Shaman sprint run?

I'm a big fan of M4, but I'm not a huge fan of the Jade either TBH, and I had plans to dye the scales a translucent blue. I even bought the dye, but haven't gotten around to doing it. But then I got an idea from CPK, and I'm going to try to make them ghost blue instead. :cool: At some point when I get a chance anyway. ;) Maybe sooner than later now that I think about it...

OK, I think we're doing this... :eek:

IMG_4485.jpg

Awesome. Nothing better than a knife in pieces lol.

Can't wait to see it. Unless you want micarta scales for your jade scales! The only thing about the jade is I dont like seeing internal milling sometimes.

Yeah. I don't understand why some folks have such a hard time disassembling Spyderco knives, I've never had an issue, even with the red Loktite. Good tools DO make a big difference though.

I've already started the process, though it's not quite going the way I'd hoped. I have another idea though, if this one doesn't work out so well. It's much simpler too, kind of wish I'd have thought of it first...

Yeah. I don't understand why some folks have such a hard time disassembling Spyderco knives, I've never had an issue, even with the red Loktite. Good tools DO make a big difference though.

I've already started the process, though it's not quite going the way I'd hoped. I have another idea though, if this one doesn't work out so well. It's much simpler too, kind of wish I'd have thought of it first...

Spill the beans. What's the other idea and how did it come out?

The shaman in particular is one of the easiest knives EVER to take apart. A quality torx bit goes a long way. Even more so if its the proper size !

Spill the beans. What's the other idea and how did it come out?

The shaman in particular is one of the easiest knives EVER to take apart. A quality torx bit goes a long way. Even more so if its the proper size !

Not to further derail this thread, I'll start a new one shortly (making dinner). It turned out well. Here's a teaser... :p ;)

IMG_9656.JPG

ETA - How-To thread with results HERE

Last edited:
They are not shipping yet. We have only shipped to collectors and Premieres.

sal

Hi Sal.

This is solely my perspective, no doubt bereft of the realities you must deal with in your business, and I offer it only as someone that has a dozen sprint or DE Spyderco's (all users) among my folders, and very much wants a Cru-wear micarta Shaman to use.

All I see with this Sprint Run Shaman, is a user. The materials, design, aesthetics, everything about it cries 'use me' so very loud and clear. I don't see pattern welded steel or MOP or gold plating or fancy/schmancy anything to make it a safe queen or rare collectors item.

It just seems so contradictory to me, that such an eminently usable tool as a cru-wear/micarta Shaman, that has such a clear and ready market for a larger amount to be made available, is being made in such a small number which will result in so much disappointment for many that want to use this Spyderco.

Instead of a Sprint Run (quick mad dash that only a very few get anything from, often wrongly motivated) could there be a more accommodating Jog Run, in which larger crowds of people can participate at their own pace, and get enjoyment from? As in, make a lot more cru-wear micarta Shamans?

Sincerely and with respect,
C.P.

72613209_2364862730436360_6865024250743357440_o.jpg

I love this knife. I lucked out and found one. It’s really solidly built. Good luck to all of y’all.

Hi Cursum Perficio,

The "right" number to make is always a challenge. We never now how the market will react to a model. I guess we'll see after they're all gone, whether or not to make some with a different color?

sal

Making the same knife in different colors--in this case a Shaman with micarta and Cruwear--may actually have the effect of dampening over exuberance and putting the brakes on the flipping scene. The same knife with different colors of micarta reduces the issue to what color should a buyer purchase, not if a buyer will get to purchase one at all. And what color a buyer wants is a personal choice that reduces the ability of the flipper to know which is best in terms of resale mark-up value.

Making Cruwear a production steel would have the same effect, at least in this case. Save the Sprints for “new” release steels.

For all the hubbub, sprints are still fun though.

Hi Cursum Perficio,

The "right" number to make is always a challenge. We never now how the market will react to a model. I guess we'll see after they're all gone, whether or not to make some with a different color?

sal

If I manage to get one in brown Micarta, I would still pick one up in a different color. Denim would be cool too... just give us more Cruwear! :D

Hi Cursum Perficio,

sal

Thanks for your reply Sal.

Scale colour seems of little importance to me (provided you don't go wild with yellow polka dots or something :confused:).

More Sprint runs of cru-wear Shamans with different colour micarta may see 'collectors' wanting one of each colour in the safe, more scalpers due to small number releases, repeats of what's about to happen with this run, that is, just too hard to buy new for some people that want one to carry and use.

Just a personal view, I don't see that as being in keeping with the 100% pure unadulterated user that is the cru-wear micarta Shaman.

Of course, you need to be confidant you would sell enough of them to consider making them. So I do hope you have good success with the cru-wear micarta Shaman, enough for it to become more readily available to customers.
I need one to go with these :)

RDfLG2I.jpg

umZbEvh.jpg

Back