Sell me on Cold Steel knives

Hello everyone,

Back in like 2003, I purchased a Cold Steel True Flight Thrower (or whatever the equivalent was back then, as it looks pretty much the same) to throw at trees and just goof around with. I was going through a knife throwing phase and had a bunch of different throwing knives (yes, I was like 16/17 lol).

After about five throws against a tree, I heard a "ping" and found the knife had literally broken in half, dead in the middle of the blade. Now, I was not chucking the knife as hard as I could against the tree, these were measured throws aimed at getting the knife to stick. It did not break from hitting some random piece of metal in the tree or against a rock when it hit the ground.

After this, I chalked up Cold Steel products as being cheap trash, you know, "You get what you pay for". Since that time, I've never even looked at even potentially buying a Cold Steel product. I rocked my Benchmade Nimravus through 4 deployments and beat the everloving crap out of it, and it's still going, no issues.

However, after recently discovering this forum, it seems Cold Steel has a rather larger following than I assumed they would. I had assumed that CS really only sold their products to dumb kids like I was or people who didn't know any better and those that did, purchased "higher end" knives. But on this forum, I've reviewed a lot of posts from some very intelligent people that really know their stuff who are fans of CS.

So I'd like to try and keep an open mind. I realize (now) that one knife doesn't represent the whole company, especially when my experience is from 15 years ago or so. To CS and their fans, why should someone like me try them out again? What has changed since my poor experience with their knife that I should give them another chance? Can you guys sell me on them?

back in the day, most cold steel products were fairly affordable;
today however, one has to pay lots more to find out
just why its the premium factory-made martial knife brand ;-)
but in all honesty, each person probably has different points
when it comes to knife appreciation.
for me, i appreciate that the founder developed the brand
based upon his martial and hunting experience.
past CS consumer buying history has shown how it had turned
a number of 3-bladed stockman folder minded folks into zombie fighting tanto slayers.
just as there were many others clearly misunderstanding the basic idea behind these edge non-pc tools
and declaring the brand largely unsuitable for their mundane general knife task and applications.
yes! CS has taken steps to make product improvements throughout the years;
and boy, are they an improvement.
i believe they have shown a consistant commitment in gearing towards product improvements since day one
ie to build a product like no other.
and it;s no wonder why CS still continues to disprove their critics and competition
with their idea of "proof" testing their products with their spectacular abilities and AV "showmanshp".
but like i said, it now comes at a price few would be willing to test out...
in short, only willing buyers can truly attest to the quality of what they had paid for.
some may like them others may look elsewhere but then nobody can deny that CS is not without some real merits.

There are some pretty cheapo CS products and there are some bad CS products, but there's also a large core catalog of tough, affordable and really very practical knives that are, first and foremost, designed to cut.

I know not everyone is gonna be happy with me saying this, but CS is Spyderco's evil twin. Totally different on the outside, but their design philosophy is more similar than you would think. Heavy emphasis on ergonomics and cutting geometry and both companies put real emphasis on providing lots of bang for your buck. (Note: Not saying they're directly equivalent by any means, just that they have more in common than most think.)

Best knives for the money you can buy. Take a recon 1 for example - Stronger than the competition, better strength to weight ratios, better ergos than most and great cutting performance. And now with the same steel as these higher priced knives from other makers. Nobody needs to sell them to anyone, these knives sell themselves.

In terms of money per performance I find there are few better options they cut well are tough have a great lock and cost less than most knives in a similar vein. If you said I had to take a folder for survival or defence I would take a recon 1 over any ZT, Emerson, Microtech, or many others.

They're a great value and ideal for someone willing to tweak or mod.

Easily my favorite brand! I own over 60 CS products and all are great minus a Recon1 micro. It had a poor heat treat. I recommend you buy a cheap tri-ad such as the working man. That'll give you an idea on how tough the lock is. Recon1 regular size in spear point is my favorite knife.

I love the knives. Great quality, fairly priced and good Steels.

I HATE the mall ninja marketing and videos.

I own 5 and use them a lot in any case. Super solid lock. These knives can take abuse.

If you want a knife you won't be afraid to use cuz it's too pretty or too precious, and that will just work, CS is a good option for many of its models. Recon, AK47 (dumb name, good knife), SR-1, 4Max, Talwars - these are the the CS folders I bought since they upgraded the steel a few years ago, that I carry, and use. I find they are very good quality materials and build, the triad lock can be a bit annoying at times, but these are just solid, functional knives. All at reasonable cost for what you get. I love spyderco and carry those too, but I do think the CS knives are very good and good values. Ignore the chaff. One other thing - it is easy to think XL is for show, but the Talwar XL actually makes a pretty effective folding machete!

3 years ago I had 1 or 2 cold steel knives,now i have about 30+ ,they are tough with excellent heat treat ,for the most part they are a great value knife(Taiwan does some excellent work), with one the best , if not the best locks in the business ...the only downside is that very recently they are discontinuing some of the best knives they have and changing the steel( supplier issues) used in the remaining knives IMO to their detritment . very sad for me as I was just getting on board and really enjoying their knives.

I honestly don't own too many Cold Steel but the ones I do own are fine knives by any measure. As far as folders go, my American Lawman XHP is solid all the way. I do prefer the older thicker handle because the new thinner handle is a bit awkward for me to deploy. And I absolutely love my 3v Magnum Tanto II. As far as I know, the classic Tanto line has been great knives throughout its 30+ year history.

Their pro blowguns and xl throwing stars hit the mark every time! I’m sure their $100+ folders are tops. I prefer Spyderco and ZT.

They offer the triad lock plus an amazing warranty at a price point anyone can afford.
- they make knives of all sizes
- with out abusing or trying to break the knife they will last a very long time.
- they produce more period pieces and swords than most any other American manufacturer that I can think of.
- S35vn -Aus10- CTS-XHP- 52100

Buy one and you'll know what I mean try a 6 inch hold out - amazing

There are some pretty cheapo CS products and there are some bad CS products, but there's also a large core catalog of tough, affordable and really very practical knives that are, first and foremost, designed to cut.

I know not everyone is gonna be happy with me saying this, but CS is Spyderco's evil twin. Totally different on the outside, but their design philosophy is more similar than you would think. Heavy emphasis on ergonomics and cutting geometry and both companies put real emphasis on providing lots of bang for your buck. (Note: Not saying they're directly equivalent by any means, just that they have more in common than most think.)
I think you re right on target. They are very ergonomic in general and make great work cutters. They provide great bang for the buck, much like Spyderco has historically done. Probably the best bargain in production folders, now that Spyderco is competing with the likes of Benchmade in the MAP category. Stonger than the competition and a grest heat treat on the steel.
The Recon1, the American Lwaman, and the Ultimate Hunter are my three favorites. Those three compete favorably with the Military, the PM2 and the Griptilian respectively. Very favorably. And those are three of my all time favorites.

Last edited:
Q7jHoKb.jpg

Great knife after you take it apart and smooth the edges

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on CS! I was looking at getting a CS hawk after seeing the responses in this thread, but I just found out my brother bought me a 2hawks Longhunter lol. I'm definitely going to be eyeing some of the knives to add to collection for sure though.

My advice is to forget about Cold Steel and spend a lot of money on unbreakable knives from legitimate, high-end companies--companies that real knife guys respect, such as:

Buck

aYV4Wrh.jpg

Benchmade

lPuK9Ys.jpg

Spyderco

V3x0Y6K.jpg

Ontario

QvNhdvw.jpg

Kabar/Becker

J1aI4BF.jpg

ESEE

VSpdY9v.jpg