Shapton 1500 r 2k stone???

Hey there I emreally wanna try a new stone , I just wanna dip my toe in as many pools as I can I guess ,. That is when it comes to sharpening and knives... anyways I mainly sharpen my knives , soft Victorinox breaking n boning .. wanted t kno or just hear y’all opinions on the matter... so what ya think? Shld I go with 1500 or 2k .. I’m thinking 2 k might b stretching it a wee bit but I do have some Bokers and civi with d2 so yea thanks In advance

The Shapton Pro 1500 is formulated to work with carbon steels while the 1000 is formulated to work with Stainless steels. The 2k is formulated for both. The Shapton Pro line of Japanese waterstones is made specifically for lower alloy steels and the stones are formulated for carbon steel, stainless steel, or both depending on the stone selected. As an example, the Shapton Pro stones would be ideal for VG-10, Aus8 or 1095. Steels with more wear resistance or hardness would be better suited with the Shapton Glass Stones.

Do you have a coarser stone already? If not I suggest starting with that as a 2k will only work on an edge you have preset and would be a poor choice to start with on a factory edge.

Personally, I would recommend the Shapton Glass 500 and a lapping plate such as the Atoma 140. You can add the 2000 grit Glass stone later and have nearly everything you need to sharpen most anything with an edge. I would make a strop right away if you do not have one already and coat it with some diamond compound. The 500 and strop is one of my most common edc edges and even works well on Vic knives.

Back