the lock rock and lack of warranty support. Admitting the issue in print then deleting the post and saying it's a feature is not the way to retain fans, customers or your personal integrity. Returning pocket knives from warranty with lock rock and no work done saying it's a "feature" of the new design is a great way to ruin your company and reputation. Especially when your company is known for $500+ folders, tight tolerances and aerospace manufacturing techniques.
Pretty much all model 31's, new and used, are now suspect and the company has made it known that they may or may not fix the issue under warranty if your model is affected. So now their warranty, which was always rock solid like their blades, is also suspect. CRK has created a lot of "unknowns" with this model and their response to the issues.
Who wants to take that risk on a $500+ blade when they might not honor the warranty on an issue they admitted to then deleted and called a "feature"?

I think the part in bold is what people are really having issues with besides the lock rock and lack of warranty support. Admitting the issue in print then deleting the post and saying it's a feature is not the way to retain fans, customers or your personal integrity. Returning pocket knives from warranty with lock rock and no work done saying it's a "feature" of the new design is a great way to ruin your company and reputation. Especially when your company is known for $500+ folders, tight tolerances and aerospace manufacturing techniques.
Pretty much all model 31's, new and used, are now suspect and the company has made it known that they may or may not fix the issue under warranty if your model is affected. So now their warranty, which was always rock solid like their blades, is also suspect. CRK has created a lot of "unknowns" with this model and their response to the issues.
Who wants to take that risk on a $500+ blade when they might not honor the warranty on an issue they admitted to then deleted and called a "feature"?

I agree. Throughout the thread there posts saying CRK needs to respond. I feel like they responded long ago. The initial response was within a couple months or so of the 31's release - the deleted IG post. They also responded by what people are posting as a "feature". They responded poorly ,but nonetheless it's a response.

At some point you have to move on right, or at least not repeatedly posting CRK should respond? I know I did from many months ago after Tims IG post. I was looking forward to the 31's. After Tim's post I decided hard pass, and don't anticipate getting one anytime soon if ever.

Reactions: V-1

This is precisely where I’m at, atm.
A few knives having issues at release is not a huge deal for me. The response to those issues IS a big deal to me. Especially given the legacy of the brand.

Even under the assumption that the relative number of units affected is small, the end result has completely nullified any interest I have in the secondary market for a 31. I may be in the minority, as they seem to go pretty fast on the Exchange.

If/when there is a 31 variation that I can’t live without, I’ll utilize a dealer with a good return policy. It’s very unfortunate I feel a need to play this game with CRK.

Damn it! :mad: I sure as hell wish I'd seen this thread before plunking down $$$ on a new Large Sebenza 31 Moon Landing... It's my first Sebenza, I had an Umnumzaan, but I just never loved it, so I moved it on. It never even occurred to me that knife company with the reputation and following that CRK has would toss out a load of BS like this (It's a "FEATURE"), then double down and say we may or may not decide to fix it under warranty with $500+ blades!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The 31 is going to be here mid week, so I guess I'll find out if it has the problem, and then whether it stays or goes back to the dealer.

If this goes back, that's my last foray into CRK.

evltcat evltcat , I was new to CRK this past year. After all the researching I bought a LG 31 and several LG 21’s. What I find funny is that through all the reading I did in this forum, any negative review or post about an issue with the 21 was accompanied by responses to clean it, lube it, throw it in the pocket and just use it, give it time to break in, or send it back to get looked at.

This issue with the 31 comes up and it’s pitchforks and torches, the sky is falling, we all got screwed, Chris was the savior! If I was the person who sent my 31 in and got it looked at and it was still wrong, I’d just send it back. I doubt the guy is that hard up that it’s his only $500 knife and he can’t put something else in his pocket for another few weeks. I bet they’ll just send him a new damn knife. Make them fix it, those were the responses from the last 10 years of posts in this forum, why isn’t this still true? Especially when a few have posted that theirs came back perfect?

My 31 was fine new in box, and got a shit ton better after breaking it in, especially with the lockup once the groove in the tang caused by the detent ball got a good clean track going.

The damascus 21 in my pocket right now had a little side to side play and the blade is off center. The side to side went away after opening and closing this thing a million times, carrying it and using it, and taking it apart a few times to clean out the pocket gunk and tighten it up (breaking it in basically), but the off center blade is still there.

I’d say if you’re gonna use it, then just do that and let it break in. If it’s just gonna sit in the box for a collector item, who gives a shit about the lockup movement when you’re forcing the blade down on the table in a manner I’ve never seen used to cut anything. There’s a lot of flack in this thread by a couple posters who haven’t even handled a 31. I bet if you filtered all their mess out, the thread would look different, probably very similar to the other CRK threads when a new model comes out or changes are made...

Please explain, :)
those in my possession LG and SM are working correctly, both born in 2020. by correctly we mean that they do not have any kind of play or bending of the bar, blade play or defects of any kind. I consider them equal to the 21 in my possession.
as I see it provably there was a problem with the first born but then it was corrected

those in my possession LG and SM are working correctly, both born in 2020. by correctly we mean that they do not have any kind of play or bending of the bar, blade play or defects of any kind. I consider them equal to the 21 in my possession.
as I see it provably there was a problem with the first born but then it was corrected

Thank you my friend, :)

Jsega51 Jsega51 My Sebenza 31 Moon Landing arrived late yesterday (DOB 11/2020) and I opened and inspected it today.

It does have the lock bar flex discussed in this thread. I would NOT call this "Lock Rock". YMMV, but I've seen "Lock Rock" first hand on an SMF that a friend owned, and this is nothing like that at all.

When I placed the knife on a flat surface and pressed down on the blade near the tip, the blade moves down in the locked position a millimeter or two max. You can feel the ball move, and when you release pressure it "springs" back. It does take a bit of force to move the blade, but not an excessive amount. I then gave the 31 a good hard (as I was comfortable doing) press and the exact same thing happened as before. I do not feel like downward pressure on the spine would be able to force the lock to disengage, unless enough force was applied to the spine to possibly bend the lock bar itself and cause a catastrophic failure.

Since no other blade I own uses the ceramic ball bearing locking system, I can't fairly compare it to another brand. If I needed to do something that required me to stab or put an excessive amount of pressure on the spine of a blade, I'd grab a Busse/Swamprat/Winkler/BRT fixed blade.

You are right, I can easily drop another high end folder in my pocket and send my 31 back to CRK if I ever feel the locking mechanism is not safe and stable as it is now. Everything else appears spot on, and what I'd expect to see in a $600 CRK blade, so I am going to keep the Sebenza 31, put her in her pocket slip, and use her. :eek:;)

evltcat evltcat good to hear! Use it well. I actually sold my 31 but not due to any issues, after getting a wood inlay 21, I just couldn’t look at the micarta anymore. Sold a micarta inlay 21 due to this also. The good thing is, there will be plenty of nice wood inlays coming down the pike on 31’s so I’ll for sure be picking another up at some point :D

Just an update on my large micarta 31 that had blade play and serious lock flex.
As posted before, CRK fixed it up good. :)

However, one nitpick I have is that my pivot screw will back out. I’ve tried everything. New pivot pin, purple loctite, blue loctite, plumber’s tape, nothing works.
Depending on what I use as a “thread tightener,” within a week, it is backing itself out. :(
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Unfortunately, I now only carry my 31 for random day to day tasks and not for work, as was initially intended when purchased.
Makes me sad. It is a beautiful knife.

Just an update on my large micarta 31 that had blade play and serious lock flex.
As posted before, CRK fixed it up good. :)

However, one nitpick I have is that my pivot screw will back out. I’ve tried everything. New pivot pin, purple loctite, blue loctite, plumber’s tape, nothing works.
Depending on what I use as a “thread tightener,” within a week, it is backing itself out. :(
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Unfortunately, I now only carry my 31 for random day to day tasks and not for work, as was initially intended when purchased.
Makes me sad. It is a beautiful knife.
Just curious if you're letting that Loctite set for 24 hours before you start opening and closing the knife. If not, give that a try.

Back