SG2, the super steel that never caught on.

Super Gold Powder Steel (SGPS) or SG2.

I remember back in 2010 reading a Shun advertising for the latest and greatest SG2. I hadn't known what a powder steel was at the time and saw the pictures showing the more even grain structure and improved edge retention.

Fast forward to today, it seems this steel never quite took off in the US Market.

Is it simply availability? Or was it overshadowed by S30v?

The composition seems similar to a hybrid between CPM 154 and S30v

Does this steel have any advantages to the current stainless champions? (M390,Elmax,S90v,etc)

I believe it was availability. Jarosz uses it on all his compression locks and I believe Ken Onion still uses it a lot.

I believe it also wasn't very cost effective in that it was easier and cheaper to get a comparable steel.

An SG2 run of G10 Endura/Delicas were announced early this year but Sal just shot it down last month. G10 runs of the knives are now on hold until they settle on a replacement steel. It might very well be HAP40.

Sal:
As mentioned, sales are often the decider in continued production. We're working on a G-10 Endura and Delica in blue that was planned for SG-2, but the cost and minimum quantity required for SG-2 blows it out of the market. Now we're discussing an alternate steel for the G-10 versions.

It's just hard to deal with like Scurvy said.

Thanks for the responses guys

Perhaps I'm a victim of advertising. After all, in a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference.

My curiosity is getting the best of me I hate to ask about something so esoteric but I must.

Why is it so costly? Is Takefu a small operation? I would have thought they would want to have the steel be as prolific as VG10.
Is there a secret manufacturing technology driving up the cost?

If so it seems on paper that Elmax has sg2 beat in performance,cost and availability.

Is there some performance attribute to make up for the cost and lack of availability?

Shun Knives FAQ:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VG10, VG-MAX AND SG2 STEEL?

VG10, VG-MAX, and SG2 are three different types of advanced “super steels” that Shun uses to make our blades. In blades with Damascus cladding, the cutting core—the inner layer of steel that actually does the cutting—may be made of one of these advanced steels. Blades with no cladding may be composed entirely of one of these steels. These three steels go far beyond the typical “good, better, and best” categorization. Instead, think of them as “excellent, superb, and ultra-premium.”

VG10 is a highly refined stainless steel with excellent edge retention and stain resistance.

VG-MAX has more chromium and vanadium than VG10, which provides even better edge retention and corrosion resistance, and enables Shun to harden the steel so it will take an amazingly sharp edge. VG-MAX is only available in Shun knives.

SG2 is powdered steel; this means it is even more refined than VG10 or VG-MAX and it remains more ductile (less brittle) even though it is very hard. It offers superior edge retention and corrosion resistance, with less chipping.​

SG2 which is also known as R2 is becoming popular with Japanese knife makers but this is mainly with kitchen knives.

One thing to note regarding the title is that some steels take years even decades to take off... and yes some blow up as soon as they are announced like S30v. CTS-XHP recipe has been in the books at least since the 80's known as 440HX ie. stainless D2. D2 itself which was very popular recently has been around since at least the 1940's. Perhaps some of these obscure steels will resurface down the road maybe even with a cooler catchier name and take the knife world by storm lol.

Thanks Sharp.

Hey
Jason, a lot of knives go through your hands. What are your thoughts and opinions about it? Anything memorible?

Jfk, so many names. Henkles Miyabi line calls it MC63.

Thanks for the responses.

I won't comment on what's better or best but I can tell you I have a kershaw blur with SG2 and it is to this day the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever owned. I can literally shave my beard with it. Haven't used it enough to resharpen it but enough to see it holds its edge quite long.

I've had a Shun Kaji chefs knife for 6 years, I use it in the kitchen daily. The SG2 at 64 hardness takes a very crisp edge and is surprisingly easy to get there.
The edge at 15 degrees per side is very prone to getting tiny chips in it. Fortunately the micro chipping doesn't effect performance. I love the knife and it will always be in my knife block.

There was a Kershaw Blur 1670BRNSG2 and Kershaw Junkyard Dog 1725SG2.

hmmm, i can only say that it seems pretty popular in the fällkniven knives and geets great reviews there... maybe it is an american thing that other steels are "more" hyped.

Which model blur is that if you don't mind me asking?

Kershaw Blur 1670BRNSG2

19393033241_f08d3ff05f_c.jpg

19201303110_974c4590e0_c.jpg

That's awesome man. It makes sense since KAI owns shun and Kershaw. What's the story on that knife? Was it a limited run? What year?

Thanks Sharp.

Hey
Jason, a lot of knives go through your hands. What are your thoughts and opinions about it? Anything memorible?

Jfk, so many names. Henkles Miyabi line calls it MC63.

Thanks for the responses.

R2 is good stuff but nothing special, it has a good hardness of 62-63 and a higher level of wear resistance. Not so much though as to make stones stop working but enough to warrant the use of faster cutting water stones like the Shapton Glass. It holds a sharp edge for a long time too but I think the high hardness can make it somewhat brittle so a softer cutting technique is needed.

You could think of it like the little brother of ZDP-189.

That's awesome man. It makes sense since KAI owns shun and Kershaw. What's the story on that knife? Was it a limited run? What year?
It was a limited edition, June 07 I believe, around 900 pieces. The one you see above is my Franken-Blur with a 1670BL

Back