Server issues @ BFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Gold Membership is expiring at the end of this month and I haven’t put up a new sales thread the past six months. I wonder if it’s worth renewing with all the slowness the past five months and the lack of any progress on the issues.

LOL. No E in Awful.

Should be though :thumbsup: (in this case in particular as) I am in AWE that this problem - most certainly an in house network issue - seems to be on total disregard mode by ADMIN. :confused:

SO I agree with the sentiment, in any language, as regards the ONGOING drag on BF streaming.

[my personal opinion]

It's 30 minutes. In a 24 hour day. Just log off for half an hour and come back when it's back to normal. You're going to let the other 1,410 minutes of the day be ruined by 30 minutes of slowness/downtime?

There's an ongoing pandemic that's wreaking havoc on businesses in general, and as of the last post from the admin it's an issue with the hosting company and he's not able to fix it himself while the hosting company seems to be affected by the pandemic. Every forum member is affected by the slowdown, it's not something that's personally targeted towards you. Complaining about the issue is doing absolutely nothing, it takes more effort to get pissed off than it does to just log off and do something else for a half hour.

EXACTLY ^ it is not simply a dedicated time each day. Blade Forums has become a regularly laggy site. Time of day has nothing to do with it in my experience. YES - much worse around 9/10 PM (I do stay off then :() but inconsistently throughout the day as well. I never know until I log on. I DO NOT have this experience with other forums (CandlePower being the exception and so I gave up on them). BF is more engaging to me. I really don't want to come to the same conclusion.

I have written in the past that I understand and expect that the C19 stuff is having a negative impact - though - for other forums, not so much AND this thread was started in February - 3 months before the economy even started to be effected by C19.

It's 30 minutes. In a 24 hour day. Just log off for half an hour and come back when it's back to normal. You're going to let the other 1,410 minutes of the day be ruined by 30 minutes of slowness/downtime?

There's an ongoing pandemic that's wreaking havoc on businesses in general, and as of the last post from the admin it's an issue with the hosting company and he's not able to fix it himself while the hosting company seems to be affected by the pandemic. Every forum member is affected by the slowdown, it's not something that's personally targeted towards you. Complaining about the issue is doing absolutely nothing, it takes more effort to get pissed off than it does to just log off and do something else for a half hour.
That's the absolute wrong answer and is an example of poor admin in my opinion.

If "Muh, Covid, Find something else to do" is Kevin's opinion, that needs to be known. Communication from @Spark is what's needed here, if the answer is "Guys we're shit out of luck" then members can work with that and make a decision about where to spend their money. "Get over it" is not acceptable whatsoever in my opinion.

-John

That's the absolute wrong answer and is an example of poor admin in my opinion.

If "Muh, Covid, Find something else to do" is Kevin's opinion, that needs to be known. Communication from @Spark is what's needed here, if the answer is "Guys we're shit out of luck" then members can work with that and make a decision about where to spend their money. "Get over it" is not acceptable whatsoever in my opinion.

-John

I'm only speaking my own opinion here, added a note to my post to make that more clear.

Spark's last post in this thread was a while ago, but if the situation is as he described back then I don't see it as having the ability to be changed right now. It would be nice to have an update post, yes.

I'm only speaking my own opinion here, added a note to my post to make that more clear.

Spark's last post in this thread was a while ago, but if the situation is as he described back then I don't see it as having the ability to be changed right now. It would be nice to have an update post, yes.
Thanks for making that clarification Matt.

My Moderator badge is granted and renewed with the purchase of my subforum, it's not bestowed based upon merit like in the case of a SuperMod. A lot of members aren't aware of that so I try to be cognizant that some folks will think that I speak on behalf of the forum, which I don't. I limit my administrative controls to the subforum and only Spam outside of it. I only bring that up because, as a SuperMod, I think there's a fine line you have to walk as your Administrative type posts reflect Bladeforums directly.

I'm a strong supporter of his site and like I've stated before I will be as long as I can. I hope that this problem isn't a case of neglect and we can at least get an update.

I think most problems in the knife community stem from a lack of communication. There's a lot of members here that have a valid complaint that needs addressed.

Thanks for making that clarification Matt.

My Moderator badge is granted and renewed with the purchase of my subforum, it's not bestowed based upon merit like in the case of a SuperMod. A lot of members aren't aware of that so I try to be cognizant that some folks will think that I speak on behalf of the forum, which I don't. I limit my administrative controls to the subforum and only Spam outside of it. I only bring that up because, as a SuperMod, I think there's a fine line you have to walk as your Administrative type posts reflect Bladeforums directly.

I'm a strong supporter of his site and like I've stated before I will be as long as I can. I hope that this problem isn't a case of neglect and we can at least get an update.

I think most problems in the knife community stem from a lack of communication. There's a lot of members here that have a valid complaint that needs addressed.

I'm fresh to the Supermod scene so I'm still getting used to that aspect of it, i appreciate the reminder when I make a post that could be misconstrued. Been a Gold/Plat member for as long as I've been a member of the forums but have only been a super for a couple of weeks.

I'm with everybody that the lack of an update is annoying considering the circumstances, I may just be able to forgive the lack of an update a little easier given the current circumstances. Most of my activity here is not affected by any slowdown (I still haven't experienced slowdown any other time but that half-hour slot in the evening) so it's easy for me to just log off for a bit and move on; I know it's not the same for everybody.

I'm fresh to the Supermod scene so I'm still getting used to that aspect of it, i appreciate the reminder when I make a post that could be misconstrued. Been a Gold/Plat member for as long as I've been a member of the forums but have only been a super for a couple of weeks.

I'm with everybody that the lack of an update is annoying considering the circumstances, I may just be able to forgive the lack of an update a little easier given the current circumstances. Most of my activity here is not affected by any slowdown (I still haven't experienced slowdown any other time but that half-hour slot in the evening) so it's easy for me to just log off for a bit and move on; I know it's not the same for everybody.
Well said and we're in agreement. My personal.schedule puts most of my quality posting (WIP posts and good lighting pics) between 7 and 9pm but I work around it. I think the problem here isn't so much the wound itself, but the seemingly lack of attention given to it.

The biggest issue here is the lack of updates - as John mentioned already.

I am a software engineer so I am usually in front of a computer most hours of the day and can check in with some regularity with regards to the forums. That said, once I am done with the day's work, I take more than a few moments to enjoy a dram and a cigar, take pictures of my knife carries, get better caught up with certain subs and then make my replies, comments, etc. That time usually falls within the 6:45-7:45pm PST timeframe - where the slowness and lack of function typically occurs.

I've had to adjust my viewing /posting habits as a result - which, to be rather frank - I shouldn't be obligated to do, especially being a paid member. I am a patient sort but, for crying out loud, an update is warranted. Even if it is to simply say, "I don't know what's going on but I am trying to get it figured out." Even if that is the case though, enough time has transpired that one should have a pretty good idea what is up and how it can get fixed.

If my company handled issues like this for any length of time in the manner that this has been (or hasn't), we'd be dropping clients right and left.

On January 29, 2020 after some upgrades all paid members started seeing ads and the system was slower. This was all mentioned in this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/i’m-seeing-ads.1709277/

On January 30, 2020 the ads stopped showing up for paid members but the slowness continued and this thread was created for that purpose on February 1, 2020.

We've had to contend with these issues for nearly 5 months now.

Yeah, we are simply looking for an answer. Even "Hey guys, I ran out of money and we're SOL." That would be OK. Anything is better than no communication.

My "Total Horseshit" message above ^^ was unnecessary. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back