Shaman sprint run?

What’s a definition of hard use ?
I don’t think there’s a blade steel ever produced that will keep the internet happy or content lol.
I use to be a blade steel snob myself until reality hit and realized as long as it holds a edge and is reasonably easy to sharpen I’m a happy camper.
Do I have my favorites ? Of course I do but I’ll never tell the blade steel Executioners here :D Which would turn this thread into a blade steel war/battle lol.
What post here are you referring to that mentions "hard use"? Are you responding to a post or trying to stimulate conversation? Sorry, I'm confused.

No worries I believe it was post # 467
My apologies for not clarifying.

I think that the reasoning is sound in that post...though Shawn's videos in the past have shown that Maxamet was able to take more abuse than most suspected it could.

Still, I personally think it makes more sense to build the Shaman with a blade steel which would complement the thicker grind and heavier duty build.

Obviously, opinions will vary on this topic.

3v Or z-tuff shaman is where it’s at. I’ll take either in denim for Xmas please and thank you.

I think that the reasoning is sound in that post...though Shawn's videos in the past have shown that Maxamet was able to take more abuse than most suspected it could.

Still, I personally think it makes more sense to build the Shaman with a blade steel which would complement the thicker grind and heavier duty build.

Obviously, opinions will vary on this topic.
Absolutely and theres nothing wrong with his post as he’s stating his opinion
As did you and I :)
I just disagree and feel Cruwear is a great match with the shaman for what the knife was designed/intended for.
“Hard” use for some reason the first thing I think of is a fixed blade anyway not a folder. But hey that’s just me and another opinion :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I agree that CPM Cru-Wear is a great choice for the Shaman. 3V would also be something I would like as I use a small 3V fixed blade, (neck knife size), around the house as my go-to utility knife.

I agree that CPM Cru-Wear is a great choice for the Shaman. 3V would also be something I would like as I use a small 3V fixed blade, (neck knife size), around the house as my go-to utility knife.
I absolutely love 3V if my memory serves me correctly I had it on a few bark rivers and it was outstanding!

Seems like all them ended up on eBay and flipped here or FB pages for more money. Is anyone using there's LoL. Really sad for Spyderco collectors and users.
I use mine everyday since received and it’s a joy to own and use.
vPfQ3MW.jpg

I’ve noticed a trend in the knife world. Why is it that people tend to prefer 3v class super tough steels be used in thick over built knives.
And maxamet class steels be used in thin slicey knives.?

Wouldn’t switching them maxamize overall performance?

ie: thick maxamet will cut because carbides, and won’t break easily because THICK.

and the same for thin 3v, cuts longer because geometry and won’t break easily because 3v is stronger.

sorry if this is a noob question, just somthing I never really understood.

I had the same question, which I tried to answer by myself though not sure if it is correct. Basically steels like Maxamet are better for slicing because they can be sharpened very thin behind the edge while holding a keen edge longer. Thick Maxamet blades will cut but it is not taking advantage of its property. OTOH, a thin blade with tough steels like 3V will not hold a keen edge as long as Maxamet.

I’ve noticed a trend in the knife world. Why is it that people tend to prefer 3v class super tough steels be used in thick over built knives.
And maxamet class steels be used in thin slicey knives.?

Wouldn’t switching them maxamize overall performance?

ie: thick maxamet will cut because carbides, and won’t break easily because THICK.

and the same for thin 3v, cuts longer because geometry and won’t break easily because 3v is stronger.

sorry if this is a noob question, just somthing I never really understood.

A thin knife in a hard steel doesn’t feel like it can take as much abuse so people wouldn’t be as likely to pry with it in my experience. I’ve seen where people have pried with a maxamet pm2 thinking it would handle lateral loading... it didn’t.

The thinner harder knives maximize on the cutting ability. Thicker softer knives maximize toughness. A thicker harder knife would be neither tough nor good at cutting, and the same holds true for a thinner softer knife.

WOW!!! :eek: One, only ONE report of anyone scoring in the CruCarta Shaman BHQ lotto between the two forums! Really?!?!?! :rolleyes: o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine was carried all weekend while out Pheasant hunting. It didn't get used too much however, as my fixed blade belt knife saw most cutting tasks I needed done.

Happy with this model though, and based on my usage thus far, I'd swear this Cruwear was run harder than it was in the two PM2 variants I have from Spyderco. Seems to hold a fine edge longer than the PM2's. I wonder?

Manufacturers are trying to sell you products, Larrin is independently funded.

Elmax is not the toughest stainless steel nor the toughest PM Stainless.
Vanax is a tougher PM stainless.

AEBL is one of the toughest stainless steels

M390 can be prone to more retained austinite and Delta ferrite formation due it's chemistry with higher Austenizing making small gummy patches left over inbetween the tempered martensite matrix.

This isn't necessarily desired but when the testing piece is impacted on the charpy tester it may allow the piece to absorb more energy before breaking.

Elliot at ferrum forge has talked about M390 being slightly tougher with their testing at higher hardness but they didn't understand why.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of M390 nor Elmax. There are better steel designs from a makers point of view but the community is ravenous about these steels that the name sells the knife regardless of how good the HT or performance is to other steels.

With S45VN now released it might be time for Elmax to take a nap.

If all of that data you quoted is Larrin's, I'd like to see what the manufacturers claim instead (I take pretty much everything Larrin publishes with a very large dose of salt). This is the first time I've ever heard any claim that M390 is tougher than Elmax! (Also note that the two different curves are not the same type of toughness, and therefore cannot be directly compared.) Not that what you're telling me is impossible, but it is far from what I've seen previously.

Back