Self-made Neck Knife Sheath

In May, I will be attending another JK Knives "Gathering" and we will be having a contest based around the idea of a "$20 Survival Kit". We'll have had several months to scrounge and hunt, assembling the best kit we can while staying under the $20 maximum (we have to have receipts for basically everything in the kit). At the end of the Gathering, we will exchange kits and vote for a winner (there's even a prize, a JK Custom!). We are allowed to modify anything we include, so I made this neck sheath for one of the blades in my kit. This is the first real sheath I've ever tried and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

The knife is a stainless kitchen knife (USA) and I think would serve most of the common cutting tasks like food prep, game prep and general cutting duties pretty well despite it's thin blade. I clipped the point on my grinder and removed the fine serrations to make it a plain edge (stones & a light stropping and it pops hair).

The leather came from an old jacket that our houseguest was throwing away. She saw an old jacket, I saw raw materials.

The sheath

DSC04382.jpg

I traced the blade onto a piece of the leather and then cut out a liner (welt)to help prevent the edge from cutting it's way out of the sheath. I then added the first layer, with top flap. I wanted to add a second layer to provide more protection from the point possibly pocking through and thought it might be nice to create two pouches. The front pouch holds a lighter, but could also hold matches, a whistle, fire steel, etc. The back pouch holds a length of paint stir stick with 220 & 400 grit wet/dry paper attached to use as a sharpener.

DSC04383.jpg

I may make another for one of my other blades (to keep for myself) as I kind of like the idea of having a few essentials close at hand in a small, light package.

DSC04384.jpg

My sewing skills have a long way to go (I also sealed each seam with superglue) but this was really a fun little project and I think it is a nice addition to my kit.

Just in case you are curious.....

Knife..........$.45
Paracord.....$.48
Lighter........$.33
Sharpener...$.05

Total cost: $1.41

Looks good! My $20 kit is done, ended up spending $19.86 on all the goodies.

You're really raising the bar there outdoorsfan. I better start getting more creative with my kit! :D

Jeff

Looking good! If you would like a low cost way to protect the edge and the tip a bit more you can make a slip for the blade using the plastic from a margarine container or milk just. Cut it into a sheet, heat what you need, fold it over the edge and press it down with a towel or work gloves al-la kydex. I've done it before messing around. It's not pretty but it works.

Once again well done.

Looking good! If you would like a low cost way to protect the edge and the tip a bit more you can make a slip for the blade using the plastic from a margarine container or milk just. Cut it into a sheet, heat what you need, fold it over the edge and press it down with a towel or work gloves al-la kydex. I've done it before messing around. It's not pretty but it works.

Once again well done.

I've done something along those lines for my hacksaw blade knives that I stash in my PSK tins (plastic from coffee can lids). I've been reading a bit more on this and may have to experiment a bit with the "poor man's kydex".

Great idea for a lot of different scenarios.

You're really raising the bar there outdoorsfan. I better start getting more creative with my kit! :D

Jeff

I'm quite sure you will come up with some cool ideas JDS1. But, just think, this is just what I will reveal now.....who knows what might be hiding in that bag. :)

Back