Seconds ID?

Does Survive mark their seconds in any way? I picked up a like new 3v 4.1 here on the forums and can't find any defects what so ever. To me this really stands out as evidence of excellent QC. I ask the question because I just received new in box m390 version of the same knife from another forum and the grind marks along the spine are quite obvious. I'm new to these knives so I'm not sure if QC has improved since Survive produced the m390 version or if I paid premium for a second.
As a side note I know that this is purely a cosmetic issue and I plan on using both blades for a long long time.

It does. According to a video I saw Guy himself stated that they mark the seconds with a small circular divot underneath the scales towards the pummel. I am expecting a second 4.1 as we speak. I've heard from other members that the seconds are worth it. Can't wait to get mine.

Guys standards are very high. I can tell you I have a 4.1 second and I could not tell it was a second at all. That being said(someone correct me if I'm wrong)I think until recently the seconds were not marked, but the new ones are. IMO the marks are just cosmetic and will not effect the knife at all. Enjoy your new blade!

Thanks for the responses guys.
Poromenos, you will love it. As I (and Nate) mentioned earlier I could find no defect with my second and it led me to buy another.

I don't know if they are marked or not . But I do know Guy is pretty strong on making SURE no one is disappointed with one of his knives . My GSO 5 is a second and like all the seconds Guy lets leave the factory , they are only cosmetic issues and the knives are as good and as strong as one that's not a second . Believe me , I know ! I'm NOT easy on my hard use knives .

M390 was some of the first run GSO steel. It's from an older batch those marks are supposed to be there. They were designed to have the laser cuts as to give more of "tool" look. The newer stuff is even better polished than a while back, but still has little to do with quality. There was some ELMAX in there at one point, but I skipped that wagon. They're all good, enjoy the edges!

As said the 2nds do have a marking to distinguish them. Having owned a few seconds I can say theres no difference in quality, just aestheic depending on what you get, but nothing to compromise use and quality.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, we started marking the Factory 2nds with a small divot toward the pommel. Here is a photo of what it looks like:
2nd divot.jpg

That didn't start until recently so there may be a few out there without the mark. But the laser marks on the spine almost always get a pass through the QC. Some batches are more pronounced than others depending on the laser, the operator, the roughness of the steel, or a number of other factors. If we were to remove those marks from every blade the prices would need to go up considerably. Since these are designed to be working tools, Guy decided to leave the marks in favor of lower prices.

As far as the quality of our Factory 2nds, Guy doesn't want to sandbag anyone. We won't ever knowingly send out something that isn't going to stand up to whatever you may need to throw at it. They are also still covered by our warranty.

This has all already been said above, I just wanted to confirm.

Back