SharpByCoop • Gallery of Customs

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Boston Classic thread - Click here!

(I linked to the wrong thread. Coop)

I am extremely privileged to have earned work which enables me to encounter Custom Knives on a VERY regular basis. To the new viewer: I am a knife photographer who’s work is seen often on clients websites and, hopefully, in many knife publications. To the initiated, I am a collector, a contributor, a promoter, and a friend of ‘Custom Knives’.

But….I cannot be a friend to an inanimate object. Yet, through these masterpieces, I have made MANY friends and contacts. This is what keeps me interested and the ‘work’ rewarding.

Behind each and every knife I photograph are often a bevy of hard-working and talented people: Makers, Engravers, Sheathmakers, Dealers, Show Promoters, and even Shipping Agents, etc. And at the top of the list: Collectors and Users. Without them there would be no industry. We make this all valid. (I own 70+ Custom Knives. I walk-the-walk as well as talk-the-talk.) On these forums, I have made countless friends with people I may never meet face-to-face.

I’d like to start a thread which I will update often. You will see something new as it comes out of my studio, and I may go back to my extensive archives to add in something of visual interest. I encourage others to add your images to the thread if you wish.

I have a TON of work that comes to me from quality dealers. I will post origin credits, but the images will be barren of a watermark. I am not a selling dealer, nor do I want to slip in under the wire. Nonetheless, as a promoter of custom knives, and the owner of the photographs, I feel the more fine images and tantalizing opportunities we can see, the more this entire industry will prosper. I know you will agree.

I expect this thread to grow nicely. We look forward to your comments!

Best,

Coop

Last edited:
(As I add images, I will try to add them as clickable thumbs, so everyone can read a page without it clogging up the dial-up users.)

Engraved knives: This is an area in which TWO artists (sometimes just one!) collaborate and embellish on a knife. If it goes as planned, the sum is greater than the two parts.

Tom Overeynder and Joe Mason:

Tom Overeynder is one of THE most versatile makers I have encountered. He can do any style of knife and he does it with a precision that few can match. Very accomplished. Joe Mason's work is getting more and more demanding, and you can see why. Joe is the one who wished for me to photograph these works, and he is very proud of his artistry.

Johnny Stout and Jim Small:

Johnny is an accomplished folder maker and his work is always in demand. Jim Small is little known, but HIGHLY regarded engraver. One of my faves. You can see why.

More soon.

Coop

This one stopped me dead in my tracks. Ron hails from Texas, and sought me out because he saw an image of mine he liked in a magazine. His knife has so much going on he thought I could help him display it.

Check THIS out!

When the fork is folded and closed, it captures one of the two t-slot studs in a channel and holds it tight. Open the fork to release and separate. Gadget factor!

Coop

My own taste in knives is very diverse. I love the fancy stuff, but I also admire the hard-use and practicality of the 'tactical' genre of knives. Some of them, like this Jerry Hossum 'Revenge' just blows me away with it's curves. Here are two views:

(This one is now mine... :) )

Coop

It's a pleasure to view your work and the great knives you photograph.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Coop! thank you for all your great FREE advice on photography! The knives shown JUMP out at me! Thanks for sharing!

Since I admire both your work and the work of fine knife makers, I really like this thread.

Looking forward to a lot more photos.

Thanks again,
Del

Thanks Coop. I have become an admirer of your fine work over my past few weeks on this forum.

Thanks guys, for your kind words and support. I asked Kevin (Spark) before I started this thread to make sure I wasn't overstepping my bounds: "Nope, go for it."

I'm going to display some early work next. Later.....

Coop

As I look back in my archives, I find one of the very first images I added insets to. I think I used a program called 'Image Expert' which came with my original Epson 1.2mp digital camera.

orig.jpg

I remember being SO excited I entered it in the 'Custom Knife Directory's' weekly photo contest forum. It's a mess. :thumbdn: (CKD is now Knife Network, and I am a moderator of that forum, which is not weekly, but ongoing.)

Anyway I got clobbered. Guys like Fred Carter and other experienced buffs were all over it. But.... that lit the fire under me to excel. What would it take to WIN one of these contests? :confused: The challenge that propelled me was competition.

I entered more and more. Here is another that didn't place me on the podium:

(Rare Jack Levin dagger. Still mine.)

And again:

Finally I got a break. After entering about six times I got a good knife and a theme and captured the sympathy vote for this one, just surpassing Fred Carter. He probably voted for me because he is a gentleman.

Hill Pearce 'dagger' (actually a Med bowie, but who was to correct me then??!)

BTW, I took the time again about a year ago to recapture the original Reitveld 'Panache' dagger.. It has my style all over it now:

I notice I have always been a proponent of a lot of color. Still am. More history as I get to it. Next up is the defunctTheCustomKnife.com images which followed. If you are bored, then move along..... :yawn: ;) :p

Coop

This is cool Coop, going to be a very good thread !!!

It has been a pleasure working with you the last few years. Great work man!

If I`d be a knifemaker I`d had all my knives photographed by Coop ! :thumbup:

Guess they`d sell twice as fast!

Thanks a lot for the gorgeous photos you show us here AND for the one`s we are shown by the owners, Coop!!! :thumbup: :D

Back