Server issues @ BFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BladeForums was down for a good half hour around 10:00am PT today.

Error Message: "An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later."

Two different times today I couldn’t logon and it said there was an unexpected data base error.

Only site I go to, that often takes a long time to log in, or switch forums. Then there's the random total won't log in at all messages.

Very sluggish at 2:00am PT!

This has been going on now for a whole year!

It started when paying members started seeing ads as reported in the thread “I’m seeing ads” on January 29, 2020. Some also reported that BF was noticeably slower.

The ads showing for paying members was resolved on January 30, 2020 but the slowness persisted resulting eventually in this thread being created on February 1, 2020.

Living with this for a whole year is far too long.

Had the "IP address banned" message again tonight while I was at work. Is it possibly a wifi network blocking the site? I notice it happens when I'm at work. It doesn't happen when I'm home.

It was multiple locations at work its happened, not just one. Middle of the day, and middle of the night. Its working fine now that I'm home.

Edit to add.. I never connect to wifi hotspots while I'm out and about. Not sure if they can affect my internet if I don't connect to them. I'm using a Samsung S10 phone.

Could be your workplace security software. Mine doesn't allow access to Imgur.

Yeah super laggy right now, crash out each time you hit new posts or try to view a reply. The last hour or so starting after 7pm PST on a server probably run out of Seattle if Cloudflare is to be believed.

Was terrible for me also

But seems to be good now

This “lag” is about to have a birthday. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:
Even posting the above emoticon caused a stall. :rolleyes:

With all the ad revenue and paid memberships, is this not enough to upgrade the servers? Move to another vendor possibly?

It’s very unfortunate that a forum boasting about being the “Leading edge of knife discussion” can’t support its users.... what’s the point of continuing to pay for a membership...?

Last we heard from Admin @Spark was on December 20, 2020 when he said all sorts of fixes were planned! So, where are with at with all the fixes?

Just a heads up; we're waiting on new replacement VMs & other hardware to be provisioned from our provider, but this involves a move as well because the datacenter we're in has been sold & our data has to be migrated to another city. They wanted to set up our webservers in the new spot and leave the db backend in town, but that would have required some finagling that would have caused more issues.

We're also going be making some front end changes shortly after the new solutions are in place. More on that later.

The answer is "I hope so"

We've looked at multiple issues and have been made all sorts of promises. This happens randomly but most often at peak traffic hours (9-12AM EST, particularly Friday and Sat). At this point we're doing teardowns and replacing equipment; new firewalls, new servers, etc.

The latter requires changes to the former as well. Trust me, I don't like paying for software licenses I can't use.

Totally unusable last night around 11pm EST. I'm not usually up that late but was last night. I can understand the frustration of those who use the forum at that time. It was worse than bad dial-up bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back