Selling knives

I am 15 and I live in Nebraska. Are there any laws preventing me from selling knives I make? Do I need a license to do so?

There are probably no laws that prohibit you from selling your knives.

However, there are probably laws governing what kind of sales tax permit you technically need to legally sell ANYTHING, especially within the state.

In Texas, the source of sales tax permits is the Comptroller's Office. Don't know what the Nebraska equivalent is, but it's there.

Find out what your threshold for sales under the "hobby" exemption. Keep good records. Shouldn't be too hard to find out the rules for your state for small businesses/ hobby sales. Treat it like a hobby as long as you can, being a business has advantages, but costs as well.

as mentioned check into tax permits and requirements ... also check into how to pay in your income taxes quarterly so you aren't shocked if you have a decent profit ...

also look into insurance ... for your business and to cover you if the worst case senerio a knife you made has a failure and someone gets lawsuit crazy ...

good on you at 15 to have a goal and to ask about things you need to know ... you'll find alot of good information on the forums ... use the search and you can find alot ... and most members are quick to help or answer questions ...

good luck to you young man!

Back