Share your French traditional/regional pocket knives

too small for a real brie de Meaux , not sure if raw milk... and the bread is not a baguette.
Does not prevent from being a nice picture. :);)
It's a genuine French triple cream brie.
But the baguette...well that's the closest thing you can get here to the real deal unfortunately. I tell people I live in a culinary wasteland. :( Brie can be imported, baguettes not so much...

You can make a proper baguette at home (excuse the English knife).
8w5McuZ.jpg

I lived in France for a few years and saw enough of the good and bad of it, but if I were a wealthy man I would absolutely get on an airplane a couple of times a year at least just to be able to have real French bread again. Nothing here in the States comes anywhere close to it, as far as I have been able to tell. Here is a picture of a sad Opinel wishing he had some REAL bread to cut, so we can all pretend this thread is still appropriately knife-related:
TctxzRE.jpg

Last edited:
J Just Tom. , it would be a pleasure to send you a few baguettes but I'm not sure they will arrive in good shape o_O

Â
Thank you anyway, though, it’s the thought that counts. I suppose it is just as well, because then I would feel obliged to send you our only local delicacy, blue crabs, and you definitely would not want to find those in your mailbox after a long trip through the postal system! When I do get my hands on some good bread, I could possibly cut it with my only other french knife:

UPB9utU.jpg

Just for the pleasure...
220px-Boite_de_Brie_de_Meaux.JPG

If I were the one dedicated to go to the bread, I surely would choose that one far right and the surrounded part (croûton / quignon) would never reach home (it is commonly admitted this part is for who gets the bread, usually eaten on the way home;)) though I'd prefer a tad darker!
bagu-ette.jpg
In my district, for years we had an awfull bread, partly due to flour mills war and change of wood fed ovens for gas or petrol. Then a yougster settled and won the yearly competition of the best bakery and the right to bring bread for the Elysée for one year. Curiously the other bakers tried to match quality (and price) :rolleyes: ....

Well, I'm sure in this thread we are adult enough not for somebody to get all prissy & controlling about posting only the 'relevant ' type of knife...;) A big function of most knives, historically and factually is their use in cooking and eating. I very much enjoy using pocket-knives in food prep or at the table/on a picnic. The French have some of the best cuisine in the world, both complex & simple and their cutlery enhances food pleasure.:cool:

Lot of talk of bread here, not surprisingly as it's the 'staff of life' and Jolipapa Jolipapa is very correct, the one who goes out to fetch the bread get's the first kill:D My test of good bread is can it be eaten alone without anything? If it can it's good. Reminds me of a holiday in Périgord nearly 30 years ago, in the village a young man had just re-opened the bakery the loaves were superb, not just baguette but huge loaves de campagne with a really tough chewy crust. On some days a morose old type driving a corrugated 2CV Van was offering a depot du pain, home delivery of bread when the bakery was shut:cool: Long ago...

Here's a couple of loaves from a local artisan baker in Vasa where I live, good tough chewy crusts and a sourdough interior, plenty of tooth work and great taste. First is a Sourdough Rye, so forgive the intrusion of alien knives:D but as I say, I'm sure nobody here is going to start nagging

Pj3CLyu.jpg

Then a Sourdough Levain which compliments cheeses really well, blue in particular

xWE8J4K.jpg

But just in case.....

boSyy6I.jpg

Just for the pleasure...
220px-Boite_de_Brie_de_Meaux.JPG

If I were the one dedicated to go to the bread, I surely would choose that one far right and the surrounded part (croûton / quignon) would never reach home (it is commonly admitted this part is for who gets the bread, usually eaten on the way home;)) though I'd prefer a tad darker!
View attachment 1145304
In my district, for years we had an awfull bread, partly due to flour mills war and change of wood fed ovens for gas or petrol. Then a yougster settled and won the yearly competition of the best bakery and the right to bring bread for the Elysée for one year. Curiously the other bakers tried to match quality (and price) :rolleyes: ....
That’s it ! I am baking bread tomorrow ! I’ll be back with bread, butter and the appropriate couteau

I was going to put this in "Beverages and Blades" but I think it's better here. Carbon steel #8. Never had problems with rust, which is surprising since a stainless steel pocket knife in the same drawer did rust some.

TgAZQB1.jpg
That Beaujolais is a great value, one of my favorites especially with a good pizza.
That Opinal is in Amazon cart right now.

Back