Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

Get well soon BG !! :)

P.S. - at least you did not just about burn your house down like I did a short time ago. :D

If you really want to freak people out, on the day you're supposed to get the stitches out, do it yourself, in front of a group of people. The expressions are priceless.

If you really want to freak people out, on the day you're supposed to get the stitches out, do it yourself, in front of a group of people. The expressions are priceless.

I have stitched myself at least three times when I had no medical insurance with sterilized clear thread and a needle... and have always taken my own stitches out... :) The expressions of those watching me stitch myself was awesome!!! ha ha ha ha Taking them out doesn't really feel like anything, but doing your own stitchery does. I have worked in the medical industry and dental.. In dental, I had to remove stitches from the very back of people's mouths on a regular basis. I learned how to do stitches watching the dentist do it every day. People get so queasy over that stuff... You have a good point! Might as well have fun with stuff, ya know? <wink>

Mine would be when I pushed the blade of my lockblade trapper into my palm in the meaty part below my pinky when I was cleaning a squirrel. I still have a lump and scares on both sides. Went to med check but they would not stitch it so I went home and used some CA glue to close the wound..

I have a habit off cutting my thumb or finger when I why down a blade. Just a moment of inattention.
Dave

This summer my dad gave me his 8OT to sharpen. It looked like it hadn't been sharpened since he bought it in the 70s. I sharpened it up and gave it back to him when he came over to go fishing with the kids and I. I had just gotten my son a new pole, so when I ran into the gas station to buy the bait my dad tried to cut off the tags. He wasn't expecting how fast it would cut and he buried the clip blade into the pad under his thumb. I came out to find him with a diaper wrapped around his hand (it was the only thing he could find in my truck to stop the bleeding). We ended up in the ER and he got 5 stitches. I felt like a total jerk because I probably should have stressed how much sharper it was a little bit more. I warned him, but just in passing. We never got out fishing, and we were stuck in the ER long enough that the kids and I were late to the Open House at the school where the kids got to see their classrooms for this year and meet their teachers for the first time. We had to go straight to the school from the hospital, so Dad had to come along. His hand was wrapped up like a mummy and he had blood all over his clothes. He made quite the impression at the grade school. We do get a lot of good laughs about it now.

I will vouch for Cory's skills sharpening up a blade. The vintage 8OT he sent me was shiveringly sharp. I keep all of my knives incredibly sharp, but I barely put my finger on the edge to test its keenness and a small bloom of blood welled up from a new cut I had no idea I had made;) I have made a note to myself that if I am ever lucky enough to handle another knife that has passed through his hands...I'm testing it with a sheet of paper, not my own little piggies;)

Most embarrassing traditional knife boo-boo still has to be when I got my Scout Knife in Cub Scouts for selling however much popcorn it required. We had a presentation ceremony. I was given the knife in a box and got my picture taken giving the scout handshake with a senior scoutmaster etc. We were driving home in my dad's old Chevy Scottsdale. This was back in the days when trucks didn't have back seats. It was my dad and mom on either side of me, and of course, I was fondling my new knife. It was the second time my dad had told me not to mess with it since we were sitting in a cramped truck. Being about 8 years old at the time meant that I didn't listen to him at all and kept fiddling with the knife checking out the blades and tools.

We hit a nice size pothole and the spear blade slams shut on the on the meat of my middle finger. I let out a silent scream which does nothing to stop the profuse ebbing of blood. Mom was to the rescue with some napkins from the glovebox and my dad gave me a much deserved I-told-you-so talk before taking my knife away from me until we got home.

I've cut myself SO many times, but that one still lives on in my memory. Instant Karma for not listening to my dad. I will say, those old Scout Knives (I don't remember who made them for the Boy Scouts back in the mid-80's) came razor sharp:p

My goodness, that is a wicked cut, I hope you have it bandaged up after that photo? Quick healing too !!

I've not gotten too messed up with cuts from traditional knives, well I didn't take photos afterwards ;) about the only time I remember letting some blood leak out was with my Opinel Slim's while I was setting up for this photo, I had some tacky stuff holding the knives in place and at least twice the back of my hands rubbed against the blades and they were RAzOrs so they cut me to the quick!

Slim-ebony-olive-1a.jpg~original

The Slim #8's in Ebony and Olivewood, pocket razors...
G2

Mine would be when I pushed the blade of my lockblade trapper into my palm in the meaty part below my pinky when I was cleaning a squirrel. I still have a lump and scares on both sides. Went to med check but they would not stitch it so I went home and used some CA glue to close the wound..

I have a habit off cutting my thumb or finger when I why down a blade. Just a moment of inattention.
Dave

That had to have hurt!!!

I will vouch for Cory's skills sharpening up a blade. The vintage 8OT he sent me was shiveringly sharp. I keep all of my knives incredibly sharp, but I barely put my finger on the edge to test its keenness and a small bloom of blood welled up from a new cut I had no idea I had made;) I have made a note to myself that if I am ever lucky enough to handle another knife that has passed through his hands...I'm testing it with a sheet of paper, not my own little piggies;)

Most embarrassing traditional knife boo-boo still has to be when I got my Scout Knife in Cub Scouts for selling however much popcorn it required. We had a presentation ceremony. I was given the knife in a box and got my picture taken giving the scout handshake with a senior scoutmaster etc. We were driving home in my dad's old Chevy Scottsdale. This was back in the days when trucks didn't have back seats. It was my dad and mom on either side of me, and of course, I was fondling my new knife. It was the second time my dad had told me not to mess with it since we were sitting in a cramped truck. Being about 8 years old at the time meant that I didn't listen to him at all and kept fiddling with the knife checking out the blades and tools.

We hit a nice size pothole and the spear blade slams shut on the on the meat of my middle finger. I let out a silent scream which does nothing to stop the profuse ebbing of blood. Mom was to the rescue with some napkins from the glovebox and my dad gave me a much deserved I-told-you-so talk before taking my knife away from me until we got home.

I've cut myself SO many times, but that one still lives on in my memory. Instant Karma for not listening to my dad. I will say, those old Scout Knives (I don't remember who made them for the Boy Scouts back in the mid-80's) came razor sharp:p

Ahh..kids not listening..ha! I go through that every day with my own. :) Did it stop bleeding pretty fast or was it a real bad one?

My goodness, that is a wicked cut, I hope you have it bandaged up after that photo? Quick healing too !!

I've not gotten too messed up with cuts from traditional knives, well I didn't take photos afterwards ;) about the only time I remember letting some blood leak out was with my Opinel Slim's while I was setting up for this photo, I had some tacky stuff holding the knives in place and at least twice the back of my hands rubbed against the blades and they were RAzOrs so they cut me to the quick!

Slim-ebony-olive-1a.jpg~original

The Slim #8's in Ebony and Olivewood, pocket razors...
G2

I have to say, those are some NICE Opinels and, excellent photography! Those blades are so perfectly polished they look like mirrors...beautiful!

I am sure I will probably nick myself here and there, but I certainly hope it is nothing like this one. Thank God I did not take a photo of it before the stitches..it looked nasty and deep.... Yes, it is all bandaged up..no stick gauze, gauze wrap and some self stick tan stuff that looks like the stuff you put in drawers and cabinets. Needless to say, the shower wasn't quite so easy. Ten days of standing in the shower with a bag over my hand, trying to wash my hair with one hand with the bagged hand in the air as if I am doing a 'raise your hand if you're sure' deodorant commercial, or trying to ask a question in grade school...is going to be tough! ha ha ha

Ah that's good, had a similar thing when I was a senior in highschool, I was mixing up rocket fuel, no joke, well I stirred it just a tad to hard and it ignited and melted the glass stir rod, and burnt both hands to a crisp, took a long time to heal, and had to have both hands wrapped up for a long time, not fun! even today the cold bothers my hands more than I think it should, I was lucky that my reaction time was quick as my hands saved my face/eyes...

G2

No, seriously...

When I was 12 - 13 I'd already amassed a pretty good sized collection of knives. Mostly crap, but I had a couple that were pretty nice.

Earlier in the year a new family had moved in 5 houses down. He was in the military and as such had to relocate every few years. His daughter happened to be my age and in a few of my classes (smart!). She had olive skin and dark, dense hair in loose natural curls. Good lord was she pretty.

Over a few weeks we became friends. We'd hang out, go to the mall, movies, etc. Typical adolescent activities. We also started carpooling to school. Her little brother went to a school across town so she'd walk to my house in the morning and ride with us to save her mom the extra trip. It was one of these morning that she became aware of my knife collection.

Girls liked me. I don't know why, but they did. I'd had a girlfriend or two and was well aware that a collection of knives was not high on the list of most girl's interests. I was certain any hope of my attempts at flirting and getting her to be my next girlfriend were just blown. She was SO pretty too. Oh well.

To my surprise she actually seemed genuinely interested in them. With no prompting she started asking me about them. Not just the usual "why do you have these?" either. She noticed the blades were different, some had a button looking thing on the back, a stud on the blade, etc. Holy crap! She's gorgeous AND likes knives. I couldn't whip them out of the shadow box fast enough! I spent the next few minutes telling her what I liked about each, where I got them, how they worked and so on. Then she asked about the one above my bed...

It was my maternal grandfather's OLD Old Timer. I'd never used or carried it. It stayed above my bed as a memento. (I feel compelled to tell you here that this particular grandfather kept his knives so sharp that they'd scare the hair off you before they ever needed to cut it.)

So I take it down to show it to her. When I did I stepped up onto the bed, the mattress itself. I turned, open the blade and stepped down. When I stepped though, my foot caught the sheet and I stumbled forward. (See where this is going?) I may as well have done a full wind up and crow hop for how quickly that damn thing flew across the room. Then she made a weird noise... Not a scream or anything, kind of a cross between a yelp and a gasp.

I looked up to see my grandfathers knife buried about an inch in her left bisep. She got 3 stitches.

We never dated. Lol.

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry if I rambled. Been up for a few too many hours.

It was Thanksgiving and my brother, who has the Irish virus, wanted to impress his new girlfriend by carving the turkey. He was sitting down probably because he had too much to drink. A piece of turkey slid off the bird onto his thigh and started to slide off onto the floor. With cat like reflexes he stabbed that piece of meat and saved it from falling to the floor. Within seconds everyone was in the kitchen to see why he was screaming.

It was my brother not me, honest!

Not when it went into the skin. Sharp knife, it was more like dang look at the knife sticking through my palm. Cleaning the wound and ca (super glue) stung more.

Dave

Yeah, it didn't hurt initially when I got mine last night..it wasn't until a short time afterward... and as time progressed, it hurt a bit more.

It was Thanksgiving and my brother, who has the Irish virus, wanted to impress his new girlfriend by carving the turkey. He was sitting down probably because he had too much to drink. A piece of turkey slid off the bird onto his thigh and started to slide off onto the floor. With cat like reflexes he stabbed that piece of meat and saved it from falling to the floor. Within seconds everyone was in the kitchen to see why he was screaming.

It was my brother not me, honest!

Mmmm hmmmm.... I believe you. I promise! :cool:;)

Back