Share Your Beater Knives!

Just curious what knife you guys grab when you are about to do some nasty work. We all have one, the knife we grab and use for things that a knife might not exactly be suited for.
I generally use my manix 2. Super strong knife and Im really impressed with how well the coating has held up over the past 4 years. I carry it more often than not just because im not afraid to use it and abuse it, or even hand it to someone for them to use!
It gets used pretty often for light prying like you see here, not much, just breaking free some handle scales on a knife im making or scraping off some old epoxy off my table.
Also pictured is my ontario rat one which I have had for around 7 years and it has also seen some pretty nasty use as you can see!
20180111_172957%201_zpsjbtlwezk.jpg

The manix 2 IMHO is one of the best designed knives out there. Thick enough to be stout without sacrificing too much cutting performance. Extremely strong lock and a handle that provides good strength for cuts that apply torsion to the pivot.Not to mention it being one of the best handling knives I own. (i just wish they cut have given a little more cutting edge)
20171026_152210_zpsk3imdlui.jpg

Here is the rat one during its first cleaning after around 6 years of cleaning catfish cutting wood, breaking down lots of boxes from when I worked at walmart, and it spent the last six months sitting on my work bench getting covered in metal dust and micarta. Still locks up tight as the day I bought It!

Just curious what knife you guys grab when you are about to do some nasty work. We all have one, the knife we grab and use for things that a knife might not exactly be suited for.
I generally use my manix 2. Super strong knife and Im really impressed with how well the coating has held up over the past 4 years. I carry it more often than not just because im not afraid to use it and abuse it, or even hand it to someone for them to use!
It gets used pretty often for light prying like you see here, not much, just breaking free some handle scales on a knife im making or scraping off some old epoxy off my table.
Also pictured is my ontario rat one which I have had for around 7 years and it has also seen some pretty nasty use as you can see!
20180111_172957%201_zpsjbtlwezk.jpg

The manix 2 IMHO is one of the best designed knives out there. Thick enough to be stout without sacrificing too much cutting performance. Extremely strong lock and a handle that provides good strength for cuts that apply torsion to the pivot.Not to mention it being one of the best handling knives I own. (i just wish they cut have given a little more cutting edge)
20171026_152210_zpsk3imdlui.jpg

Here is the rat one during its first cleaning after around 6 years of cleaning catfish cutting wood, breaking down lots of boxes from when I worked at walmart, and it spent the last six months sitting on my work bench getting covered in metal dust and micarta. Still locks up tight as the day I bought It!
Jeez...

Im actually surprised at the Rat. You used it for 7 years and still performs. Were you maintaining it well? Im fairly new to knives so I imagined that the teflon washers just disintegrate into nothing after a long time of use... did not expect the skin-thin teflon washer can last that long with the usage you describe.

Jeez...

Im actually surprised at the Rat. You used it for 7 years and still performs. Were you maintaining it well? Im fairly new to knives so I imagined that the teflon washers just disintegrate into nothing after a long time of use... did not expect the skin-thin teflon washer can last that long with the usage you describe.
Did not maintain it well at all actually haha. they are thin and flimsy but very durable. The only down side is that they can make it a little finicky when putting it back together but after a little fidgeting it went together fine with perfect centering. There is a very soft side to side play however, its not loose it is just a slight kind of mushy play when the knife is adjusted to still have good action, but it is not at all concerning or noticable unless you use quite a bit of side to side force. Keep in mind that Rick Hinderer uses teflon washers also on his knives, which to a lot of people are the peak of hard use knives. I would prefer bronze washers, but for a knife i paid less than $30 for you cant complain too much about them. I have had the knife wet, oily, had various cleaners soaked into the pivot and still no problems. I even cleaned the knife up with lighter fluid which will melt right through cheap plastic and still had no problems.

Using an actual knife for non-knife stuff is just not smart, so I use the cutter I got given for free at my job; no sense risking an investment doing stupid stuff.

e2ScEeI.jpg

This 15 was butter knife dull for the longest time, I was just too lazy to sharpen and kept using it. Even dug a hole in rough dirt with it. Not what I'd typically do with a knife but this once can handle it. I finally gave it a good edge the other night, and rounded off the tanto-tip-transition to make for a more usefull edge.

rIJZply.jpg

Beater knives ... I found a big bunch of those 29 cent disposable stainless serrated "steak" knives in the dumpster of a company that provided short-term apartment rentals for business (?) people. Great for when you want to heat a blade to melt the end of a nylon rope or something.

A long while back I got a few kitchen knives from Goodwill for $2-$3 each. Two nice ones and one a little bruised. My wife put them away somewhere (I hope). Just lately I noticed they were MAC brand and are pretty $$$. Like $100 for a 3-piece set. The thin ones, somewhat like these.

MAC-4-Piece-Knife-Set.jpg

Beater knives ... I found a big bunch of those 29 cent disposable stainless serrated "steak" knives in the dumpster of a company that provided short-term apartment rentals for business (?) people. Great for when you want to heat a blade to melt the end of a nylon rope or something.

A long while back I got a few kitchen knives from Goodwill for $2-$3 each. Two nice ones and one a little bruised. My wife put them away somewhere (I hope). Just lately I noticed they were MAC brand and are pretty $$$. Like $100 for a 3-piece set. The thin ones, somewhat like these.

MAC-4-Piece-Knife-Set.jpg
Yep, my mom gave me all of her crappy old Walmart kitchen knives and I sort of repurposed them. Some I modified the blades on for different things others I just have a rough edge on the bench grinder used them as they were.
I used them till they broke or got too dinged up or I lost them or whatever then dug out another one to use for random crap.

My Spyderco Mantra 1. Not really a beater as most would think but everything I do with a knife I would do with it.
4KZo7dG.jpg

It looks like a knife to me, and last time I checked knives are for cutting stuff ;)

It looks like a beater knife to me, and last time I checked beater knives are for cutting and prying stuff :p...... I get your point of view on how knives should and should not be used but I prefer to pry with knives that im not really afraid of breaking

Back