Serpentine Dagger

Hi Folks,

I've been a member here for years, but haven't posted much lately - mainly lurking.

I thought you might like to see a pic of the serpentine dagger I finished recently. Blade is CPM154, mirror polished. Handle is dyed box elder burl, fluted and with sterling silver twisted wire wrap. Guard and pommel are nickel silver. This was my first fluted and wire wrapped handle. Serpentine green box consim.jpg

As a newbie I can't even imagine how you ground this. How much work does go in a blade like this? Crazy stuff..

Lots of work.:)
Hollow ground on the edge of a 3" wheel. You have to use just the edge, because you can't fit the full face of the wheel in the curves. You have to lift it up and down AND rock it back and forth as you grind, depending on where you are in the curve. Mirror polishing it is the fun part.
I think it would be easier to flat grind it by holding it parallel to the wheel, but I love the look of a deep hollow grind.

Yes, very nice. That extra work you refer to adds to a distinct look. I like the wire-work in handle. Not only for looks, but offers a 'no slip.'

Back