SEE OFFICIAL STATEMENT BELOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department.

We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.

When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement: “When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”

-Benchmade

I can accept your explanation on the destruction of guns. How about an official statement on this?

2W5STrD.jpg

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Ron_Wyden_Gun_Control.htm
http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Darlene_Hooley_Gun_Control.htm

Policy. Department policy. Not Oregon law, which doesn't mandate destruction and allows for police departments to sell those firearms.

How do you think helping some leftist gun grabber political appointed Chief execute his agenda is going to absolve you from this?

It's only going to dig you deeper.

Benchmade obviously thought the political winds had changed to the point that overt support of anti-Second Amendment initiatives would be a safe bet. Way to enrage a huge swath of your primary market sector, Benchmade. Maybe you can make up the shortfall by selling "artisanal" knives to millennials and hipsters who will never actually use a knife for any purpose other than display.

Benchmade obviously thought the political winds had changed to the point that overt support of anti-Second Amendment initiatives would be a safe bet. Way to enrage a huge swath of your primary market sector, Benchmade. Maybe you can make up the shortfall by selling "artisanal" knives to millennials and hipsters who will never actually use a knife for any purpose other than display.

I don't think they expected OCPD to pat themselves on the back for such mighty fine police work.

I wonder how many times they have done this with no backlash because it wasn't published?

f3EUmyt.jpg

I don't think they expected OCPD to pat themselves on the back for such mighty fine police work.

I wonder how many times they have done this with no backlash because it wasn't published?

f3EUmyt.jpg
That is a pretty funny picture but no, I don't think there is a Benchmade gun-destroying conspiracy.

That is a pretty funny picture but no, I don't think there is a Benchmade gun-destroying conspiracy.

I'm not saying that there was. But if the city shop just couldn't do it this time, because "the OCPD does not sell firearms..." who helped them out last time?

I'm not saying that there was. But if the city shop just couldn't do it this time, because "the OCPD does not sell firearms..." who helped them out last time?
I honestly don't care - I'm a firearm owner and hunter and I see firearms as tools, not things to be worshipped. The cops were going to cut them up and whose bandsaw it was makes no difference to me and I do not see this as an infringement on the second amendment whatsoever - should firearms used in gang murders be re-homed too?

People also like to use support/opposition to police whenever it suits them. When the left is against the police they are against law-and-order and those brave boys in blue... when Benchmade lets the police use their facilities they are boot-lickers who Hate Your Freedom.

Making this a second amendment issue is obtuse at best and the internet warrior outrage (likely from mostly non-Benchmade fans/owners) is simply going to harm a good American company.

But some people just like to get mad about nothing, that's all the rage these days. Don't you want to go back to the days when careers/reputations/lives didn't implode overnight because someone misspoke, was misrepresented, or just plain made a mistake? You are a small business owner and I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose everything because someone decided to start an online campaign against you for whatever reason. The golden rule has been lost lately, it's pretty sad how people jump on the bandwagon and demand blood at first notice.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care - I'm a firearm owner and hunter and I see firearms as tools, not things to be worshipped. The cops were going to cut them up and whose bandsaw it was makes no difference to me and I do not see this as an infringement on the second amendment whatsoever - should firearms used in gang murders be re-homed too? Why not? Just a tool as you said. What about if they were confiscated from some poor joe based on a false claim of DV? We don't know where they came from. I do know Browning BPS and leverguns aren't typically used in "gang murders."

Making this a second amendment issue is obtuse at best and the internet warrior outrage (likely from mostly non-Benchmade fans/owners) is simply going to harm a good American company. But some people just like to get mad about nothing, that's all the rage these days.

I don't call tens of thousands of dollars in political contributions to anti gun politicians while profiting off of the lie that the company is pro RKBA, nothing.

I don't call enabling an anti gun police chief who can't execute his own poorly thought out policy, nothing.

I'm not outraged. Just disgusted.

But by all means, continue to tell those of us who feel betrayed by Benchmade that we're being ridiculous and over reacting. I'm positive that will help calm the storm almost as effectively as the official response.

Last edited:
But by all means, continue to tell those of us who feel betrayed by Benchmade that we're being ridiculous and over reacting.
You just started posting in the Benchmade subforum today.

I am always on the side of rationality, not instantaneous knee-jerk reactions. I'll still support Benchmade and if others don't then that is their right; I believe in voting with your wallet and would never tell someone otherwise. But keep joining forces with the radical left to cannibalize American companies! There are plenty of Chinese companies ready to fill the voids.

The problem is Benchmade has been financially supporting anti 2A Democrats for a long time now. Gun and knives are one in the same and go hand and hand. Gun owners are a HUGE portion of Benchmades customers. Benchmade has been supporting Democrats who want to disarm American gun owners and turn them into criminals. That is the reality of what Benchmade has become.
I own dozens upon dozens of Benchmade knives and just bought several more new ones this week. I feel very betrayed. Les De Asis is going to have a MASSIVE backlash to deal with and it could bankrupt his company. I feel bad for the employees that will lose their jobs because of his stupidity in supporting the left. Here is Benchmades financial donations to liberal Democrats:
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000047693&cycle=A

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.

Benchmade's political donations to anti-2nd Amendment Democrat politicians as posted above fly in the face of your false claim.

Oregon PD Chief Band did the gun and knife buying public a favor by exposing your company's political stance on the Bill of Rights. Every time that video is posted it will be accompanied by a list of your political donations.

Wiggle out of that.

Civics lesson. Donations to a political candidate typically come in two forms. No strings attached financial support for a running candidate, such as party membership. And support of a candidate to the point that the candidate may be more willing to listen to the concerns of the donor.
Donations to one candidate and not both must also bring the consideration of the identity of the opposing candidate as typical corporate donations are to all valid candidates in the event that any should win. This is the same regardless of country, I'm speaking in general terms of course, if one side stands no chance of winning, why bother buying a fundraiser ticket?
So far there have been a lot of accusations, and a lot of conflations in all three threads. There are many balls of string between many cork boards. Motives have been assigned, and the web has been woven.

Did it ever strike you that someone may spend the money he has to invest in changing the mindset of another person? Is it possible for someone to agree 90% with one "side", and as an adult try to do what is overall best in one's own opinion? Or must one sacrifice all at the alter of a single issue? If it is to be such, which issue should be the one?
Does the private owner, of a privately held company need to justify every of his actions?

Take the issue aside. Replace benchmade and guns and replace them with any organization and any other topic. What would you think of someone using the arguments as presented above?
Foot stamping and tantrum throwing is unbecoming. This is the very thing that drives people away from wanting to support these sorts of causes.
The internet rage machine chugs along, and all the while we roll on past real problems. Things worth solving.

I want to say don't take a knife to a grinder if you've been drinking, but I don't know if I'm that good of a person, so if anyone looses some fingers over this, I don't know if I'll loose sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back