Sharp By Design Void (Reate)

There are at least 5 full reviews on YouTube on this knife, so I'm just going to add a few thoughts that I didn't see covered in those videos along with pics.

I'll start with my conclusion: I think it's very well made. I like it and I'm 87% sure I'm going to keep this in the rotation for a long time. If the design appeals to you, I would easily recommend it to you.

Opening methods: This knife is great for fidgeting with because of higher number of opening options. Openings start at 0:45

All of the ways I open the knife in the video are easy and comfortable to do, with the exception of opening the knife with only the thumb. It was very awkward to try to open the knife with just the thumb. This comparison shot will give you a clue as to why. Here's the widest part of the opening hole on the Void and the Spyderco Para 3:

vU3mE0Th.jpg

The space is too narrow to comfortably open the Void with just the thumb. For me, that doesn't matter at all, and as you saw there are plenty of other options.

The handle feels relatively slick: The surface is so smooth that it feels like I have to grip it a little bit harder than other comparably sized knives I've owned. I wish there was a bit of texture with the inlay maybe. On the plus side, it makes taking it in and out of the pocket really smooth while still feeling like it's secure in the pocket while you're going about your day.

It took some fidgeting time to wear in: Out of the box it felt like the SBD thumb ramp/ detent was rough around the edges. It felt like it was affecting how smooth the knife opened and closed - like it needed to be finished or sanded down some more. That eventually went away, but the first impression was to question whether I liked the knife at all, if it was going to operate like that. A bunch of openings and closings resolved that issue completely.

Pics:

KE7oncKh.jpg

ByOUQsvh.jpg

H7zL2K6h.jpg

jgKO1oih.jpg

Side by side with CRK Small Sebenza (Ladder damascus, "Gold Leaf" CGG) and Spyderco Para 3 (Carbon Fiber, CPM S90V)
EGwwSoeh.jpg

Sharp By Design: Custom Arch Nemesis, Production Void
oM6RfBDh.jpg\

VVLw1c9h.jpg

a8s9FEkh.jpg

8eU1fP6h.jpg

Last edited:
Back