1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blade Girl, Feb 18, 2015.

1. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    How about if we adjust the title and see how it goes?

2. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets marked in her file..and no matter where she goes, they think she is crazy! LOL

3. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Certainly...what would be good or more fitting? as I am new and more than likely will screw it up again... :) Thank you, Mod.:thumbup:

4. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Thank you, my friend :) Yes..it is/was very painful...so were the stitches....but, I managed to not flinch, my voice did not shake..I talked and laughed and watched everything the doctor did. I have, in times past, given myself stitches with clear thread and a needle, as I have worked in dental and medical industry for years. When I did it myself, I had no pain meds or topical pain reliever, so I wasn't that scared. However, I am sure it will leave a scar as it was very deep..nasty looking. If it does, it's alright..it'll just add more character to my hand/wrist...heh? :) Thanks again for your kindness and care.

5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I've never cut myself due to the blade accidentally closing.
    Sharpening? yes.
    Posing knife for display pics? Yes.
    Distracted while using? yes.

The silliest one was when I was setting up a stockman for a pic with all three blades open. The knife started to slipp and without thinking I grabbed it. The main blade got my thumb pretty good. No stitches though.

6. Cory Hess

Cory Hess

Jul 1, 2014
    This summer my dad gave me his 8OT to sharpen. It looked like it hadn't been sharpened since he bought it in the 70s. I sharpened it up and gave it back to him when he came over to go fishing with the kids and I. I had just gotten my son a new pole, so when I ran into the gas station to buy the bait my dad tried to cut off the tags. He wasn't expecting how fast it would cut and he buried the clip blade into the pad under his thumb. I came out to find him with a diaper wrapped around his hand (it was the only thing he could find in my truck to stop the bleeding). We ended up in the ER and he got 5 stitches. I felt like a total jerk because I probably should have stressed how much sharper it was a little bit more. I warned him, but just in passing. We never got out fishing, and we were stuck in the ER long enough that the kids and I were late to the Open House at the school where the kids got to see their classrooms for this year and meet their teachers for the first time. We had to go straight to the school from the hospital, so Dad had to come along. His hand was wrapped up like a mummy and he had blood all over his clothes. He made quite the impression at the grade school. We do get a lot of good laughs about it now.

7. BrotherJim

BrotherJim

Feb 9, 2015
    OUCH !!!
    That's going to leave a line that a palm reader may make more of than your wildest imagination LoL ... on the other hand ...

8. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Pretty much same here, Frank. No problems (as an adult) when using a knife for the intended purpose of cutting something with it.

My little gotchas have been during the initial clean-up, buffing, and polishing of a new knife, or posing for a photo and trying to get multiple blades open. In other words - playing with it instead of using it.

It got to where it seemed that every new knife needed to get a little taste of my blood before it deemed me worthy enough to put it into my pocket. I haven't cut myself in a while but sure as I type it I'll jinx myself.

9. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    You are most welcome. I know you ran into a few elbows and hard shoulders in some of the other areas here, but I assure you here in the Traditionals sub-forum we try to treat everyone with friendliness and respect. It's always nice to have newcomers expressing an interest in this corner of the hobby. I hope you'll continue to visit here.

10. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    oh..you were so lucky NOT to have to have any stitches!

11. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery

Dec 8, 2011
    Well said John.

I have had some cuts along the way, but none from traditionals that have required stitches. The earliest was sharpening my first knife, a Barlow. The silliest was when I was showing my ex a hand forged bowie with an 8" blade. She accidentally dropped it and I tried to catch it, note to self don't do that again.:eek:

I do have a scar similar to what you will have from a carpet knife. I installed flooring for 17 years and had several ER visits from that.

Chris

12. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    I recently cut myself with a new Chris Reeves Sebenza...not too deep or long, but enough to suprise me because I handle knives frequently and have a lot of them and respect them greatly. Haven't cut myself much, but once every few years I get a small one. Sheesh that is quite a gash you sustained! Heal well! :->

13. ferdinand

ferdinand

Aug 13, 2010
    The cut that ticks me off the most is from a bear trap spring, seems to always get the top of my left thumb when opening. Another was making fire with my boys and sheathing my mora I ran it through the web on my left hand, ten stitches later. The best part is my kids think accidents are an adventure they enjoyed the ER.
    Respectfully, Chance.

14. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Ha! yeah..I am sure at the time it wasn't so funny, but looking back makes for one of those good stories that is quite fun to share with other people! Kinda funny to imagine the school scene and the kids faces! You probably never heard the end of it! LOL!!!

15. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Yeah..for sure! Let's leave the 'other' hand out of it..I need at least one to be fully functional! ha ha! Thank God it was my left and not the right though, as I am right-handed! Usually everything happens to my right hand! :):):)

16. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Sure thing! Sometimes stuff gets to me, but overall, I am a pretty tough gal with thick skin ;-) I am not one to give up. I love and much enjoy Blade Forums and most people I have met here. I also put a link beneath most of my articles I post on Alternative Media telling people to check out blade forums... I try to give back what they give to me by allowing me to meet so many wonderful, good people and share my hobby!

17. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Maybe when I am older, I can turn it into some really good story for grandkids..<big smile> The time I was wrestling crocodile bare handed! <another big smile> I'll whip out my large knife collection (the way I'm going, I'm sure to have hundreds at that point...maybe more) and tell them that I was known around these parts as Blade Girl for my ferocious fighting and knife expertise! <not that's a tall tale...> :):):)

18. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Geez Chance...TEN stitches? OUCH! Must've made mine look like a sissy cut! Do you still have that Mora? If so, would love to see a pic of it!!! A knife with a story is always an even better blade....

19. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Thank you for changing the headline of this thread for me. I appreciate your kindness and for not getting upset with me for messing up! HUGS!!!!!!

20. Blade Girl

Blade Girl

Feb 4, 2015
    Thanks for sharing your experiences...hearing all these helps me feel less embarrassed and less stupid now. I have to admit, I felt like a real idiot! It is not nice that anyone has had injuries..I don't mean it that way...but it is nice to know most all knife users have made similar mistakes and that I'm not alone in that.