Seeking thoughts as to which Rick Hinderer model to start with.

Hello. I'm a knife newby and have been wanting to get one, but am not sure which one. Here's a brief review of my taste if that will help the focus. So far, the ones I really like and bond with in my collection are: ZT 0550(carry it every day), Para 2s(5 of them), Large Insingo Sebenza, and the CRKT High Jinx. I tend to like blades in the 3 to just under 4 inch range. My desire is for tactical(I CC) as well as utility. I seem to like all the Rick Hinderer knifes, but the Rare Bowie, the Eklipse, and the Wharnecliffe draws my attention the most. If I could get(or afford) an XM-18 with a Bowie Blade, I probably wouldn't even post this thread. My ZT 0550 and a preorder for a ZT 0562CF, brings me closer to a Rick Hinderer Knife, but it only reinforces the notion of wanting a Rick Hinderer knife. Thank you to any who respond. Much appreciated.

Cigar, it seems that you know the many hinderer models available. They all are great choices. The Bowie is a rare bird but not unattainable. If you know that the Bowie is the one that will be your grail I would hold out for that knife. Me personally I own many different blade shapes and rotate through them on a constant basis. Good luck on the hunt.

You are right. The Bowie is my Grail. Aside from the incredibly rich American history of this blade. The thought of having one in a folding, flipping, Rick Hinderer version would be a pinnacle. Definitely a K2 summit experience.

The Bowie is ok , I guess. Good luck in your quest...they are out there.

That's cold. Funny, but cold.
I suggest you just buy one here on the exchange. Pay attention to prices, and pay the going rate. If you don't like it, you can sell it, and all you're out is shipping and paypal fees. Small price to pay for firsthand experience with a knife, using and carrying, not just holding it at the counter for a few minutes.

I find the standard Spanto grind to be the absolute best combination of tip strength and EDC cutting ability. The customs are cool, but I'd hunt down something more easily attainable to see if you even like the XM-18 ergonomics.

IMO- the starting RHK is a 3.5" Spanto Flipper G10 scale of color pref and steel irrelevant.... perhaps it can be more complicated than that based on local statutes etc but assuming a wide open menu that would be my pick and then build from there.

Thanks to all of you so far, for taking the time to respond. Plenty of wisdom offered. Since, I've never seen any RH Knives, other than the 0550 he designed, it would make sense to try any of the XM-18s before going for the Bowie Grail. Perhaps I lack the wisdom gene, but my instinct resonates with the idea of getting the one I really want; the Bowie. I've been wrong before.

Start w/ a production XM-18 3.5 in either Spanto or Slicer and you'll know after some time w/ it what you prefer...in that if it's too small try the 24...too large, try the little 3"...and so on... The tools one chooses is a very personal thing...but I believe until you experience things first-hand it's all just guessing/assuming.

Start w/ a production XM-18 3.5 in either Spanto or Slicer and you'll know after some time w/ it what you prefer...in that if it's too small try the 24...too large, try the little 3"...and so on... The tools one chooses is a very personal thing...but I believe until you experience things first-hand it's all just guessing/assuming.

No one can argue with yours' or any one else's logic, expressed in this thread. Except the inner voice in my head. Believe me...I'm working on trying to silence him.

Given that you have a 0560 and pre-ordered a 0562, I am it sure you need an XM-18. The build quality of the 0560 and 0562 is extraordinary...in my opinion you won't gain much from spending twice as much for the XM-18.

believe me - once you hold an xm18 - you will want to get yet another, slightly different xm18 :D

Again, it's a very personal thing. But when comparing many ZTs to XMs I notice an obvious differences in material quality and there is a more personal vibe to the XM...in that--it truly feels it's produced in far fewer numbers than the ZTs.

Given that you have a 0560 and pre-ordered a 0562, I am it sure you need an XM-18. The build quality of the 0560 and 0562 is extraordinary...in my opinion you won't gain much from spending twice as much for the XM-18.
I have the 0550(not the 0560), but I get your point. Yet my past experience tends to make me agree with Need2Know's thought about the "vibe" of the Rick Hinderer Knife. The ZT 0562CF seems to get closer to the vibe of an XM-18 Slicer, as the currently in production(with RH in-house parts) ZT 0392 gets closer to an Eklipse. Don't get me wrong. My only actual experience is with the ZT 0550 and it's in my pocket every day. I certainly need to get beyond my intellectual understanding to see about this "vibe" thing.:)

I was of this same mindset a few years ago. Then I had an opportunity to handle an xm. Within a few months I sold my entire collection of ZTs, and CRKs to fund a collection of hinderers. I now own nothing but hinderers and i doubt that will ever change. Do yourself a favor and try one out. If you don't like it you can easily make your money back on the exchange.

I feel it's perfectly fine to own/purchase folding knives by other makers; but they get dusty while my XMs get dirty...just sayin'.

Back