Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I’ve taken a video where you can see the movement but am not great at posting those up or using a hosting site.

Dang that’s quite a bit. I had mentioned less than 1mm of play at the lockbar that you could also see and feel but edited it out as it was just a guess. Would make sense though compared to the 2-3 mm you saw at the blade end with the pivot the fulcrum point

maybe I over estimated on that after re looking at it. I would say around 1 mm as well. Maybe a Little more.

1 mm is what your seeing....? That’s around 1/32. With CRK legendary tolerances, 1 mm might as well be 10 mm. That’s definitely enough to slip causing lock failure.

I work with precision machinery and we have had machine crashes with some things off the thickness of a sheet of paper costing anywhere from 12-50 million in lost product. So 1 mm Does Matter.

I am sure CRK will work on this, they literally Have too as their companies reputation relies on it. The most disturbing part of all this is the letter that says this is “normal”.

I think everyone’s talking about the lockbar moving up then back down. Not side to side in which case it would possibly slip and fail.

I think everyone’s talking about the lockbar moving up then back down. Not side to side in which case it would possibly slip and fail.
The lockbar is moving towards the stop pin and back to its resting place. I don't know if that's up, left, down, or east. Depends on how you are looking at it.

The lockbar is moving towards the stop pin and back to its resting place. I don't know if that's up, left, down, or east. Depends on how you are looking at it.

I would say up/down = lockrock direction
Side/side = lockslip direction
:D

Can you see a flex-track on the tang caused by the ceramic ball? I understand that the ceramic ball ist moving towards the stop pin with the lockarm? Or is only the lockarm flexing like a bow and does not affect the posiotion of the ceramic interface on the tang?

I wasn’t putting much pressure on the blade either. Just finders and pushing with regular force.

Thats actually quite a bit of movement...anyone tried this with a Zaan?

Thats a great video. My early inkosi with the ball track in the tang of the blade has zero movement.

I am going to do my part and email CRK. If enough people contact them, I hope they get the picture that movement in the lock is not OK.

This is disappointing, to say the least. My Sebenza 21s are the closest thing I can think of to a fixed blade, that dead solid lockup has always been one of the selling points of the original integral frame lock.

Thanks for posting the video. Speechless....!!! Wow, that is completely and utterly UNACCEPTABLE. I expect this from a gas station $2 knife, NOT A $$500 plus CRK that has built their existence on precision.

That's just a shock absorber feature for when you whack the spine.
highresrollsafe.jpg

That does not look good. For my four Inkosis and Sebenzas, two of them being carbon fiber variants, I can put as much pressure on the blade spine as I'm able to with my bare hands, without having fingers in the path of the blade, and I'm not able to detect any kind of movement or flex. No lock groove on the Inkosis.

That solid fixed-blade-like feel, including the side-to-side stability, is one of the CRK-defining properties for me... Especially the carbon fiber models not feeling less solid even a bit.

That does not look good. For my four Inkosis and Sebenzas, two of them being carbon fiber variants, I can put as much pressure on the blade spine as I'm able to with my bare hands, without having fingers in the path of the blade, and I'm not able to detect any kind of movement or flex. No lock groove on the Inkosis.

That solid fixed-blade-like feel, including the side-to-side stability, is one of the CRK-defining properties for me... Especially the carbon fiber models not feeling less solid even a bit.

same for me on every other CRK that I’ve owned!

but on the 31 they are saying it’s “normal”

Back