Sharp GEC Swedge

I've got a couple of GEC knives that I love except for the fact they have a super sharp swedge (the area where the narrowed top portion of the blade meets the untouched (fatter) part of the blade. Really annoying when I put my hand in my pocket and run across that sharp corner.

Anyone else notice this and what did you do to fix it? Just file it down? Tips on how to do it are appreciated.

Attachments

• 5C551067-90DD-422C-8F0C-E5F4F2A33D31.jpeg
    5C551067-90DD-422C-8F0C-E5F4F2A33D31.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
I noted this issue with the most recent 14 run. I've found that simply carrying the knife for a few weeks will reduce the sharpness of that edge to a less-than-annoying level. While a file would certainly work to round that edge over, merely dulling it a bit is sufficient. I'd probably try taking a few swipes on a soft Arkansas stone with the edge perpendicular to the stone.

Yes, the white rod on a Sharpmaker will do it a treat. I've notice this myself on some GECs, oddly it's the Clips rather than the Spears.:confused:

“Sharp swedge’s” and too strong of pulls are all too often brought up and even complained about....they’re one of GEC’s greatest attributes if you ask me. All of the most recent production GEC’s have lack luster pulls (putting it mildly). I loved it when every GEC had a 7+ pull.

As far as the swedges, a good clean cut sharp swedge is a sign of quality craftsmanship and manufacturing IMHO.

I run some finer grit wet dry sand paper from the tip up to the swedge along the spine with my finger and find it rounds off the sharp edges without scratching other parts of the blade and preserving the crispness

Swedges can be crisp without having hot edges. Not every maker/manufacturer gets it. Breaking the edges prior to finishing would be the best method but it adds a couple of steps of hand work.

I've noticed that they're not rounded, but I don't think I've found them sharp. I've had lots of GECs with swedges, including classic clip points like your example. I do think the tang corners (part that contacts the back spring when open) are left pretty sharp. But GEC definitely differentiates their knives from those of competitors (COUGH-case-COUGH) who polish the ever loving life out of every nook and cranny of their knives until they have a blunted feel.

I will break the sharp corners on my slipjoints with stones/ceramics, and a strop.

I will also do exposed backsquare/backstop junctions. GEC tends to leave those sharp.

Thanks guys. Fixed it with a few strokes on a 220 stone followed by some 600 grit sandpaper. Looks and FEELS much better.

Back