Shaman sprint run?

El Jefe dropped this casual bombshell in another thread :D

Thanx GWG,

'Twas one of those that required many prototypes to get it down. I'm carrying one in brown Canva Micarta. Not a lot of eye appeal, but it's holding up fine. Looks a little funky, though I like it. Nice pics.

sal

It looks like a Micarta Shaman might happen!!! Fingers crossed that he keeps it stonewashed and makes it Cruwear!

El Jefe dropped this casual bombshell in another thread :D

It looks like a Micarta Shaman might happen!!! Fingers crossed that he keeps it stonewashed and makes it Cruwear!

Old news, FYI. ;)

PS - Over on the Spyderco home forum, there's a thread called, wait for it... Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread. :) News of a micarta Shaman broke some time ago, and sparked the Shaman sprint steel poll.

Last edited:
Is this still happening? I suspect not since i'm not sure if Shaman is selling well due to the recent price hike...

Is this still happening? I suspect not since i'm not sure if Shaman is selling well due to the recent price hike...
I would have bought a Shaman (and almost did) at the original price, then it went from $145 to $190 and it wasn’t so appealing anymore.

I hope this is a dealer exclusive making it open for a rerun. This knife is a user. A chance of a rerun would be great instead of a lower volume sprint run being made to be sitting in collectors safes.

I just received a Shaman.

Nice knife about the same size as my Manix2 w/a noticably wider and slightly longer blade. The contoured handle is nice ergo wise but I still prefer the Manix2.

A CF linerless version to reduce weight/bulk w/LC200N steel to make it corrosion resistant would be an major improvement IMO.

Last edited:
Probably hard to do a compression lock with no liners.

But I do agree with you. A single liner CF s90v would be amazing!!! I would also settle for a lockback version. Then the liners could be deleted.

I just received a Shaman.

Nice knife about the same size as my Manix2 w/a noticably wider and slightly longer blade. The contoured handle is nice ergo wise but I still prefer the Manix2.

A CF linerless version to reduce weight/bulk w/L200N steel would be an improvement IMO.

Probably hard to do a compression lock with no liners.

But I do agree with you. A single liner CF s90v would be amazing!!! I would also settle for a lockback version. Then the liners could be deleted.

I'm no expert and I may not be using the correct terminology but the Mantra 3 that I am carrying at the moment has a compression lock and G10/CF laminate scales w/o full liners. The compression lockbar is just inlaid in the show side scale. Not saying they should use a G10/CF laminate but they could use solid sculpted CF scales (like on my Perin PPT) and inlay the compression lockbar on the show side of the scales as they do on the Mantra 3. Then it would just be a matter of which steel to use.

As for the steel, I see no purpose in switching from S30V (which is already quite good) to some other premium steel that will just increase the cost w/o any major benefit in terms of edge retention but I would see value in switching to LC200N (which they have put on the Autonomy) which is basically impervious to corrosion/staining and, while probably inferior to S30V in edge retention (while increasing the difficulty of sharpening), that would still probably hold up well to the types of use a Shaman normally would be put to.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Last edited:
I'm no expert and I may not be using the correct terminology but the Mantra 3 that I am carrying at the moment has a compression lock and G10/CF laminate scales w/o full liners. The compression lockbar is just inlaid in the show side scale. Not saying they should use a G10/CF laminate but they could use solid sculpted CF scales (like on my Perin PPT) and inlay the compression lockbar on the show side of the scales as they do on the Mantra 3. Then it would just be a matter of which steel to use.

As for the steel, I see no purpose in switching from S30V (which is already quite good) to some other premium steel that will just increase the cost w/o any major benefit in terms of edge retention but I would see value in switching to LC200N (which they have put on the Autonomy) which is basically impervious to corrosion/staining and, while probably inferior to S30V in edge retention, that would still probably hold up well to the types of use a Shaman normally would be put to.

I think that both Cruwear and Micarta will age well with use. Both Cruwear and Micarta with darken with use, I fully intend to scuff my scales up to a matte finish for a better grip :D

Only had one presale go bad, however this should be a high demand piece and the price is more attractive than the S90V Carbon fiber Sprint from May. We're going to see how the market feels about this one and Presale... Score one however you can!

Back