Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Dang. I was just about to order a small 31 from Recon1 but I think I will hold off and keep my small Inkosi for the time being. I hope they get this sorted out.

Here is a video uploaded to YouTube. I’ll try to get the lockbar side later tonight.

Ya that’s too much movement, even for a $50 knife

My Sebenza 21s are the closest thing I can think of to a fixed blade,

While I too love the rock solid lock up on my Umnumzaan and Sebenza 21, in reality they don’t even come close to the strength of a fixed blade. No folding knife does. Closest thing is the triad lock. And even knives with that lock will vary in strength depending on design and materials.

I’m probably gonna ruin some people’s day with this: I tried mimicking what the guy did in the video with these 3 knives.
TzPHjBm.jpg

All of them flexed like on the video. The Sebenza 21 and the Rat 1 moved slightly less than the Zaan though. Pushing on the blade in the direction of the yellow arrow forces the lock bar to flex in the direction of the black arrow. It appears normal liner and frame locks will do this as well.
jLiNsAf.jpg

I have been saying this all along. With enough force you can flex a lockbar.... But it's way easier to do on a 31.

Last edited:
I’m probably gonna ruin some people’s day with this: I tried mimicking what the guy did in the video with these 3 knives.
TzPHjBm.jpg

All of them flexed like on the video. The Sebenza 21 and the Rat 1 moved slightly less than the Zaan though. Pushing on the blade in the direction of the yellow arrow forces the lock bar to flex in the direction of the black arrow. It appears normal liner and frame locks will do this as well.
jLiNsAf.jpg

I just tried that on about a 1/2 dozen large 21 sebenzas I have laying around and none of them moved in the slightest. I no longer own any Zaans so will reserve my opinion on their locks.

I just tried that on about a 1/2 dozen large 21 sebenzas I have laying around and none of them moved in the slightest. I no longer own any Zaans so will reserve my opinion on their locks.

You may not be pressing hard enough. You need to pin the handle down on a table or counter top with one hand and push on the blade with the other. The movement is definitely there. I just re-checked. Although this issue means absolutely nothing in real world use.

You may not be pressing hard enough. You need to pin the handle down on a table or counter top with one hand and push on the blade with the other. The movement is definitely there. I just re-checked. Although this issue means absolutely nothing in real world use.

That’s exactly what I did. I definitely put enough pressure. Zero Movement. I must be extremely lucky.

I have been saying this all along. With enough force you can flex a lockbar.... But it's way easier to do on a 31.

I agree 100 percent. Don’t have a 31 to compare but I believe you. Unfortunately frame/liner locks are inferior to many other modern locks. I love my CRK’s, but the locking mechanism is not one of the reasons I buy them.

I’ve seen it a little in my Inkosi’s but nothing like this for sure.

are you saying that this vertical movement is ok?

I’ve seen it a little in my Inkosi’s but nothing like this for sure.

are you saying that this vertical movement is ok?

If the vertical movement is due to the lock slipping toward the unlocked position, then hell no it’s not ok. If the movement is due to the lock bar flexing toward the spine I believe it’s a inherently negative feature of all liner and frame locks. However, Some may require more force than others to induce the flex.

Same here. My large Inkosis "flexed" more than my large 21. The lockbar on one of my Small 21s actually failed completely.

Back