Sebenza 31 S45VN's are out

I’m thinking the Zaan tanto in 45VN is my next CRK.

Not in too big a rush.

I'm drooling over a large 31 in s45vn with black micarta.

Hopefully they come out soon.

Does this mean that all of the smalls coming off the line will be in the new steel? I ordered a small pj 31 back in September, will that have the new steel or the s35vn?

The key words are "left handed." CRK has production runs for blades ground to be right or left handed from the lock ramp perspective. I would think the right handed S45vn blades will come out after they have exhausted the current S35vn supply.

The key words are "left handed." CRK has production runs for blades ground to be right or left handed from the lock ramp perspective. I would think the right handed S45vn blades will come out after they have exhausted the current S35vn supply.
Some dealers have righty small 31s

Thanks for the clarification. I don't particularly care either way. I'm happy with the s35vn in my small 21, and I'd honestly rather that the 31 I ordered have the same steel just because I'm familiar with it now. I had to upgrade some of my sharpening tools upon the 21's arrival since it's the first knife I've had in several years that wasn't Vic stainless or simple carbon steel.

Does this mean that all of the smalls coming off the line will be in the new steel? I ordered a small pj 31 back in September, will that have the new steel or the s35vn?
If CRK is using S45VN on small Sebs that means they used up all of their S35VN for that model.

Has anyone sharpened this steel yet?
I'm about to today... I just got a small 31 in s45 today and it came pretty dull by my standards.

I've sharpened s45vn before and it wasn't that bad.

I'll report back later when I have sharpened it.

Edit to add:

It's not bad... it's noticeably harder IMO then S35, but a "familiar" feel. I just re-profiled my small 31 and it took maybe 30-40 mins with a convex KME and stropping. It reacts pretty similar to S35vn... just feels like it takes maybe 10-20% longer to sharpen.

Couple gut pics from taking it down today - the blade is stamped with "45". Kinda cool.

30azsQlh.jpg

XrfsrH4h.jpg

CjCLd1Uh.jpg

jvEK1Anh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about to today... I just got a small 31 in s45 today and it came pretty dull by my standards.

I've sharpened s45vn before and it wasn't that bad.

I'll report back later when I have sharpened it.

Edit to add:

It's not bad... it's noticeably harder IMO then S35, but a "familiar" feel. I just re-profiled my small 31 and it took maybe 30-40 mins with a convex KME and stropping. It reacts pretty similar to S35vn... just feels like it takes maybe 10-20% longer to sharpen.

Couple gut pics from taking it down today - the blade is stamped with "45". Kinda cool.

30azsQlh.jpg

XrfsrH4h.jpg

CjCLd1Uh.jpg

jvEK1Anh.jpg
Did you keep it convex? What degree per side?

Back