Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

Yep. This is my first knife boo-boo, if you want to call it that. I had just received this knife here: (cute little Boker--and I love him just as much! Remember, it's not the knife's fault, but the operator of it!):

And a few hours later, upon trying to remove it from the sheath where it was next to impossible to pull out--it was in there tight--this happened:

So I was wiggling and pulling it and apparently had my hand/wrist in a location it shouldn't have been... When it finally released...I got myself pretty good....seven stitches (the doctor had thought it would be 8 or 9 upon seeing it)...you should have seen it before the stitches..very deep and non-stop blood dripping from it. It was a pretty long wound..and as I said, nastily deep. I just got home a little bit ago.

However, due to my various allergies...I did not have any anesthetic at all or pain meds...I just took it like a "woman" :) The doctor called me a 'bad ass' (NOTE: these were his words..not mine...so no offense meant by my repeating). Be it known, after cutting the you know what out of my wrist by my own stupidity, the last thing I felt like was 'tough' or 'bad'...ha ha I felt quite stupid and embarrassed! So go ahead, make my day! Laugh! This is my first 'blade girl' injury. My left wrist is wrapped in way too much gauze right now. Nonetheless, it wasn't this cute little knife's fault, but the 'person' who was holding it (me)!

Last edited:
Probably the wrong forum for this.

But been there. Done that more than a couple times!

Oh? Where should i put it.. I can remove it and place elsewhere.. :) Thanks for telling me! I searched and could find nothing about this type of thing and had no idea where to put it.. .thought since it involved a traditional fixed blade..this was the proper place. Let me know if you know a better place.and thanks again!

Did the same thing with a TOPs bob. Sheath was tight, pulled it out, apparently startled myself and tried to jam it back into the sheath, but managed to jam it into the heel of my right hand instead. All in the post office parking lot. Whoops. Managed to stop the bleeding, drive home amd get some superglue on there. Live and learn :)

Did the same thing with a TOPs bob. Sheath was tight, pulled it out, apparently startled myself and tried to jam it back into the sheath, but managed to jam it into the heel of my right hand instead. All in the post office parking lot. Whoops. Managed to stop the bleeding, drive home amd get some superglue on there. Live and learn :)

Wow...thanks for sharing! I guess I feel even goofier being that i was just withdrawing it from the sheath...

Oh, sorry..and forgot to add... thank you for sharing that. Makes me feel like I'm not the only one who did a major knife related blunder!

Huh! I had them same purple blueish knits holding my skin together about two years ago, doing something I knew I shouldn't with a Case sodbuster, I still don't have much feeling in half of my left thumb...We've all been there to some extent, live and learn.

P.S. Did they start asking you the "questions"? Like, do you feel safe at home? I laughed and said yeah, I got my three kitties to keep me safe.

That's a fixed blade, but I don't see what's traditional about it.

Now next time somebody mentions using a knife for self defense, think back on this and multiply about 50.

But this needs to be someplace else. Definitely not traditional.

Oh? Where should i put it.. I can remove it and place elsewhere.. :) Thanks for telling me! I searched and could find nothing about this type of thing and had no idea where to put it.. .thought since it involved a traditional fixed blade..this was the proper place. Let me know if you know a better place.and thanks again!

For the traditional forum, think old timey knives, folders and fixed blades that your grandpa would carry.

Slip joints, Fixed blades in old timey styles and shapes.

Huh! I had them same purple blueish knits holding my skin together about two years ago, doing something I knew I shouldn't with a Case sodbuster, I still don't have much feeling in half of my left thumb...We've all been there to some extent, live and learn.

That stinks that you have lost feeling..must've cut into a nerve ending. I could have had another accident weeks ago..but got lucky...thanks to my boyfriend yelling at me to get my attention. I was talking and did not have my glasses on...I can't see that well without my reading glasses at times.. so, I nearly pushed on the sharp side of the blade thinking I was on the smooth side that you push to close..uggh! Talk about stupid! Note to self: never utilize the blade without the glasses! It was my SAK Camo Explorer...

For the traditional forum, think old timey knives, folders and fixed blades that your grandpa would carry.

Ohh..okay! Thank you for 'better' educating me. I apologize :) I was unaware and am glad you told me. I hope I do not get into trouble...not sure if I should just delete it or leave it here and see what comes of it...

Ohh..okay! Thank you for 'better' educating me. I apologize :) I was unaware and am glad you told me. I hope I do not get into trouble...not sure if I should just delete it or leave it here and see what comes of it...

Some one will be along to move it (maybe to General) soon.

Or they might leave it.

My last good cut severed a nerve in my thumb.

Now next time somebody mentions using a knife for self defense, think back on this and multiply about 50.

But this needs to be someplace else. Definitely not traditional.

Well, how do i move it? Or do I just delete it? And where would something like this go? Someone else just told me too and I have apologized, as I did not know this was the wrong place...still learning. Sorry for any offense. P.S. I have only asked people's opinions on knives in re to self defense.. and mentioned it as last resort if in desperation and you were definitely going to die otherwise..but it was a quick mention in a post here. I was not trying to push for knives in general as self defense... I collect knives as a hobby. Thanks.

Some one will be along to move it (maybe to General) soon.

Or they might leave it.

My last good cut severed a nerve in my thumb.

Well thank you again, Bigfattyt. It was super nice of you to inform me so that I know. I really do appreciate it. I am sorry about your thumb! I hope maybe there is some sort of therapy you could get? I know chiropractors do this shock therapy to re-stimulate dead and/or dying nerves...

Thanks for editing and adding the photo! That helps! What about the fixed blades? Is this fixed blade you see here of mine considered acceptable for this thread?

P.S. Did they start asking you the "questions"? Like, do you feel safe at home? I laughed and said yeah, I got my three kitties to keep me safe.

Just saw your P.S... no! ha ha ha But, they did ask when I said it was a knife...'what type of knife?' 'what were you doing with the knife?' etc etc. Not good to have a huge cut on your wrist!

Just saw your P.S... no! ha ha ha But, they did ask when I said it was a knife...'what type of knife?' 'what were you doing with the knife?' etc etc. Not good to have a huge cut on your wrist!
Someplace, somewhere, there is a new manila folder and a file with all the pertinent information...

Mods will move the thread where they want it. You won't get in trouble, honest mistake and you're new.

Worst knife oops I had was as a kid with my first Swiss Army knife. Pretty little red thing, very sharp. I was probably 12 or so. Was cutting something (no recollection what) and the blade slipped and cut into the base of my left thumb near the palm. I didn't get stitches but just put it in a bowl of ice and water and then used band-aids. I still have a scar there to remind me, but I have to look for it. I no longer have the knife.

My more recent little oopses here and there have been minor cuts that only needed a simple Band-Aid and were just finger tips. Usually from trying to polish or clean a new knife.

That looks very painful. Very sorry for your pain and injury. I hope it heals quickly and you have a full recovery without much scarring.

Back