Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

CRK has owned up to the fact that the first 31’s were wrong. So the lockflex on the earlier ones was terrible. First hand experience here.
So not quite like the Glock 5 situation. :)

They have? This is a LOOONG thread, so I may have missed that part. The screen shots I saw from CRK were stating that nothing is wrong with the knives...

They have? This is a LOOONG thread, so I may have missed that part. The screen shots I saw from CRK were stating that nothing is wrong with the knives...

Apparently it was on FB? that they moved the ceramic lockball so the new ones didnt have the flex. That is heresay from near the end of this thread. However, when I sent my early one in, they changed the entire lockside. :)

IIRC...

First it was, “There is nothing wrong, it’s a feature.”
To “We have new employee’s who are making mistakes.”
Then “We moved the ceramic lockball to rid the 31 of the lockflex.”

Honestly, I think it was released too early, and PR was not handled the best. I still love my Sebs though.

Apparently it was on FB? that they moved the ceramic lockball so the new ones didnt have the flex. That is heresay from near the end of this thread. However, when I sent my early one in, they changed the entire lockside. :)

IIRC...

Honestly, I think it was released too early, and PR was not handled the best. I still love my Sebs though.

I'm glad they took care of you by replacing the lock side - Did this fix the flex issue, or is there still some there?

So here is what i see...I will be talking about this gap here that Ive circled in the photo.
View attachment 1319361

Framelocks are strong because they have three points of contact, the stop pin, the pivot, and the lockface. The reason that framelocks work is because the whole face does not contact the blade...just a single point. So when pushing the blade spine on the 21, it takes up the microscopic “gap” in the lockbar to full lockbar flat on blade flat contact.

On the 31, instead of shortening the lockbar length, to add the ceramic ball, they shortened the blade. This ceramic ball now protrudes out from the end of the lockbar 1mm to 2mm changing the shape of our “lockup triangle.” It also creates one point of contact but leaves a larger “gap” between the nonexistent flat area of the lockbar. See this photo...
View attachment 1319360

So now, when you put pressure on the spine of the 31, there is no “flat” area to contact the blade, and you get serious flex which allows the blade to come off the stop pin, even more so than the 21. This troubles me.

Just to be clear...this is the direction of lockbar flex shown here...it flexes left, and springs back to right.
View attachment 1319363

Now i do also have an inkosi here...the lockbar is thicker, and it does not have noticable flex.

However, the placement of the ceramic ball is different. As shown here...
View attachment 1319362

On my particular 31 the ceramic ball should be closer to the blade edge(when knife is open) of the lockbar. So moved to the right of the arrow in the above picture like the inkosi.

This would negate a lot of the flex. As it would be opening up our triangle.

For me, the jury is still out regarding lock failure. Im hoping not to find out during use, and im not willing to push my new “expensive” 31 to failure in a test. Haha.

I just always relate “bank vault” lockup to the CRK sebenza...and this is anything but that. I think that disappoints me more than anything.
Since Chris was pushed out, they have managed to mess up the first 100 or so Impinda’s, and now have a non “bank vault” Sebenza 31.

Honestly, if it was any other company, and I wasnt so curious to how the 31 will hold up, I woulda returned it and posted a very unhappy post.

It is different than “lockrock” that is for sure. Because lockrock is when the lockbar wont fully engage leaving gap between the “point” and the blade tang, or when the “point” contacts the tang but slips outward easily, creating audible clicks when wiggling the blade up and down. The sound is from the blade hitting the lockbar and then hitting the stop pin.
Lockflex is when the “point” of the lockbar (the ceramic ball in this case) never leaves the blade tang (always has contact), but flexes with lockbar. The lockflex rock on the 31 is so severe that the blade comes away from the stop pin. That is what worries me.

If I have any of my lock geometry fundamentals wrong, and someone with experience building framelocks can correct me. I am open to that. :)

This is a quote from early on in the thread describing lock geometry and what CRK most likely did to fix the flex by moving the ceramic ball. If you are interested.

Also, my knife now locks up solid, and doesnt move with significant finger pressure.
I don’t do the table test because I don’t believe it is a relevant test.

Also, some of the early ones also came perfect.

CRK shared that they moved the ceramic ball x amount to fix it. I'm guessing it was tad too close to the pivot.

I might have to snag a 31 now.

And the post on pg 71 quoted about the re-placement of the ceramic ball.

Hope these help.

IIRC...

I feel the same way, can't wait to get my hands on a set of CRK folders, but have to wait until they get all the kinks out and the steel switchover.

None of mine have lock rock....

But I'm also not dumb and using any of my knives in reverse either.

This lock rock thing is start to sound like an old wives tail....

The main two changes that I have seen are the move of the lock bar cut outs and the ramp angle on the blade that the ball contacts. From what I have seen the placement of the ball is still in the same place. Had the ball been moved it wouldn’t ride in the proper place on the blade and it also wouldn’t drop properly into the detent hole on the blade.
This is just my personal experience and opinion.

I have a hard time believing that CRK changed anything with how they manufacture the 31s, I may contact them myself to ask. My speculation is that there have been no changes to how the knives are produced and that the variance is the user and perceptions.

^^^ And I say this because Tim Reeve straight up said that there was nothing wrong and that they weren't going to change anything.

I stand corrected, it looks like there are Gen 1 & 2 Sebenza 31s! Good find, thank you for sharing.

So my Gen 5 Glock analogy was off...this is more analogous to the first gen Sig P320s firing when dropped! CRK should issue a voluntary recall to fix the issue with the first gen 31s, just like Sig ended up doing for the P320.

Last edited:
Long time traditional knife collector ... I recently purchased my first Sebenza (new)
Left-handed Small Sebenza 31 with Natural Canvas Micarta ... birthday 14Sept2020

I have not read this entire thread or even much of it ... yet.

I have no lock rock ... or micro/nano lock rock if any. Certainly no deal breakers.

My thoughts: Well, mine is left-handed. I wonder since they make MUCH fewer left-handed Sebenzas, if maybe the jigs/tooling and such for LH has higher tolerances than the same jigs/tooling for RH, where the jigs/tooling are used MUCH more.

Or maybe since LH is possibly a build "oddity" ... maybe they pay a little more attention to detail (even if subconsciously) because it's not what they build most of the time.

The other possibility is ... I simply got lucky. Dunno

I am left-handed as well. I have two lefty Sebenza 31s (one born in Oct 2020, Damascus drop-point, and one born in Sept 2020, stonewashed drop-point). I also have three lefty Mnandis, and a lefty small Inkosi. The two Sebenzas do have lock flex in a way the small Inkosi does not. The Damascus one has no click and is within tolerances in my opinion. The stonewashed one moves about the same (maybe a tiny tad more) but also has a click. I am going to send the stonewashed one into CRK to see what they say. Mnandis don't move at all.

So, I don't think LH/RH has anything to do with it. I think it is simply a by product of the design.

Last edited:
I talked with Chris Reeve Knives today. I explained to the really nice woman on the phone that one of my small 31s was really solid, and that my Inkosi was like a rock, but that one of them was much looser and made a click when moved. Since we agreed (jokingly) that, since I was really persnickety, that I should send it in.

I will keep this thread posted with results.

Note, that she did confirm that there was as change in 2019 in how they manufactured the Sebenza 31. She asked me the date on my scales (B20, meaning the second quarter of 2020). She said that was after the change.

Last edited:
I too contact CRK and received the following reply, which is consistent with what others on this thread have communicated:

"The 31's are being produced the same way, but the design has been tweaked from the initial run. We changed the location of the ceramic ball so people would "feel" less lock flex. Early production of the 31 had some characteristics that were carried over from the 21 that just did not work correctly with the new style and have been addressed since then.

You will still be able to feel more lock flex when testing the 31 compared to the Inkosi or Umnumzaan, but the lock has been tested by Tim Reeve and the lock did not fail even when the amount of force applied broke the blade."

Last edited:

I'm a CRK fanboy too. I've owned lots of inkosi and 21's. None with lock rock. Real or perceived. Bought my first small 31 from.a dealer 22 days ago. Received it 18 days ago. 5 minutes after takig it out of the box the thumbstud fell out. I'm also an internet tough guy and only use my knives as they are intended and you didnt need to be dumb to feel the amount of movement in the blade on the knife I sent back 15 minutes after takin it out of the box. Bottom line is the issue is really an issue. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it's not an issue. If you get a dud I guarantee you'll change your tune regardless of how practical you tell us you are with your knives. I'm still a fan boy but I'm not gonna sit around and make excuses for them either. And I'm certainly not happy that it's been 18 days and counting that I haven't been able to enjoy my new $400 knife, that also is not a wives tale. It's a fact. My point is, it's ok to be a fan boy. I am one myself but you don't have to be dumb about it.

I'm a CRK fanboy too. I've owned lots of inkosi and 21's. None with lock rock. Real or perceived. Bought my first small 31 from.a dealer 22 days ago. Received it 18 days ago. 5 minutes after takig it out of the box the thumbstud fell out. I'm also an internet tough guy and only use my knives as they are intended and you didnt need to be dumb to feel the amount of movement in the blade on the knife I sent back 15 minutes after takin it out of the box. Bottom line is the issue is really an issue. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it's not an issue. If you get a dud I guarantee you'll change your tune regardless of how practical you tell us you are with your knives. I'm still a fan boy but I'm not gonna sit around and make excuses for them either. And I'm certainly not happy that it's been 18 days and counting that I haven't been able to enjoy my new $400 knife, that also is not a wives tale. It's a fact. My point is, it's ok to be a fan boy. I am one myself but you don't have to be dumb about it.

Well said, Jason.

I too was initially skeptical, maybe in a bit of denial. Had to send one back myself and have a new 31 on the way....stumbled across the s45vn version. Hopefully this one is better...we shall see on Monday. Still thinking of picking up a new 21 while I they are available. I really wish that I would have found this was a fake issue, but it is def real. I hate the feeling that I may have paid $500 for a dud. I'm glad I found this thread.

Last edited:
Back