Separate S or Not

clk

There was a time when RMK went from having a individual stamp for their marking stainless blades with S, to integrating the S with their RMK stamp.
Here are what I think are two examples.
The Micarta 5-4’s stamp appears lighter at the top of the S and right scimitar. So is it a Sep S or the “new” integrated. The knife is an early 70’s knife, about the time the S became inclusive.
The stag is a Sep S IMO. The S appears slightly left leaning!

Attachments

• D86572FC-5F08-4E34-B15A-555F0104237B.jpeg
    D86572FC-5F08-4E34-B15A-555F0104237B.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DF7E8DD5-CE1B-48DE-93EF-F8FB5113B68F.jpeg
    DF7E8DD5-CE1B-48DE-93EF-F8FB5113B68F.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 50
I would say yes to both being Separate, (many) others would say one or both are Inclusive. I use distance and strike depth as my indicators. That said, IMO, if it's not a Low S or Double S, it doesn't really matter all that much as they're both seven spacer knives, which I personally think is more important.

Here's an odd one, ordered in 1978. The economy was choking, RMK wasn't ordering new steel, they went to catalog price inserts that could be readily changed, and they dug deep into the blade bins in lieu of producing new blades. This is why spacers are important; they indicate when the knife was actually built...

Cool post Rod, thanks. Hope all is well on your end as it is here. :cool:

1-7_YM.jpg

I would say yes to both being Separate, (many) others would say one or both are Inclusive. I use distance and strike depth as my indicators. That said, IMO, if it's not a Low S or Double S, it doesn't really matter all that much as they're both seven spacer knives, which I personally think is more important.

Here's an odd one, ordered in 1978. The economy was choking, RMK wasn't ordering new steel, they went to catalog price inserts that could be readily changed, and they dug deep into the blade bins in lieu of producing new blades. This is why spacers are important; they indicate when the knife was actually built...

Cool post Rod, thanks. Hope all is well on your end as it is here. :cool:

View attachment 1278020

Sheldon

Thanks for your post/information. Boy if your posted knife was a Model 5, I would be begging you to sell it.
All is well here. Going to Europe in the spring, but back in time for Blade. Keep well.

Since I have the misfortune of not owning a highly coveted and informative Randall Knives book - How would I find out which production years had which amount of spacers particular to the year the knives were produced?

Thank you

Non-leather handled models with spacers typically used seven spacers from roughly 1943 through 1971; stacked leather handled models with spacers used five spacers from roughly the same 1943 date to current. Hope that helps.

Back