Sensory Overload: Blade 2016 (Photo-Heavy)

Good stuff. Even though I might say otherwise; I actually have little desire to attend Blade Show in general other than I think it would be good times meeting up with some of the folks who share my interests in knives and the outdoors.

I'm with you on city life. No amount of money will move me back to DC, and I look forward to the day we relocate away from the NYC/NY/NJ metro area

Blade definitely has it's good parts to make up for the stressful ones :)

I have never lived in a city as large as NYC or LA, But I did live in Dallas / Fort Worth twice for a few years each, Miami for a couple of years, Tampa for several years, and even Atlanta for a couple of years. I much prefer smaller towns.

Great pics as always Mist - thanks for the glimpse in to Blade!

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Very nice communicating the theme. The crazyness of city life contrasted with rural life is remarkable and well documented here. I especially liked the pics of the show blades and of the wives :D

Thank you. Yes Blade Show knives always have some special pieces thrown in the mix. The wives certainly have their own ways of keeping things interesting :)

Nice Gaucho Mist!

Thanks man, I'm digging it quite a lot. I had always been hesitant to do the ivory micarta for fear of staining, but then a friend made a knife for me and did the ivory micarta on it and it has really grown on me.

Brian, once again we missed each other at Blade. How the heck does this happen??
Great pictures as usual. Especially the candid shots. I didn't make it to the pit this time around. Wife had other plans.
I held that Guacho on Friday morning. Great choice, its a stellar piece and it looks like you're enjoying it nicely.

Glad things went well for you at the show.
Take care,
Sergio

Brian, once again we missed each other at Blade. How the heck does this happen??
Great pictures as usual. Especially the candid shots. I didn't make it to the pit this time around. Wife had other plans.
I held that Guacho on Friday morning. Great choice, its a stellar piece and it looks like you're enjoying it nicely.

Glad things went well for you at the show.
Take care,
Sergio

Lol, I don't know. This year was so insane my head was still spinning two days later.
Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Candid shots are the best kind. We made it to the pit on Friday night, but we skipped out on Saturday due to a dinner meeting and being exhausted in general.
The Gaucho caught my eye Friday morning around 10, and I stared at it every time I passed by the table. When it was still there on Saturday I couldn't take it anymore. I need to sort out a nice tooled leather slip-sheath for it.

Thank you, I think things went about as well as they went crazy so I definitely can't complain :D

Cool thread Brian!!! Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Homestead creamery is about 30 miles north of where I live. I drive right by it on the way to the lake house; we often stop for ice cream. Good stuff!!!

-Will

Cool thread Brian!!! Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Homestead creamery is about 30 miles north of where I live. I drive right by it on the way to the lake house; we often stop for ice cream. Good stuff!!!

-Will

Thanks Will!! Really glad you enjoyed the post! Their milk is awesome. I am going to see if our local store could maybe start carrying it.

Fantastic pics Brian. I'm not overly keen on big cities myself & can relate to what you feel.
BTW that's a very nice gaucho [emoji106]

Awesome pics! Seems like I was there myself

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the show :)

Fantastic pics Brian. I'm not overly keen on big cities myself & can relate to what you feel.
BTW that's a very nice gaucho [emoji106]

Thank you Abe. I loved the larger cities at one point in my life, but then they got to be just a bit too exciting for me...

Thanks, I am really digging the Gaucho!

Sweet pics Misty. Bit of long way to travel go get to Blade for us Norwegians;) I was diving up in the north so I couldn't have gone anyway..

Sweet pics Misty. Bit of long way to travel go get to Blade for us Norwegians;) I was diving up in the north so I couldn't have gone anyway..

Thanks man. Hmmm....only about 6K miles or so isn't it? That doesn't seem too bad... :p

Thanks for the pix as usual, Mist.
That new Gaucho is super classy. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the pix as usual, Mist.
That new Gaucho is super classy. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Daizee, glad you enjoyed them. That was exactly what I saw in it when I picked it up. One I could carry and use pretty much anywhere without upsetting the sheeple. I had several conversations with employees of the Galleria and the businesses around the park while I was there having my lunch and using the knife. Not one person was put off by it, and a few took a closer look at it. It makes a great food prep knife too.

Looks like you saved me from that beautiful Gaucho Brian. I had that one in my hand several times before walking away. When I came back to check it out one last time......it was gone. One thing for sure at Blade Show, you snooze you loose. In this case you were the big winner. Congrats on a nice snag !

Looks like you saved me from that beautiful Gaucho Brian. I had that one in my hand several times before walking away. When I came back to check it out one last time......it was gone. One thing for sure at Blade Show, you snooze you loose. In this case you were the big winner. Congrats on a nice snag !

Lol, it was the first one I picked up Friday morning, and the one I stared at every time I passed by the table. I just couldn't get it out of my head :)

Thanks for documenting your Blade Show experience Brian. It was nice to talk to you briefly while you were working the show. Hopefully next year you'll have more free time for socializing.

I am happy that you scored a Gaucho finally. The one I have is still my most used Fiddleback. The white Corian handle on yours is practical and attractive. I am sure that you will enjoy that one for years to come.

In regard to sensory overload, I had a similar but opposite experience to yours. Having lived my whole life in the greater Los Angeles and Phoenix/Mesa areas, Atlanta seems like a "small" town vacation to me. What was overwhelming to me was the seemingly never ending abundance of green lush landscape all over Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. You live in gorgeous surroundings with rich history and wonderful backgrounds for photo ops. By contrast, Southern California is dominated by brown. Drought stricken brown hills, a governor named Brown, and a state legislature that is full of "brown" with the liberty restricting laws they pass every year. I am envious of the beautiful country you live in.

Thanks Brian!

Phil

Thanks for documenting your Blade Show experience Brian. It was nice to talk to you briefly while you were working the show. Hopefully next year you'll have more free time for socializing.

I am happy that you scored a Gaucho finally. The one I have is still my most used Fiddleback. The white Corian handle on yours is practical and attractive. I am sure that you will enjoy that one for years to come.

In regard to sensory overload, I had a similar but opposite experience to yours. Having lived my whole life in the greater Los Angeles and Phoenix/Mesa areas, Atlanta seems like a "small" town vacation to me. What was overwhelming to me was the seemingly never ending abundance of green lush landscape all over Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. You live in gorgeous surroundings with rich history and wonderful backgrounds for photo ops. By contrast, Southern California is dominated by brown. Drought stricken brown hills, a governor named Brown, and a state legislature that is full of "brown" with the liberty restricting laws they pass every year. I am envious of the beautiful country you live in.

Thanks Brian!

Phil

It was good seeing you again Phil, I hope I do have more time next year. But this time being so busy was actually a good problem to have.

I thought it was Corian at first glance myself, but then learned it's ivory micarta or maybe ivory G10. Definitely not Corian though. To date my Woodsman has been my most used Fiddleback...most used knife in general, but I see the Gaucho giving it serious competition. I would love a Gaucho Jr for my lunch box :)

Having lived in Miami and Dallas / Fort Worth for years I get that. But for me I left home, a town of 8.5K people, and drove into and through a city with 20.5 times the population of the town I live in, and then drove to a city that has 2.5 times the population of that one. The difference in noise and vibrations was remarkable. I do like it here in the quietness of the Tennessee hills :)

Great pics as always Brian! Your pictures told a great story. I felt like I was there even for the stuck in traffic part.

That's a nice looking gaucho. I have been considering a gaucho for awhile now. I am wondering what your thoughts are on how different it is from the kephart? I know at 3/32" it is thinner, just wondering about other differences that stick out to you or other gaucho owners.

Back