Shaman sprint run?

So what steel might that be? Knife knuts are a fickle bunch. Is PD1 equivalent?

Yes it is. But equivalent is not "complementary" (assume that's what Sal meant). Complementary would be, say, Maxamet :)

That’s fantastic news to read, it will definitely give people the opportunity to purchase one without having to compete with the flippers that ask stupidly high prices. Then, those that prey on desperate knife folks can keep the extra Shaman’s that they accidentally bought from different orders they didn’t think would go trough :rolleyes:

Yes it is. But equivalent is not "complementary" (assume that's what Sal meant). Complementary would be, say, Maxamet :)

Yeah, if I were them I'd go with something a bit different but popular like REX45 or K390. PD1 doesn't have the name recogntition/cachet of Cruwear despite its chemical equivalence. We all know how important marketing can be.

Yeah, if I were them I'd go with something a bit different but popular like REX45 or K390. PD1 doesn't have the name recogntition/cachet of Cruwear despite its chemical equivalence. We all know how important marketing can be.

The demand is already real, though, so I don’t think they need to worry about that. I look forward to this and will sleep easier next week if I don’t get a lottery pick at BHQ.

The demand is already real, though, so I don’t think they need to worry about that.

I think the scales and the steel are both critical to the demand. Let's say it was brown micarta and S90v. Would that be extremely popular? Maybe not.

I think the scales and the steel are both critical to the demand. Let's say it was brown micarta and S90v. Would that be extremely popular? Maybe not.
I agree but I'm saying in this instance there is already a lot of demand for cruwear so I don't think they would have to worry about the demand changing by substituting PD1.

I think there would still be a demand if they changed the color of the micarta and kept the steel. This way the collectors get to collect a new but similar model and those that just want a micarta Cruwear Shaman can still get one.

When you remove cw from the equation my interest level drops off.

Now, if they would like to run a complimentary steel IN ADDITION to another cw run, I’m all for it. But please give me the opportunity to purchase a cw micarta Shaman. Any color micarta will do except pink!

I think there would still be a demand if they changed the color of the micarta and kept the steel. This way the collectors get to collect a new but similar model and those that just want a micarta Cruwear Shaman can still get one.

When you remove cw from the equation my interest level drops off.

Now, if they would like to run a complimentary steel IN ADDITION to another cw run, I’m all for it. But please give me the opportunity to purchase a cw micarta Shaman. Any color micarta will do except pink!
I don't know, but I suspect that your interest in the Shaman mostly because it had a Cruwear blade (if I understand you correctly) is probably NOT a widely held opinion by others. I would love to see one in K390, PD1, Maxamet, Rex45, SB, LC200N, or S90V. Heck, I'd even consider one in H1 if it had the option for a serrated edge. IMO, variety is an asset to Spyderco and I think the Shaman offered in those steels would be in demand.

Cruwear would be great, but something like 20cv, S90v, CTS-XHP or Elmax would be cool.
CPM-3v would be the ultimate steel.

I’d say m390 would be nice, but I haven’t had the best luck edge retention wise.

I barely notice a difference between 3V and Cruwear.

Here is an idea for a complementary steel: CPM 154, the toughest stainless :)

I barely notice a difference between 3V and Cruwear.

Here is an idea for a complementary steel: CPM 154, the toughest stainless :)
It all depends on the heat treat of both steels.
Both are awesome in my opinion, but Sal said it’ll be a different steel so 3v would be amazing.
CPM-154 would be an awesome option so hopefully it won’t be laminated S90v/CPM-154 version. I’m not sold on that process.

Back