Sebenza bladeplay

kawr

Gold Member
Hey guys I've recently noticed some side to side play when locked open on my large sebenza 21 and its really bothering me. Now the amount of play is very small but I can definitly notice it and it definitly was not there when I bought it new 6 months ago. I'm trying to figure out whats causing it and I disassembled it multiple times to see what could be off. The only suspect seems to be the washers which have worn down but that seems far fetched. Lock up is solid between 60-70% and I assembled it properly following crk's instructions and all screws are screwed down tight. Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts here on the possible causes and perhaps fixes.

Mine had a little play after disassembly. I found i had assembed it leaving a little dirt on the pivot bushing and scales. After a good cleaning and reassembly --all is well.

Washers could do it.

Jim

Having disassembled and reassembled hundreds of Sebenzas over the last 15 years, there are different degrees of "tight". Blade play indicates that either the pivot or blade stop screws are not "tight" enough. Very gradual tightening might alleviate this. As the margin of looseness gets tighter, the lock-up ought to go from 60-70% to 30-50%.

Another problem might be due to the fact that one of the washers came off the pivot. If you really torque down on the pivot screw, and discover that the blade is still loose, thats a real good indication that the pivot, washers nd screw are out of adjustment.

I tend to use a small drop of blue lock tite on my pivot screw. That helps keep my adjustments the way I like them.

Good luck with your repair! If you don't want to do this work yourself, by all means, contact CRK.

try tightening the pivot screw a little more. It may have come lose a little. If all else fails then take it apart and clean it. THEN if that doesn't work send it back to CRK's and they will get you squared away.

If all the quick fixes don't work then I have no doubt CRK will take care of you!

F&F is CRK's biggest selling point right?

Best of luck!

Weird. I sent Heather an email Thursday night explaining pretty much the same situation with my large 21. I think I might send mine in for a retro fit. (new washers,bushing, and stop pin) for 14$. Not bad if you ask me.

I don't even know if I have a problem because I have zero side to side play when the blade is fully locked up. So I'm not too worried about it.
I only notice the side to side play when I disengage the lock and give the tip a wiggle.

I'll most likely have to pick up an umnumzann before I send the 21 in because there is no way in hell I can live without a Chris Reeve knife in my pocket for over a month.
There's just no way...Seriously, it psychically cannot be done...lol ;):D:thumbup:

Last edited:
Weird. I sent Heather an email Thursday night explaining pretty much the same situation with my large 21. I think I might send mine in for a retro fit. (new washers,bushing, and stop pin) for 14$. Not bad if you ask me.

I don't even know if I have a problem because I have zero side to side play when the blade is fully locked up. So I'm not too worried about it.
I only notice the side to side play when I disengage the lock and give the tip a wiggle.

I'll most likely have to pick up an umnumzann before I send the 21 in because there is no way in hell I can live without a Chris Reeve knife in my pocket for over a month.
There's just no way...Seriously, it psychically cannot be done...lol ;):D:thumbup:

The Umnumzaan will definately satisfy you while the Sebbie gets the spa treatment.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I tried everything that was suggested and dissassembaled and reassembaled my Sebenza till my fingers are raw and the play is still there and getting worse it seems like. Think there is a tiny bit of a vertical play developing as well which is crazy because lockup is still hovering around 70%. Not to mention lockbar is a bit sticky as well now. I guess I'll just have to send it in on Monday but I'm worried CRK wont fix much and say its "within specs" and I'll end up paying 40 bucks in shipping for no reason. This is a legit concern for me because of the trauma I received after dealing with Strider to get my SNG fixed. I'd rather just cut my losses and sell the damn thing and get a new Sebenza if thats the case.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I tried everything that was suggested and dissassembaled and reassembaled my Sebenza till my fingers are raw and the play is still there and getting worse it seems like. Think there is a tiny bit of a vertical play developing as well which is crazy because lockup is still hovering around 70%. Not to mention lockbar is a bit sticky as well now. I guess I'll just have to send it in on Monday but I'm worried CRK wont fix much and say its "within specs" and I'll end up paying 40 bucks in shipping for no reason. This is a legit concern for me because of the trauma I received after dealing with Strider to get my SNG fixed. I'd rather just cut my losses and sell the damn thing and get a new Sebenza if thats the case.

If it has vertical blade play something is severely wrong with it. Send it in and they will fix it up for you.
Because up and down blade play is definitely not "within spec" on a Sebenza period.

I would not hesitate to send it in if there is play it is not normal and CRK is not Strider.

Amos

Without questioning your judgment I will throw out there that if you take just about any knife, disengage the lock and wiggle the blade from side to side you'll FEEL bladeplay. I'm not dismissing your knife but from my own experience that perceived side to side wiggle is really vertical. It's really hard with a smooth opening blade not to instigate some vertical movement on an unlocked blade that my brain seems to turn into horizontal wiggle. I've fooled myself a few times with this illusion.

This may not be what is going on with your knife but I figured I'd mention it.

Without questioning your judgment I will throw out there that if you take just about any knife, disengage the lock and wiggle the blade from side to side you'll FEEL bladeplay. I'm not dismissing your knife but from my own experience that perceived side to side wiggle is really vertical. It's really hard with a smooth opening blade not to instigate some vertical movement on an unlocked blade that my brain seems to turn into horizontal wiggle. I've fooled myself a few times with this illusion.

This may not be what is going on with your knife but I figured I'd mention it.

It's not a lot of play but it's there. I sent an email to Heather explaining the situation and asking how much play should be there.

Like I said I'm not too worried about it. Again, I'm more curious then anything. It's only with the high dollar knives do I tend to notice and think a little more about these tiny and minute details.

I guess what I'm wondering is with CRK'S such tight tolerance's how much side to side play should exist by wiggling the tip with the lock bar disengaged and held open?
Enough to feel it? Enough to slightly see it? Enough to feel it but not see it?

If this was a Spyderco or Benchmade the play would be totally acceptable and I wouldn't think twice about it.

If you are using the knife n wouldn't even think about it , IMO sending back a knife for this, is nitpicking and borderline warrenty abuse via wasting their time! All my sebs wiggle a little with the lock disengaged , just not enough to consider it blade play ! I would use and enjoy the knife and if things get noticeably worse then send it back ..
Best of luck!!!

Oh agreed. I would never send this in under warranty. If anything a retrofit for 14$ would be it.

But that's not even the case, now that I know that some side to side play is suppose to be there with the lock disengaged.

I noticed it the other day and just wondered how much is suppose to be there.

No biggie. Just curious.

Thanks. :)

Here is a tip....when tightening the pivot, make sure the lock is not engaged, and the blade is open (being careful, of course, of the open blade).

Here is a tip....when tightening the pivot, make sure the lock is not engaged, and the blade is open (being careful, of course, of the open blade).

Thats interesting, first time I've ever heard of that and wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

Thats interesting, first time I've ever heard of that and wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

The lock can push the blade upward or forward and then create an improper fit.

I take it you have read this: http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenzaclean.htm

I did mine as the pictures show and then you dont let the lock engage before the pin is inserted.

Another thing to note is that one mans blade play can be another mans flexing of the blade. Some people will grab a knife by the tip, jank it side to side and call it blade play. Not that that is blade play IMO and I am not accusing you of it but keep it in mind.

Having disassembled and reassembled hundreds of Sebenzas over the last 15 years, there are different degrees of "tight". Blade play indicates that either the pivot or blade stop screws are not "tight" enough. Very gradual tightening might alleviate this. As the margin of looseness gets tighter, the lock-up ought to go from 60-70% to 30-50%.

Another problem might be due to the fact that one of the washers came off the pivot. If you really torque down on the pivot screw, and discover that the blade is still loose, thats a real good indication that the pivot, washers nd screw are out of adjustment.

I tend to use a small drop of blue lock tite on my pivot screw. That helps keep my adjustments the way I like them.

Good luck with your repair! If you don't want to do this work yourself, by all means, contact CRK.
I was looking for a answer to why my sebenza had a little play and you were right about the washer it looked like it was on evenly but I guess the lip of the washer was just slightly under bearing.

Back